5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book this year, November 19, 2012
This review is from: Balloon Pop Outlaw Black (Paperback)
I was the first person on the planet to buy a copy of this book. I consider that a special privilege because it's the best book I've read this year and would rank among my favorites of all time.

Though I was familiar with Patricia Lockwood's poetry before the book came out, the nature of her work means that familiarity doesn't preclude surprise. There are beautiful moments, glimpses of images that sneak up on the reader out of nowhere ("she was soft as map creases are"), only to recede as quickly as they came. My favorite thing about the poems, though, is their unexpected inevitability. They lead in unimaginable directions but always according to their own internal logic ("but the railroad / is coming out this way and we must give them a smear / to see through the windows"). When they arrive they ARRIVE. Lockwood's thoughts weave as if through a maze that only she can navigate, each turn in a different direction from the one we might expect. I think that's a measure of great poetry, the unexpected moment that stays with you, like a surprise party or an explosion. This book is a collection of moments I wish I'd thought of myself.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Cool, January 4, 2013
This review is from: Balloon Pop Outlaw Black (Paperback)
I'm not someone who is normally found reading poetry. But I have carried this book around with me for weeks now, sneaking quick reads from it when I have the chance. It is interesting and different and really makes you wonder what it means. I really enjoy this book a lot and plan to read more Lockwood as soon as possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Balloon Pop Outlaw Black, October 27, 2012
This review is from: Balloon Pop Outlaw Black (Paperback)
These 16 poems -- particularly the three long prose pieces that are the collection's framework -- teem with imagination. Readers of Lockwood's epic Twitter account have seen how far she can carry an image in 140 characters, but over a hundred pages the cumulative effect is astonishing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, October 1, 2014
This review is from: Balloon Pop Outlaw Black (Paperback)
A distinctive poetic voice definitely worth reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars love you, Patricia, February 11, 2013
This review is from: Balloon Pop Outlaw Black (Paperback)
I bought this book for my husband for Christmas. I love Patricia on Twitter, and was very happy to introduce her amazing wit to him.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, August 5, 2014
great

Balloon Pop Outlaw Black
Balloon Pop Outlaw Black by Patricia Lockwood (Paperback - October 15, 2012)
$12.00 $11.36