5.0 out of 5 stars Oh Yeah, August 28, 2007
pepeye (Albuquerque) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ballroom Stories (Audio CD)
Great. Great. Great. If you are a fan of any of the following you must get this disk: Quantic, Cut Chemist, De Phazz, Club Des Belugas, Mo' Horizons, Bonobo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trip Hop from the 1920's, January 30, 2010
Christian Kuech "Traveller" (St. Petersburg, Florida, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ballroom Stories (Audio CD)
I have Waldeck's excellent album "Balance of the Force", which I find myself listening to quite a bit considering its age. The tunes are somewhat timeless, the sound is crisp, it is a complete album that drags one off into a day-dream-scape.

Not knowing what to expect I got "Ballroom Stories" on a whim, simply because I liked "Balance of the Force" so much.
Well, "Ballroom Stories" is produced just as well, the sound is just as crisp, not a note out of place. That is where the similarities end.
Waldeck combines 1920's sound, singing reminiscent of the great Shirley Bassey, cool lyrics with modern Trip Hop components.
It is an unusual mix that works fantastically, is quite unusual and simply a lot of fun.

If you liked "Balance of the Force", appreciate bands like Morcheeba, Massive Attack, Nightmares on Wax, Thievery Corporation then this is a must-have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 13, 2008
This review is from: Ballroom Stories (Audio CD)
Loved the trip hoppy Night Garden album, but this is awesome and very classy. A hip dub infused update to retro loungy soulful jazz. For fans of Koop(Waltz for Koop), St. Germain(Tourist) and (Sacred Spirit, Vol. 8: Jazzy Chill Out)

5.0 out of 5 stars What a story, January 7, 2013
This review is from: Ballroom Stories (Audio CD)
I love all of your songs but, "addicted" is completely outstanding. I wish you the best of success for your future albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ballroom Stories, June 23, 2012
This review is from: Ballroom Stories (Audio CD)
Incredible take you back in time dance music. Google In Flagrante (New Zealand) and see how Waldeck's music can be used in dance - a little risque! Oh, excellent very quick delivery of product as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Masterpeice, October 29, 2008
This review is from: Ballroom Stories (Audio CD)
Run, don't walk to get this album. Waldeck pulls off effortlessly what so many artists aspire to sound like. I find it hard to describe - but imagine songs that sound like the vocals are sampled from classic jazz, R&B and cabaret eras, combined with back-up that sound like live trios or quartets, with a full range of instruments - piano, clarinet, brass, violin, saxophone and accordion. Beats range from lounge/chill, to dub, and to 20s swing. The soulful, sultry, female vocalists bring Waldeck's melodies and retro canvases alive. Add to that a crackle that doesn't sound like radio fuzz, but as if the music was coming off a gramaphone. Nice touch.

I enjoyed Waldeck's sophisticated, often dark electronica sound on other albums, but these masterful blends of retro sounds with contemporary beats and music reveal a much bigger composer at ease in a wider range of styles. Waldeck's electronic sounds often underpin the music in subtle ways, leaving the casual listener wondering what old movie the music came from. Make My Day, my favorite song, starts off more like an electronic chill/lounge song, but quickly takes you back to a 20s ambiance and, more importantly, makes you want to get up and dance.

Waldeck did not invent the styles he brings together here, but he shows deft craftsmanship and brings genuine artistry to a genre of music that aspires but usually falls short of the mark. According to his website, one song has already been used in a commercial. I think many more will show up on TV, but, more importantly, I think Waldeck should be scoring film. This is sophisticated music that will appeal to a broad range of listeners.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazzy sunday afternoon, June 8, 2008
This review is from: Ballroom Stories (Audio CD)
Some newspaper listed this as one of the best releases of 2007 and that's the reason I first listened to it. I'm no fan of any other jazz musician, so I cannot judge if this music is like any other, but for me it's nice and easy. It's a bit loungy, a little bit soul, a bit jazzy, but above all relaxed. that's why I like to listen to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just too cool!, September 22, 2008
This review is from: Ballroom Stories (Audio CD)
I love this cd! I play it all the time, and every single number is great.
On the top of my list right now. Waldeck's best by far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Greate product, reliable seller., November 15, 2010
This review is from: Ballroom Stories (Audio CD)
I found what I was looking for and it was sold at a very reasonable price.
So, the seller as well as the cd in question may well be recommended.

ARRAY(0xa5d30c30)

Ballroom Stories
Ballroom Stories by Waldeck (Audio CD - 2007)