Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ballykissangel: Complete Collection
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on February 27, 2011
This is a wonderful, funny, heartwarming and entertaining series. The characters are just like those people you would like to find in your own neighborhood. Small town living in rural Ireland is just the place to find peace and serenity. We always looked forward to the next episode to catch up on the happenings in the village.

The series goes along with relatively the same cast of actors who bring to the series a warmth and friendship and obvious talent to relate to each other. You almost feel like you're right there in the story. It gave you a good feeling. However, after series four the cast went through a lot of changes as did the story lines. Although, it lost much of what it had in the first four series, it still provided the warmth and wholesomeness that you don't see these days on American television. My wife and I viewed the entire series before we decided to purchase the complete set and we're glad we made the purchase decision. Now we can look at it over and over whenever we feel like going back to Ireland and enjoying the friendships again.

If you like a feel good series, Ballykissangel is just what you are looking for. There are solid performances in each episodes and a non sequential story. Each story is complete and not a continuation of the previous episode. Enjoy!
33 comments|73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 2, 2011
The single thing I wanted to point out here is that in the all-important third season, wherein the lead characters, Father Peter and his lady love Assumpta, leave the show, there is an episode gone AWOL. Episode 9, "The Waiting Game," is inexplicably missing. As far as I know it is not available on any release anywhere. This probably shouldn't stop you from buying it, but it certainly is strange.
1010 comments|56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 30, 2011
"BallyK" is my favorite of evey program, movie, or series I've ever seen in my life. Watch just a few episodes and you become addicted. I fell in love with in on PBS TV and am enjoying owning it. I can watch it over and over and still love it -- AND IT IS CLEAN AND VIOLENCE FREE -- just a good story of the people in a village in Ireland. I feel like a part of the village. THANK YOU BBC, PBS, and thanks, Amazon, for helping me get my own copy of it.
on May 6, 2012
I loved the first three seasons, but after that characters simply disappear without reason, new characters are introduced, some likable, some really annoying. It's obvious when the director changes. A couple of episodes are mostly slapstick. It reminds me of when MASH went bad. I watched all 6 seasons, but there was no resolution to many long-time situations. The men are all incompetent and the women are all really angry and borderline verbally abusive to the men. I've never seen so many cranky women in one place together! Since I thought the first three seasons were 5 star and the second three were zero, I gave it an overall 3 star rating.
on September 7, 2012
The product was shipped expeditiously and was in very good condition. Unfortunately, though the packaging stated the dvd's had closed caption, they did not. Since our family is hearing impaired the collection was unusable for us. They were returned.
on March 23, 2013
Downton Abbey fans searching for more quality BBC series just might want to try this wonderfully heart-warming set of episodes set in a small Irish village. No aristocracy, just realistic portrayals of village life and relationships. Just BE WARNED that as interesting as the special features are, you may want to wait until you've viewed all six seasons before checking them out. As early as the first season discs, marriages, births, and deaths that take place in future seasons are openly discussed -- killing some of the enjoyment.
VINE VOICEon June 16, 2011
This drama set in a small town in Ireland is less significant for its substance than for the days-gone-by nostalgia feel of it. It is a wonderfully simple program; a sort of Andy Griffith Show foundation enlivened by modernity. As the series begins we come to know an attractive pub owner who has vague qualms with the religion into which she was born. In time she begins to respect the new priest in town as he jockeys with his older generational priest-supervisor. Through this prism we can see what we want of Ireland's more recent development. The program encourages us to take sides between the traditionalist (sometimes selfish) church of the past, and a more lively (but less absolute) version of it, as evinced by this young priest from afar who stirs up this town a bit. It's not at all a religious program, mind you; just an overly unrepresentative portrayal of idyllic Ireland in which you cannot fail to include religion. Full disclosure: I like this show, but I also have Irish blood. I say this because this really is a program which appeals to a particular sort of individual; to one who either has Irish blood and/or for those whom Ireland has some draw. Ireland has an inherent appeal to many such people from around the world. Even if you have never visited it, can you not right now visualize vast green fields and rolling hills bordered by stone walls, snugly cozy pubs filled with glasses of Guinness raised, and smiling faces? Of course, I'm exaggerating here, but you must grant that Ireland is a far more attractive place than many others, at least in a theoretical quality-of-life sort of way. It's thought of as the sort of place where stress is not as prevalent as where one finds oneself; having a bygone character to it (notwithstanding this not to be as true in actuality, but like in many other things, imagination often persists over reality). If you are familiar with Garrison Keillor's public radio show, "A Prairie Home Companion" (Saturdays at 6 pm across the USA), Ballykissangel is to Ireland what the fictional town of "Lake Woebegone" is to the American heartland. I recommend both. Both evince what a part of us long for (if you are a nostalgic sort of person, regardless of your age--even a 25 year old can long for previous eras) and even though such may not suit us, it does make us inclined to enjoy programs like "A Prairie Home Companion" and "Ballykissangel".

This show though, like a brain, has two lobes of sorts, with the dividing line between the first 3 seasons (26 episodes) and the 2 seasons following them (24 episodes); with season 6 (an abbreviated season of 8 episodes) pretty much standing alone. (And whether you will enjoy season six comes down to the sort of person you are; whether you relish variety or prefer the TV shows, musical artists, actresses you like to be recognizably the same over their runs, careers. The answer to that will determine whether you easily accept the loss of 3 huge cast members---one of whom passed away in real life necessitating major changes---with 3 other supporting players moving on as well---that series six tries to recover from, and thus is not especially representative of the proceeding years of this still welcoming program to watch, but at one and the same time, just not the same anymore absent the fulcrum (raison d'être even) of the whole program.)

Season four, in this sense, is not just the fourth year of this program, but really is just the first of several attempts to digest huge cast changes. Bit players Liam & Donal who did their job well as hapless hired hands to the focal character of the show (Brian Quigley) have had their roles upped several fold during this year. Thus we see them dredge for gold balls in one of the water hazard's at Quigley's golf course. One of them mysteriously (with no explanation) becomes the guardian of a "pet" bear; a bear, who obviously then wreaks a bit of havoc. New faces are also introduced. The town has a new priest (who brings his sister), a new farmer (with his teenage daughter), and the old farmer's presence is complicated by the arrival of his nephew (also a young adult who predictably catches the eye of the new gal in town). In short, a lot is new herein & it takes a bit to absorb all of it since all 5 newcomers are introduced en masse. 3 of these, incidentally, are flat-out successful in the roles and add much to providing much needed ballast after the 3rd season lost the program's 2 central characters. Father Aidan, as the new understudy to Father Mac, helps to re-center the plot and his sister provides much needed liveliness. Change in series 5 is represented by the arrival of a new police Guard to town, and the character is a winning one---a woman this time, going by the name of Frankie, but she's attractive and capable in the role; but also rather more of a "tough guy" than Guard Egan (though also likable) ever was during the first 4 years. Ambrose Egan's widow, the aforementioned Niamh (who interestingly too, was Father Aidan actor Don Wycherley's real-life sister-in-law, providing an extra dose of natural emotion in this warm-hearted program & who can be seen in the fine Irish drama by the title of "The Hanging Gale" with the fabulous Michael Kitchen starring) is the star of this season. Tony Doyle, who plays her father Brian Quigley remains the character around whom the show really revolves; or his schemes, doings, etc. are responsible for many happenings in this series, as per the norm with previous seasons of BallyK.

After having viewed this series several times I am almost tempted to suggest newcomers to the series to start with season 4 and then "flashback," in effect, to the first 3 seasons so as to end with the most dramatic episodes of the entire series (which are the last 2 of season 3).

P.S. In case you're in the Dublin area one day, do take the time to visit the "set" of Ballykissangel, which isn't one at all actually; but rather is an one-street town (called Avoca) that was occasionally commandeered for filming. It's not that far from Dublin, where you can have a glass of stout in Fitzgerald's Bar ; and/or visit BallyK's church, as you walk into "the program," so to speak, that you have enjoyably watched from afar. (And, if you haven't seen it yet, do treat yourself to seeing Assumpta's Leo in the very Irish and funny film "Waking Ned Devine".) Cheers
on June 23, 2015
We are about half way through the set, and my wife and I could not be more pleased. We actually look forward to each new episode. It is full of the simple conditions of life, and the problems we all face. It has humor, Irish centered charm, quirky characters, and a refreshing absence of vulgarity, profanity, reference to body functions, and nudity. One actually cares about the characters, and the little interactions between them make for a very enjoyable hour or so of TV. The fact that there are no commercials seals the deal. If you like shows like Doc Martin and Lark Rise to Candleford, you will like this.
on February 19, 2014
I loved this show, but when I got the first order, it had two SERIES 3 and NO SERIES 4. I returned it for another collection... and it has all the SERIES, but they are not original and someone is "monkeying" with the COMPLETE COLLECTION. The SERIES 4 in this pack is packaged unlike the others... and the inserted SERIES 4 case had obviously been pulled from somewhere else or inserted... or previously used. Be aware of this before you order.
on December 7, 2014
We are enjoying the BallyKissangel collection. So far it's a fairly lighthearted depiction of small Irish town complete with conflicts between local interests, some interesting stereotypes and overall just a nice viewing experience. We find it completely entertaining, and I appreciate the lack of violence, no foul language, etc. It has a lot of humor without the suffocating stupidity of current USA sit-com TV shows. I'd say it's family friendly, and if you get it when it's on sale it's a very good viewing value for the dollars spent. If you need some sort of comparison, it's sort of along the lines of the Andy Griffith shows (for those of you old enough to remember it) but not quite as quirky as Northern Exposure :)