5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Change of Pace for Fans of Macallan 12
Published on February 13, 2012 by Steve H.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an OK Whisky, but for the price not so.
Published 2 months ago by Yechwando

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Change of Pace for Fans of Macallan 12, February 13, 2012
Steve H. (Seattle, WA, USA) - See all my reviews
Balvenie is an old distillery that still does everything the only fashioned way. Their copper stills are shaped differently than other distilleries and they turn all of their malt by hand (a rarity). The Doublewood is made the traditional way of being aged in bourbon casks. They age for 12 years and then they move them into casks that were used for sherry. They age them there to the taste of the master distiller (averaging about 9 months), then bottle this nectar up. This is the same method as Glenmorangie Lasanta, but with less smoke and peat and sweeter.

Doublewood is a fruitier, lighter scotch with very little smoke in the flavor. There is a strong hint of honey, followed by some caramel and spices (like cinnamon). The best way to describe this to my friends, and they all agree, is that it tastes like Macallan 12, but with cinnamon added. I love Macallan, but I love this more! I also love that it comes in a slightly shorter bottle so it stores a little easier than the wine-size of Macallan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best single malt value on the Market, April 20, 2013
This review is from: Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood Single Malt Scotch 750ml
I've been enjoying this fine spirit since the mid 90's when I first came into the wonderful world of scotch. I've tried everything from Aberlour to Lagavulin, Bunnahabhain to Yamazaki. Certainly there are finer scotches out there on the market, but none at the Balvenie Doublewood price point. The double barrel process that is employed to produce this fine spirit gives it a rich complexity, smooth taste and extremely fine finish. This 12 year old wonder spends the first part of its' life in a spent bourbon barrel and the latter years in an oaken sherry cask which gives it an aroma and taste that is hearty as it is smooth. Two fingers of this golden libation will induce a sense of euphoria in even the most unsettled man. Highly recommended! I actually have it in my will that I'm to be embalmed with this precious liquid when I finally kick it. Cheers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Complex, slightly sweet, rich, October 29, 2013
Brook (Berkeley, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood Single Malt Scotch 750ml
Last night, I was introduced to this wonderful single malt. I concur with other reviewers. It's not smoky. So, if you're after that, elsewhere is what you want. I like the hint of sweetness on top of what I would call, "almost buttery" - "round" if a taste can be said to be such? Then the flavours just keep coming on. Not as complex as some, but well balanced. My kind of scotch. Maybe yours?

5.0 out of 5 stars Great changeup for Macallan fans, February 13, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Best", May 5, 2012
This review is from: Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood Single Malt Scotch 750ml
The easiest way to describe this is like it's Macallan, but with more complexity..there's nothing like finishing in oak, especially after aging in sherry. It does NOT have a 'Cinnamon' finish...let's leave the inaccurate metaphors to the uninformed... it is smooth and rich and complex with no smoke. If you like scotch, this one's for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is my absolute favorite 12 year old!, February 13, 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Drink What You Like, January 27, 2013
This review is from: Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood Single Malt Scotch 750ml
I am not one you would call an expert on the different single malt scotches, but I do enjoy the taste of a pleasant, smooth scotch. Balvenie's 12 Year Old Doublewood is very pleasant to drink. I like the softness of the taste, how velvety it is, and the very pleasant lingering after taste. I've had it straight and on the rocks and it holds up well either way. It refreshes my taste when drinking it while smoking a cigar, and it stands well as single vice.

The other reviewers have done an excellent job describing its taste and they would have sold me, based on their reviews. My review just wants to say how enjoyable Doublewood is, and how it would make a very fine introduction to someone who is getting started on drinking single malt, or for that matter, any scotch.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's an OK Whisky, but for the price not so., October 14, 2014
This review is from: Balvenie 12 Year Old Doublewood Single Malt Scotch 750ml
This whisky does not possess the slightest hint of cinnamon or nutmeg for that matter. The strong bourbon and oak character is predominant with maple and vanilla notes struggling to ooze from in between. Overall, I wouldn't refuse a glass, but having paid $65 for a bottle, I am disappointed. I certainly wouldn't rush to buy another once this one is finished. Overall, a notch above Glenlivet, but for more than double the price I certainly expected more.