Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing STEM
Customer Discussions > Third forum

Band Approved Live Stream (Full CD Stream)

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 21, 2008 10:23:14 AM PDT
Troy says:
Last.fm has a live stream of the full cd running now.

http://www.last.fm/music/portishead/third?autostart=1

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 6:18:14 PM PDT
Adam says:
I have an account there. They always tend to stream a lot of stuff in bad quality and this wasn't any exception. I thought the leak sounded a lot better. I'm so excited to have the actual album though. Just to have it in my hands. This album and the build up to the release is incredible. This seems like more of an event than an album release.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 7:51:35 PM PDT
Troy says:
Same here, I can't wait to buy the CD.

The more I listen, the more I like it. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 10:01:14 PM PDT
Adam: "I have an account there. They always tend to stream a lot of stuff in bad quality and this wasn't any exception."

Can you blame them? I keep hearing about programs that can rip streaming media, although I've never used the stuff myself. I'm certain that last.fm (and Portishead themselves) are taking pains to make it listenable, but not at the expense of buying the finished product.

Besides, the opening track always ends abruptly when I stream it...that can't be the final edition, can it?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 10:44:22 PM PDT
Adam says:
I don't know all the specifics about streaming media but I do know you can stream it at a better quality than that. That sounded worse than 128 kbps. But yeah you could be right about them purposely streaming it at a terrible quality to get fans to buy the cd.

Yes, that track does end abruptly. I thought that was a mistake in ripping it as well until I saw them do it on current tv. Now, I know for a fact that was purposely done. That's not the only track that ends abruptly either. I like the abrupt endings. It's an interesting way to end a song to say the least.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008 11:39:56 PM PDT
So do the tracks just run into each other without gaps or do you get sudden endings with a few seconds' silence in between? That'll take some getting used to. Looks like I'll be doing some DIY fade-outs when I spin this album on the air.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2008 9:51:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2008 9:53:26 AM PDT
Adam says:
Oh, I really couldn't tell you from the leak. There is like 8 seconds of silence after each track that aren't supposed to be there so it was kind of hard to tell. I would have to listen to the actual cd to answer your question. I'll tell you on Tuesday. Haha. I doubt it'll flow like dark side of the moon or something like that but who knows?

Good luck on your radio show or whatever it is. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2008 10:43:08 AM PDT
Thanks...my show's on Tuesday in the afternoon, which means I'm picking up the CD as soon as my favorite brick-n-mortar opens its doors that morning. (Sorry, Amazon, this is a time-sensitive issue.) I've already built my opening set upon "Silence".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2008 6:12:01 PM PDT
Troy says:
Check your local Walmart this weekend those kids don't care about release dates. LOL

My local wally world I usually get new releases three days ahead of time.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2008 8:50:03 PM PDT
Adam says:
Wal Mart is getting it? I'll be damned. I'm definitely not going there though. Wal Mart is the devil. Plus I also want to get the new Breeders album and I know they don't have that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2008 9:51:10 PM PDT
I remember going to three different Wal-Marts on the day the DVD for A Hard Day's Night was released and not a one of them had it on the shelves. How times change.

I'm sticking with my favorite record shop (yes, black wax is still plentiful there) even if the big chains can beat their price. They've always been good to me (and the station where I volunteer), so I'm happy to return the loyalty.

BTW, Adam, even though I feel you on not wanting to give the Walton estate your business, I wouldn't rule out the possibility of that new Breeders adorning their shelves. I've been shocked at some of the things I've seen them stock (of course, I can't think of any examples now that I'm pressed).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 23, 2008 11:24:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 23, 2008 11:25:38 PM PDT
Adam says:
Well, I guess I'm not 100% anti Wal Mart. The Wal Mart near me also sells groceries so I do purchase groceries there from time to time. And I did check if they had the new Breeders album and they did not. Haha. I guess I'm only anti Wal Mart when it comes to purchasing art of any kind.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2008 12:23:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2008 11:35:51 PM PDT
"I guess I'm only anti Wal Mart when it comes to purchasing art of any kind."

They impress me with the occasional decent $5 DVD (Nashville in widescreen!), but I can't recall the last CD I bought there. I miss their $1.96 cutout bins.

EDIT: I remember now...Feist's Let It Die for $8.96 in the early fall of '05. Coin well spent.

About 8.5 hours 'til I pick up Third...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2008 10:25:07 AM PDT
Mark says:
Walmart does have occasional good deals on music. And with the music industry as a whole being in trouble, they are able to get "exclusive" new releases for some artists or certain "special edition" releases. So yes I have bought music there. I've bought music everywhere actually, I don't care who sells it to me.

And in response to an earlier comment regarding records, I have heard that vinyl is making a huge comeback. It's still a niche market but it doesn't appear to be disappearing as many thought it would. It might actually outlast CDs when all is said and done.

I too cannot wait to get this album.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2008 11:11:30 AM PDT
This is the worse CD in the history of Portishead.
My ears I am going to explode
I like Portishead but this disc it make me depressing.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Third forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Apr 21, 2008
Latest post:  Apr 28, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions