Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 17 reviews(4 star). Show all reviews
HALL OF FAMEon September 6, 2001
At last I have found a soundtrack score that is worth listening to without the visual aspect of the film--in this case teleseries--for which it was composed. I doubt if I will ever get to see the HBO miniseries "Band of Brothers" since I do not subscribe to that station, but I certainly would be motivated to do so based on the 20 tracks of music on the Sony CD (SK 89719). The music of Michael Kamen is arresting, moody, exciting, and quite beautiful in turns; and I especially liked the track in which a chorus was singing "Plaisir d'amour." The inclusion of a few minutes from a Beethoven String Quartet is a little tacky; but in general, this disc is surprisingly worth the listen.
on October 27, 2003
The music to the crowned miniseries resembles the miniseries itself: deliberate, thoughtful and militaristic -all told in the convincing voice of a storyteller. The highs and lows of drama and suspense, the comradeship and (ill) fortune - Kamen utilises it all successfully in a coherent score.
To me, this is Kamen's most intelligent and beautiful score to date. Mostly known for his music to McTiernan films and Metallica's "Symphony & Metal" concert, Kamen is a man of osmosis and influence. Never shying back for utilizing other people's music to better his own, he is both loathed and loved.
He should be loved for this album. In this score, little is not his. As the series is inspired by the film Saving Private Ryan, the music to the series is inspired by John William's score for named movie. Luckily, Kamen extends no further in this than `the feel'. He brings out his full symphonic talents to create the fluxating sensations of melancholy and dreariness, where the typical military march influences sound like pounding Roman galley drums rather than proud propaganda.
The other influence besides Williams, is Beethoven's "String Quartet in C-Sharp Minor (OPUS 131)". In the series it plays over the event of `discovering the camp' - yet it fits in with the other music like the piece of a puzzle. Again, it is not copying themes and instrumentations that Kamen applies, it is mood and key.
We can hope Kamen will stay on this path of enhancing and deepening his symphonic capacities. That is not to say his other musical scores are flat for using pop and rock influences, but to me at least, it is this orchestral music that truly touches a snare. I was, at the least, blissfully surprised by Michael Kamen's mindful music for "Band Of Brothers". Set aside any possible reservations at buying another Kamen album: this one is definitely worthy of praise.
This one gets four stars.
Bram Janssen,
The Netherlands
on December 27, 2002
Michael Kamen, who wrote about 10 hours of music for this series, was very dedicated to this project for a long time and his dedication to the music and the story shows in this soundtrack, which is a brillant piece of music. The music really takes off in the first 4 tracks, with the main theme, 2 lengthy suites from the film, and "The Mission Begins" which showcase all of the themes. The rest of the tracks go to traditional orchestral underscoring with the lack of these themes, except in just a few places. Had the themes been played like they were before more often, this would have gotten a solid 5 star rating. "Swamp" contains a great solo for woodwinds. "Spiers' Speech" contains light strings, along with a piano solo. The theme returns again in "Winters On Subway", this time in a piano solo. A boys choir is featured in "Plaisir D'Amour", which gives a unique and light touch to it. The last 3 tracks do shine once again, with the main theme making a final appearance, and the use of Michael Kamen's daughter, Zoe, on vocals in the final track. Overall though, a great soundtrack that although not as good in the middle, really shines at the beginning and at the end (especially at the beginning). One of the better war movie scores that showcases Kamen's great writing talent and a job well done by the London Metropolitan Orchestra.
on May 28, 2013
This music is a fantastic accompaniment to the miniseries. Rather than create high-energy battle music or try to evoke the 40's, Kamen chose to write a beautiful, elegiac requiem for the real people who the story is about. The main theme is quite moving and holds up well to relistening. I heard it played by the Army band on the anniversary of D-Day, which is a stamp of approval from a meaningful source.

The reason I don't give it five stars is that I think it works better spread out over ten episodes than listening to it all at once in soundtrack form. Still, a good purchase if you enjoyed the miniseries.
on January 19, 2002
When I first watched the HBO-miniseries BoB (can't believe they haven't got it on video), the first thing that blew me away literally was the emotional main theme, with the flashing montages of the soldiers from the show, in different scenes.
Unlike other shows where I can't wait for the intro to be over, this is one show which I purposely tuned in early just so that I would not miss the intro.
It's really amazing how the music touches you in the same way the movie did. I actually feel the same way for certain other movies that were composed by John Williams (do I have to say what they are? well Ok, Superman and Star Wars).
But because the show was based on reality and not some drawnout fantasy of a creative person and that the events in the show actually happened and the amazing thing is that this movie soundtrack is actually a THEME of some sorts to the actual men who went through the war...whew
I don't think another another excellent movie-score combo is gonna come our way anytime soon, but I will bask in the music that is already here on this BoB CD, while hopelessly awaiting the actual movie on video.
All the tracks are almost equally glorious and emotional and it's hard to single out any quality few, but here goes:
Track One - What can I say, it's the main theme and I couldn't wait for the intro for each episode just to listen to this.
Track Three - Excellent, excellent tune, because it's melodic, sweeping and glorious all at once.
Track Four - Mission begins and so do the anxiousness and tune feels the same too, yet it's not fear that's present, but bravery and anticipation for something greater.
I think I could go on...but I just wanna say, buy the CD, watch the movie. When the ride is over, you'll want to start all over again. And again. And again....Enjoy :) and thanks, Mr Michael Kamen et al.
on March 17, 2002
When I first listened to this CD, I was amazed with the main title and how beautiful it was. Michael Kamen's score for the HBO miniseries "Band Of Brothers" can be compared with John Williams' elegiac work for "Saving Private Ryan". After all, we are talking about the music for war dramas.
As I said before, the main theme is very beautiful and very touching. Next you get to listen to the two suites (tracks 2 and 3), and Kamen portrays the heroism of the soldiers on this T.V. show. They might sound a little like "Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves", but they have a different identity, a more militaristic mood. The suites are kinda formulaic for dramatic purposes that they are quite difficult to appreciate. However, I really enjoy 'Bull's Theme' which, I think, conveys a tragic moment in the story -I haven't seen the miniseries yet -and 'Plaisir D'amour' which has a female voice that sounds enchanting, yet dark.
Maybe the suites are heavy, but the themes for "Band Of Brothers" are fantastic. I think Michael Kamen has done a very good job in here.
on February 23, 2006
I thought that after purchasing the Band of Brothers cd that it was a very relaxing cd, but incredibly done. Fantastic!
on January 14, 2010
The track entitled "nixon's walk" is listed as being written by michael kamen. However, it is merely arranged by him. The piece is (in english) called "when i am laid in earth" by Henry Purcell and was written in the 17th century. It is used in other films, including a similar arrangement in the movie "downfall" from 2004. The original piece includes a female vocalist and I highly recommend finding a copy of it as it is even more beautifully dark than Kamen's string arrangement.

In reviewing the whole soundtrack, I loved it and thought it was appropriate throughout. Some of the best music ever written for tv and on par with any great war film score.
on February 10, 2010
If you were like me, you had to have a LOT of time to devote to this epic series; I had to watch it in one go. Truthfully told, and wonderfully acted, the film preserves not only the history of the D-Day invasion, but has interviews with the men who were there; a generation the likes of which we'll never see again. This haunting and inspiring soundtrack crafted by the late, great Michael Kamen is a must-have for your library.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2009
Enjoyed the mini-series and wanted to have the music. Found that the soundtrack CD was beautifully orchestrated and it gave me the same enjoyment as watching the movie. Hauntingly beautiful reminder of the horrors of war. The big enjoyments came from the 3 suites (one is almost 10 minutes long). The minor tracks on the CD were a little repetitive.