Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on May 16, 2013
I thought the book was fascinating. Lots of "name-dropping" which most will enjoy. Pamela has/had the unusual ability to be a complete "flower child" - no regrets, no apologies - having sex with some of the most famous iconic rock stars and somehow coming out as a non-jaded innocent. I love her spirit.
on July 16, 2007
When I first heard of Miss Pamela when I was 12 years old, I wanted to be her. Her story is compelling and her experience was amazing. What this book really does for me is fill in the blank of the emotion behind the music and their scene. Miss Pamela has an ability to love and an unwillingness to judge that I wish I possessed. A great read!!
on May 15, 2013
There is nothing like a good coming of age story--a story about the years in which we go from being teenagers to grownups, the years in which we learn how to stop taking from our parents and start giving to the world. To choose our path in life, find ourselves, and fall in love.

Pamela Des Barres (nee Miller)'s coming of age tale is not only extraordinary because she came of age as the sixties were beginning to blossom; she attended the Human Be-In, she protested for peace; she saw some of the biggest acts of the day not only in concert but as they were getting their first gigs at the Whiskey and at the Troubador. And some of her paramours are some of rock and television's biggest stars. Chris Hillman, Jimmy Page, Don Johnson, Michael Des Barres, Jim Morrison, Noel Redding, Nicholas St. Nicholas, Woody Allen, and Michael Des Barres grace the pages of her book, as well as her high school sweetheart Bobby Martine (who gets as many pages as some of the more famous guys), who she saw between auditions and acting class and her pursuit of The Hollywood Dream.

The diaries she kept as the years went by served to give her the writing skills she needed to pass this very special time onto those of us not lucky enough to see it for ourselves.

In addition to making us feel the vibes, smells, fashions, and sounds of the sixties, she bonded and was mentored by (and mentored in return) some truly incredible women--Gail Zappa, Cynthia Plaster Caster, Melanie Griffith, her beloved GTO's, Catherine St. James. This is story of a woman who really understood what sisterhood was all about, in a way few women do.

The first time I read this book I was just going into college...twenty years later, it's just as juicy, just as insightful, and just as fun a read as it was that first time around.

So, do yourself a favor--pick up a copy, pour yourself a glass of wine or iced tea, turn off your phone, and enter the Peace Generation...inarguably the last Great Generation, of which she was a huge part. You know how you pick up one of those books that you just fall into, and it's like having a wonderful adventure? This is just such a book.
on November 8, 2015
I was about 1/4th into this book and thought "There's no way this is all true." But it was, and it was delightful, funny and heart wrenching all in one. Pamela embodied the spirit of the 70's. She was literally in the right place at the right time, a whole lot. I'm late to the party on this, as the book's been out for a long time, but it's a timeless biography - an amazing story and I totally loved her by the end.
on July 5, 2013
Aside from Pamela Des Barres annoying over the top narcissism, a couple of things about this book bothered me. In her description of the circumstances surrounding the death of Gram Parsons she twists things up. It is widely known and publicized that he died in Room 8 at the Joshua Tree Inn and that his body was later taken by Phil Kaufman from LAX. Her account is that Gram passed away in Room 10 while sitting in a turquoise naugahyde chair as he was looking out over the desert. She then tells that his body was taken from a train. In my opinion, a seemingly weird attempt at embellishing his demise not to mention an insult to the intelligence of the reader. Also, throughout the book, Whisky a Go Go is misspelled as is Kaufman's name. In my opinion, no credibility and horrible editing. I purchased the version for iPad and quickly sent it to my Cloud. I wish I could take it one step further and and say "Get Off of My Cloud". Complete garbage.
I read this book when it first came out and I let a friend borrow it. I need it back. This book is a page-turner, hard to put down biography of a very determined young woman. Very good pictures also! Pamela even had her own group called Gto's managed by Frank Zappa(whom she used to babysit for.
on February 8, 2015
This begins back in the days when you could see Jimi Hendrix Experience at the Whiskey A-Go-Go for a couple bucks.
Before a groupie turned into something else--later on. These girls were friends with rock stars, who were still on their way up.
Local girls hanging out with bands in local clubs. Pamela talks about her friendship with several people -- her intense crush
on some, and later her intense relationships with them. This isnt a meet me backstage romp. These are relationships..where
you go shopping and they call you from other cities etc. Later in the book, she gets older and times change. She's living with
Frank Zappa & his wife/kids. Zappa forms a girls group, that she's in. ITS A REAL PAGE TURNER...if youre a 60's & 70's person
on March 25, 2013
So much fun to read. Pamela has such a way with words and I love her raw honesty. It's especially interesting to read if you are from LA (like myself) and recognize all of the areas and places she mentions throughout the book. This book definitely inspired me to live life more carefree and to not sweat the little things. BE HAPPY, CONNECT WITH PEOPLE, & ENJOY THE JOURNEY!
on October 7, 2015
How about 3.5 stars......Liked it initially but after awhile, the lifestyle thing got old. I bought it because I'm a Zappa fan and wanted to see her insight.
on February 19, 2011
I was born in 1959,but would tack a few years onto my age to have been a teenager in the 60's. Oh, and to have met the people she met......What fun! It was fun to imagine I was Pam while reading the book.