5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and addictive, May 24, 2012
A. Grishin "sser2" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Try this if you want something new. I learned about this music while listening to the radio driving through California Central Valley. Four particular songs hooked me up (of which only one is on this CD): Amor Confuso (Gerardo Ortiz), El Mejor Perfume (La Original Banda el Limon), Mi Olvido (Banda Sinaloense MS), and Lo Que Penso de Ti (Banda Carnaval). This CD presents 2012 hits from the five leading bands: Banda Sinaloense MS, Banda Los Recoditos, La Arrolladora Banda el Limon, La Original Banda el Limon, and Banda el Recodo. Every track is highly enjoyable.

Bandas, which originated from brass bands of German Mexican expats, became traditional Mexican music. A banda consists of about 15 people and has bass drum with cymbal on top, tuba, baritone, trombones, trumpets, and clarinets. Sometimes there is a snare drum and ethnic percussion. There is 1, 2, or 3 singers, almost exclusively male (2 most often) who sing unison. Except for the singers who use microphones, a banda is totally acoustical. A traditional banda usually plays something that can be traced to polka. However, Bandas Romanticas, which emerged on the music scene quite recently, departed from the polka and invented a totally new style, while preserving the structure of a banda. The key signature is melody line switching back and forth from trumpets to clarinets; the trumpet tone, loud and pleasing, is immediately recognizeable when you tune the radio. Bass drum provides rythm, like in a traditional banda. However, tuba and baritone do not make rythmic "Oumph" as in a traditional banda, but instead add embelishments to accentuate the melody. The music is uplifting and goes very well with driving.

Most members of Bandas Romanticas are kids in their 20s. The selections on this CD attest to the highest levels of talent and professionalism in both composition and performance.

I am 60, I listen mostly to classical music, but like to explore all other styles in search of novelty and talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Music!, November 23, 2011
This CD I originally ordered from the commercial on Univision because it had a bunch of the songs that I really liked and couldn't find the names of. I ended up letting a friend borrow the cd and never got it back so I bought the one here so I could have it on my cloud drive.

Las Bandas Romanticas de America
Las Bandas Romanticas de America by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)