Customer Discussions > The Bends forum

Bands I've Really Tried to Like but...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 11, 2011 9:23:16 AM PDT
Everyone has bands that they SHOULD like, that they TRY to like because they like similar bands/music, but no matter how many times you listen to them you just can't see what all the fuss is about. You might like a couple of their songs, you might love one of their albums but overall you just can't get there. Here are mine:
1) Radiohead
2) The Smiths
3) Big Star
4) Sonic Youth
5) Bruce Springsteen
6) Iron Maiden
7) The Clash
8) Alice In Chains
9) My Morning Jacket
10) Beck

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2014 9:17:20 PM PST
Alan says:
Congratulations. You have ventured into the realm of what Bob Goldthwait called "Melba Toast" music. It's not really bad but not really that great or barely even good. Like melba toast you can give or take it. Numbers 1, 2, 4, and 9 are among the chief offenders in this category. No harm really done but you're in a silent majority who are wondering how these clothes-less emperors came to such prominence. Call it the recoil effect from those genuinely turned off by top-40/pop drech - this AAA (which barely has any "alternative" street cred). Music fans have to have somewhere to go so they haplessly adopt all these morose warblers just to get away from the teeny-bobber side of the entertainment spectrum. It's head-scratching and you'll no doubt see the an endless parade of these self-absorbed acts on Austin City Limits and other outlets where folks feel they're "supposed" to like these charlatans but are quietly asking themselves, "Why"?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  The Bends forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Jun 11, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 22, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
The Bends
The Bends by Radiohead (Audio CD - 1995)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (681)