5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most brilliant takes on a sitcom I have ever seen
Published on June 12, 2009 by R. McAdams

3.0 out of 5 stars pay attention
when ordering from this vendor pay attention. If you are living in the US this product will not play in your dvd player because it is not formatted to the correct region
Published 22 months ago by Amanda Hale

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most brilliant takes on a sitcom I have ever seen, June 12, 2009
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
Every situation comedy (sitcom) has to come up with a unique angle to view reality through, in the hopes of finding the humor in life. In the past, this was generally done in family situations with "zany" characters. That type of sitcom has also largely been done to death. Even the "group of funny friends" situation is starting to be overdone. Friends did it. How I Met Your Mother is currently doing it (very well I might add), Seinfeld did it, etc.

In "The Big Bang Theory" we are thrust into the lives of 3 genius level scientists, and one super-genius level scientist. The story needed its "Spock" or "Mr. Data" to explain to the rest of us what on Earth they were talking about, so we got Kaley Cuoco playing the lay-person's character of "Penny." As the genius scientists have to explain to her what they are talking about, it clues the rest of us in too.

The result of the situation this comedy is taking place in, is an inside look into a world most of us have never seen, nor do we understand. As someone who took both levels of introductory physics (and passed!) in college, I can tell you that their subject matter is accurate, and also way over the undergraduate level. The characters are pure genius, and pretty much every episode is hilarious and filled with heart.

I highly recommend this show to anyone looking for a good sitcom to watch. It isn't a "science show" -- no more than "Sports Night" was a "sports show." It is a comedy show, and it is darn funny! The Big Bang Theory is now entering its third season, and I strongly recommend you all support it so we can keep this quality entertainment on the air!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Future Classic, March 23, 2009
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
There is very little on TV that I consider worth watching. Big Bang is at the top of the list.This show has excellent writing,excellent character development,and excellent acting.The 1st year was great and the 2nd is just as good.This is one series that you can watch over and over and it's just as enjoyable as the first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Funniest Sitcom Ever, February 14, 2009
Christy (Centennial, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
Started watching this half way through the 1st season. Became a fan immediately. I even bought 5 more DVDs for my friends and family as Christmas gifts and now they are hooked too. The writing is smart and fun. I catch something new every time I watch it, whether it is a prop, clothing or dialogue. Makes me have a good laugh every time. I can't wait for the 2nd season to come out on DVD even though I have watched all the episodes so far. I know I have missed things in each episode

5.0 out of 5 stars Equally As Brilliant As The First., May 1, 2009
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
Season 1 of this purely genius show really set the tone for what has rapidly become my ultimately favourite sitcom. The show is based around 4 unsociable nerds and their relationship with their socially integrated neighbour, Penny (Kaley Cuoco). The four friends are Leonard (Johnny Galecki), Raj (Kunal Nayyar), Howard (Simon Helberg) and Sheldon (Jim Parsons).

In many of the American sitcoms, there is always the one stand out character that means you watch the show whenever you can as they never fail to make you chuckle. In "Friends" it was mainly either Chandler or Joey and in "Frasier", for me it was always Niles. So in Big Bang Theory their stand out character is without a doubt, Sheldon, played by the fantastic Jim Parsons. He is the socially inept but academically gifted and uptight gem of the entire series. From the minute he enters the screen, he owns the show with his uptight ways and the intelligence with which he delivers his lines.

During the course of Season 1, the relationship between Leonard and Penny was explored as a way of removing it from any future possibility allowing the characters to be focused on in more personal detail. In Season 2 we are treated to a number of excellent treats including Leonards mother coming to visit, Sheldon trying to become more sociable by creating a friendship algorithm and trying to get a grip on sarcasm.

Out of the entire second season, I have two favourite episodes that I can watch again and again, and it's thanks to the genius of the Sheldon character. "The Bath Item Gift Hypothesis" is just genius and perfectly encapsulates the character of Sheldon into one brilliant episode. Penny buys Sheldon a Christmas gift and now has an obligation to buy her a gift of equal monetary value. Alternatively, Leonard meets his intellectual superior who enters into a relationship with Penny, leaving Leonard a bit on the jealous side. The exchanging of gifts is the truly splendid moment of the episode as the gift Penny has bought for Sheldon is a used napkin signed by Leonard Nimoy (Spock); the reaction has to be witnessed.

"The Maternal Capacitance" is also another stunning episode and is purely down to the introduction of a new Sheldon-esque character; Leonard's Mother (Christine Baranski). She's a psychiatrist completely detached from any emotional feelings and around others is emotionally and socially awkward. Sheldon on the other hand appears completely comfortable around her and as she's alienating everybody else; she gets on swimmingly with Sheldon. This is a character I would want to see more of in the future as her initial appearance was divinely hysterical.

A season of belly laughs that leaves an opening for a promising third and fourth season and any fan should own this set upon its release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Socially inept, January 29, 2009
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
I think this sitcom belongs up there with the all time greats- I love Lucy, All in the Family, The Beverly Hillbillies, (insert your favorite classic sitcom here). I purchased the first season, and can't wait for the second to become available. Sheldon is just so "out there". I love the whole cast.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh-out-loud FUNNY!, March 25, 2009
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
This is by far the best/most underrated sitcom/show on T.V. Very smart! Laugh-out-loud funny! Unlike most "sit-com's", you are guaranteed to "laugh-out-loud" a few times during each and every episode. Terrific ensemble cast and tremendous writing. Their should definitely be numerous award nominations and hopefully wins for acting, writing, ensemble cast, etc. A treat!

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't Miss a Beat, January 23, 2009
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
Our favorite sitcom continues to develope its characters, and there's plenty left. I disagree utterly with the previous reveiwer. I think his high school angst is blinding him to the obvious. Sorry I can't give the series 6 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best show on television, July 15, 2009
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
I have watched this show from the beginning, at first because nothing else interesting was on, but now my family and I are hooked. Sheldon is so socially inept it is hilarious, with his friends having to hold up signs denoting when sarcasm is being used. It's not your typical "dumb vs. smart" storyline, because the geniuses cannot function in social situations, whereas Penny is their "bridge" to the "normal", while getting her own education on how different people function.
Something unusual I have noticed, as a mom to children with autism, is many family members of autistics tune in, and I have recommended it to my psych classmates simply because it is so funny and quirky.

5.0 out of 5 stars big bang of laughter!, March 15, 2009
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
This show has got to be one of the most original comedies in a long time. It's nice to have a break from sitcoms with conventional characters. Plenty of shows have had the typical "geek" such as Urkel or Screech, but it's nice to see a show that dared make eccentric geniuses stars of the show. It never fails to make me laugh so hard to the point of tears. I hope Big Bang Theory lasts many many seasons.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, I'll be able to erase them from my DVR., July 11, 2009
Christina H. (Newberg, OR USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD (DVD)
This show has some of the most intelligent writing and best acting of any sitcom in years. It really does rank right up there with the classics. I've been recording and SAVING every episode from the second season on my DVR and replaying them over and over. The Sheldon character is one of the best I've ever seen on TV. He will have a following for years to come. The first episode of season 2 is FANTASTIC. Buy season 1 AND season 2 they are worth every "Penny".

The Big Bang Theory The Complete Second Season DVD