5.0 out of 5 stars A useful book my kid actually is using!
Published on September 10, 2011 by iJean

3.0 out of 5 stars Past tense verbs
Word lists are great, but all the verbs are past tense. I teach 8th grade, and we write about literature, so we work on writing using present tense.
Published 9 months ago by L

5.0 out of 5 stars A useful book my kid actually is using!, September 10, 2011
This review is from: Banish Boring Words!: Dozens of Reproducible Word Lists for Helping Students Choose Just-Right Words to Strengthen Their Writing (Paperback)
I've purchased many books to help my 10 year old son improve his writing skills, and they are all collecting dust. He's an excellent reader, but didn't enjoy writing very much. His sentences were always short, and "boring." He actually found this book interesting, and has been writing longer sentences, and is actually having fun using more descriptive words! I highly recommend this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Perfect, October 11, 2011
I just received and went through it; it exactly what I need to help improve my students' vocabulary!! I would recommend this book to anyone who is trying to improve their writing and develop his/ her vocabulary!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE it!, November 4, 2011
Casandra Perry (Jackson, Georgia United States) - See all my reviews
I am currently teaching creative writing to three 6th graders in our home-school co-op. We have already gotten a nice big list of adjectives, and we work on our personal lists of words as we go along. The great thing about this book is the division into the categories. For example, several pages are replacements for the word "said." There are pages and pages of action verbs. Another section lists replacements for boring verbs. For example, the word "danced" has suggested replacements of "waltzed," "swayed," "boogied," "shimmied," and several more. We used this in class recently to change the setting of a couple dancing by changing ONLY the verb (i.e., no description of the setting). It was a fun exercise - the kids really enjoyed describing where the couple would be if they were "boogieing." LOL
The BEST thing about this book, hands down, is the fact that I can make copies of the lists I want the kids to have (for example, the "said" replacements) without having to buy a copy of the book for each student.
If you need to help a frustrated writer, or just want to improve your own work, get this book. It is worth every penny!

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes, it's like a thesaurus but more fun for kids, January 8, 2013
A couple of the reviews say to buy a thesaurus instead and yes, a thesaurus is a more effective tool for all possible words if you are an adult, but for kids, elementary through teen, who enjoy creative writing, this is a fun, easy book. It offers words that are not necessarily offered in an online or traditional thesaurus, but offers instead "fun" words to replace "normal" words - like offering "blueberry" instead of just the word "blue." That is not necessarily a thesaurus replacement but instead a way to get the kids to write more effectively, so that the reader can visual the actual shade of color rather than just blue. I love it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Full of great word choices, October 27, 2012
This book contains several word lists that offer great alternative words for kids to use. I teach fourth grade and my students appreciate having it so they can look up synonyms and use more interesting words in their writing. Everything in this book is fantastic, I just wish it was organized a little differently.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Resource for Writers!, July 23, 2012
As a writing teacher this is one of the best resources to hand out to students. They really enjoy finding alternative words and they make it a challenge. This is a must-have for teachers who find students overusing words and want to liven up their students' writing! WHAT A STEAL for the price, too! The awesome organization makes this book very easy to use as well. A++

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, November 4, 2012
A must have! My 5th grader uses this in her writing all the time, while my 3 rd grader has just started using this. Very simple and easy to understand, this book can be used all the way thru college level.

5.0 out of 5 stars Banish Boring Words book, March 17, 2012
This is an excellent resource for teachers to use and provide to students. Great for expanding vocabulary when writing. Would recommend regular ed teachers, special ed teachers, and ELL educators at the elementary level through possibly high school to take advantage of this inexpensive resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ths book is great!, March 27, 2011
My children use this book very often. Whenever we need a word the children refer to this book. The school has given out sheets of paper that is similar to this book. I use this book whenever I am trying to find a different book. This is a very helpful easy to use book for children. My 7 and 10 yr old use this easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars fabulous!, November 11, 2009
What a great resource! This is just the book I've been looking for to help my students write! Bravo! What a great idea! Thanks for providing this valuable tool!