Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Banish Boring Words!: Dozens of Reproducible Word Lists for Helping Students Choose Just-Right Words to Strengthen Their Writing
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on September 10, 2011
I've purchased many books to help my 10 year old son improve his writing skills, and they are all collecting dust. He's an excellent reader, but didn't enjoy writing very much. His sentences were always short, and "boring." He actually found this book interesting, and has been writing longer sentences, and is actually having fun using more descriptive words! I highly recommend this book!
on January 8, 2013
A couple of the reviews say to buy a thesaurus instead and yes, a thesaurus is a more effective tool for all possible words if you are an adult, but for kids, elementary through teen, who enjoy creative writing, this is a fun, easy book. It offers words that are not necessarily offered in an online or traditional thesaurus, but offers instead "fun" words to replace "normal" words - like offering "blueberry" instead of just the word "blue." That is not necessarily a thesaurus replacement but instead a way to get the kids to write more effectively, so that the reader can visual the actual shade of color rather than just blue. I love it.
on October 11, 2011
I just received and went through it; it exactly what I need to help improve my students' vocabulary!! I would recommend this book to anyone who is trying to improve their writing and develop his/ her vocabulary!
on March 17, 2012
This is an excellent resource for teachers to use and provide to students. Great for expanding vocabulary when writing. Would recommend regular ed teachers, special ed teachers, and ELL educators at the elementary level through possibly high school to take advantage of this inexpensive resource.
on November 4, 2011
I am currently teaching creative writing to three 6th graders in our home-school co-op. We have already gotten a nice big list of adjectives, and we work on our personal lists of words as we go along. The great thing about this book is the division into the categories. For example, several pages are replacements for the word "said." There are pages and pages of action verbs. Another section lists replacements for boring verbs. For example, the word "danced" has suggested replacements of "waltzed," "swayed," "boogied," "shimmied," and several more. We used this in class recently to change the setting of a couple dancing by changing ONLY the verb (i.e., no description of the setting). It was a fun exercise - the kids really enjoyed describing where the couple would be if they were "boogieing." LOL
The BEST thing about this book, hands down, is the fact that I can make copies of the lists I want the kids to have (for example, the "said" replacements) without having to buy a copy of the book for each student.
If you need to help a frustrated writer, or just want to improve your own work, get this book. It is worth every penny!
on October 27, 2012
This book contains several word lists that offer great alternative words for kids to use. I teach fourth grade and my students appreciate having it so they can look up synonyms and use more interesting words in their writing. Everything in this book is fantastic, I just wish it was organized a little differently.
on May 2, 2016
Great idea. They have these words separated into categories: verbs, adverbs, adjectives....
There is also a section on transition phrases to use. Some of the words are challenging, but my 6th grade student that I tutor wants to use this book every time she writes. Would recommend.
on May 9, 2013
This book broadens elementary students' vocabulary with just the right amount of breadth and depth.It's much more accessible and user-friendly than a thesaurus. My students won't touch a thesaurus, but they'll happily flip through this book to help themselves find the exact word they're looking for.
on July 14, 2012
When I opened up my book, I was amazed at the word lists that were at my fingertips! I began thinking of how I could afford to give copies of the pages of this book to my students so that their writing would be enhanced. I want them to see how great words can be when they are exciting, more definitive, and unusual (for them, anyway!). I want them to love words and how they can communicate effectively. Thank you!
on January 3, 2013
I chose 5 stars for this purchase because it was exactly what it was advertised as, a valuable classroom asset, quick and easy to use. Great for second language learners and those behind 2 or more grades with skills. This book was $26 at two teacher resource stores near where I live and it was 10 to 12 $ cheaper through amazon.