4.0 out of 5 stars These are GREAT for moving, and OK for storing
I was really impressed with these boxes. I use "Banker's Boxes" all the time, and just assumed these "Moving Boxes" would be the same type of thing. I was pleasantly surprised when I found how different these boxes were, and I immediately saw some great benefits depending on what you were using them for.

Well, these Moving Boxes are NOT Banker's Boxes, and...
Published on June 27, 2009 by Atomicwasteland

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality Boxes/Occasional Defects
Published on December 6, 2010 by HighExpectations

4.0 out of 5 stars These are GREAT for moving, and OK for storing, June 27, 2009
Atomicwasteland (Rockville, MD USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Bankers Box SmoothMove Fast Assembly Tape-Free Moving and Storage Boxes, Small, 10 Pack (0062701) (Office Product)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Well, these Moving Boxes are NOT Banker's Boxes, and while I think Banker's Boxes excel at the purpose of STORAGE, I think these boxes truly are dedicated to the singular task of MOVING your possessions.

Here is a comparison of the two styles:

The Banker's Boxes were 16 inches long, 13 inches wide, and 10 inches high.

The Moving Boxes were 17 inches long, 12.25 inches wide, and 12.5 inches high.

The Banker's Boxes were not as tall, and were slightly shorter lengthwise. This meant that they fit more comfortably in my closet where I store things. The Moving Boxes, on the other hand were a little larger and probably wouldn't fit the way I would want in my closet, and for all storage related purposes I would probably go for the Banker's Boxes. In addition, the tops of the moving boxes are not flat like the Banker's Boxes -they have a cardboard fold on the top of the box, so there is double cardboard for half of the top, and single cardboard for the other half. Therefore, two boxes on top of each other (long term) might not be quite as stable -especially since they are taller.

In addition, because of this fold, and of the way they lock, Moving Boxes don't open quite as easily or quickly as Banker's Boxes -whose tops come off with the flick of a finger.

However, the Moving Boxes really shone in a couple of areas:

1) Easy to make: They were SUPER easy to put together; a lot easier than Banker's Boxes, and you can save time using them (over Banker's Boxes) -especially with people who haven't put together boxes before. The Moving Boxes were a single piece of cardboard, and by a few quick motions, turned into a full box with a built in top. The Banker's Boxes take at least twice as long to put together (because you have to make the tops and the bottoms separately), and when you are using them for moving, this can add some time -especially when you are talking 20+ boxes.

2) No tape: The other huge advantage for Moving Boxes boxes is that they do not require tape. "Well", you might say, "Banker's Boxes don't require tape either". Yes and no. Banker's Boxes don't require tape for storage, but if you have ever moved an entire apartment with Banker's Boxes, and you've been stacking them high to move them, and any wind picks up, you might see the tops fly off, and end up running down the street to get them. (I ended up putting tape on all the tops of my Banker's Boxes so that this didn't happen, and this took even more time and materials.) The Moving Boxes, however, have an innovative design which folds the top down upon itself, locking it tight, (providing even more cushioning for the hand holes), making it very unlikely the top would fly off in the wind.

3) Re-use: Are you one of those people who like to take apart boxes after a move, compress them flat, and use them later on? Then you'll love the Moving Boxes. Unlike the two piece Banker's Boxes, these Moving Boxes are only a single piece -they are much easier to take apart, store, and reuse later. (Taking apart the tops of the Banker's Boxes and storing them along with the bottoms is a little bit of a pain.)

4) Sturdiness: The Moving Boxes are definitely more sturdy. The cardboard is thicker, and they would definitely not get as beat up as the Banker's Boxes if you are moving them around a lot. I would trust my delicate possessions more readily to the Moving Boxes than to the Banker's Boxes.

So, all in all, if you are looking to MOVE, then these Moving Boxes are fantastic. If you just want boxes for STORAGE only, I would probably go for banker's boxes. And if you really want something that does both, you could go either way and be fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars As advertised: Easy setup; strong; reusable: See for yourself!, July 4, 2009
Length:: 2:15 Mins

As you'll see in my video review, the Fellowes "Smooth Move" moving box (I have the medium size) is fast and easy to set up. The cardboard is high-quality and it is clear that these boxes were built to last (and for reuse).

Two thumbs up from me. Hope this video helps!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality Boxes/Occasional Defects, December 6, 2010
HighExpectations (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
PRO: The average moving box can't compete with the Fellowes box in terms of easy assembly, sturdy construction, and carrying handles. The reinforced bottoms of these boxes are far less likely to bust out than the average moving box, a feature I've learned to appreciate as we have a home library of books to test the patience of any mover. In addition, as there are always storage items before and after a move, these boxes are sure to last years if kept in a cool, dry space.
CON: As moving boxes go, you're spending at least three times more per box on these than you would for an average moving box of similar size. As mentioned above, there is a superior quality expected for that premium price, and that's where the product lost two stars from my rating. We purchased more than 50 Fellowes boxes of different sizes and found that, in our particular batch, several (about 1 in 15) were defective. In a couple cases the pre-glued interiors were attached horizontally when they should have been vertical. In another case, glue had apparently been slopped inside the bottom of the box so that, when the box was folded open for assembly, the bottom ripped. I expect the manufacturer or Amazon.com would surely reimburse me, or replace the defective boxes, if I sent them back, but who has the time or patience to be returning defective moving boxes in the middle of a move? When a moving box costs as much as these do, I expect them to be in A-1 shape and free of defects 100 percent of the time. They were not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Awesome!, June 24, 2009
P. Nguyen (Los Angeles, CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I moved many times in my life. Previously, I always salvaged corrugated cardboard boxes that I could find, e.g. from appliance boxes or Amazon shipping boxes, or used those huge lawn/leaf or trash bags. This time, I received these Fellowes Moving Boxes just in time for another relocation.

(+) Intuitive set up: It took me <10s to figure out how and erect the first box without reading the diagram. Subsequent assembly completes in < 5s. In honesty, the included diagram could use some revision.

(+) Tape-free: No tape is required. This is extremely convenient, compared to boxes that necessitate tapes for re-enforcement and subsequent removal of the tapes. It renders a clean and professional look for these boxes.

(+) Very sturdy: These boxes are very strong, good for stacking up and long-distance moving. But please be mindful of the recommended weight per box (< 40 lbs), especially for limiting unintended injury, such as lower back pain. What I do is packing heavy and light items in the same box.

(+) Reusable: the box is made of 65% recycled materials and can be quickly broken down for storage for future use. I have no doubt that these boxes can survive 5+ moves.

(-) The set came in very flimsy box, which busted open prior to or on arrival. If you live in a rainy / snowy area with high potentials for exposure to the elements, the risk of water damage is high, as one reviewer noted.

(-) Although the Fellowes prices commensurate other brands (Duck Foldable or Brown Corrugated Boxes) and their tape-free design is superior, the prices are difficult for regular folks to overcome when making purchase decision.

Recommendation: If you are to purchase moving boxes, then I would highly recommend the Fellowes Smooth Move Moving Boxes over the other ones on the market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy Erectio... I mean, Setup!, July 14, 2009
Length:: 0:34 Mins

First thing I noticed when my boxes arrived, was the unbelievably shabby condition of the packaging. I realize commenting on the packaging of packaging materials is in itself absurd, but so was this effort. It may be that Banker's Box does not build their own shipping containers. Or maybe they wish to point out how, by comparison, their product is superior.

But this is hardly necessary: these are fine boxes on their own, solid, durable, and perhaps best of all, incredibly easy to erect. Less than ten seconds if you take your time, no tools or tape. Granted, you are relying on the strength of both the cardboard and the engineering, but in this case they both prove more than up to the task. Taping is not required but would lend it nothing else a sense of added security.

However, that somewhat detracts from the secondary wonder of these boxes, which is their ability to break down nearly as fast when done; they can then be stored and later returned to service in near-new condition.

To briefly describe how they are erected, simply grab one by the top flaps and twist it open with a steering-wheel motion. As the box opens the neatly folded one-piece bottom cleanly deploys, a downward push locks into place. Fold down the final bottom flap and that's it.

To seal, the tops are broken loose from the adjoining flaps, folded down square and protruding tabs tuck into the hand-holds to hold closed the top. For a local move this would be great; for lengthier travel or serious long-term storage I would probably tape them just for insurance.

I have used a lot of boxes over the years, and compared to the generic rental-center type, this is a hugely superior product, easy to use and more importantly, store and re-use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Edge Crush Test is 32 pounds per inch, June 29, 2009
zhabazon (Washington DC area) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These Small Smooth Move Moving Boxes are probably my favorites of all the Fellowes moving boxes because the maximum of 65 pounds is a great amount to carry in one box without straining anything and the smaller 12 x 12 x 16 is easy to hold. The assembly is the same as the other Smooth Move boxes and I personally find them very intuitive. I did not need to read the directions which are in diagram format on the bottom of the box. I find the position of the diagram on the bottom to be sensible because the first thing I do when putting together a box is turn it upside down to prepare the bottom. This may be an advantage of my previous experience assembling other Felllowes bankers boxes which I use for storage. If you're looking for easy to assemble, store and carry cardboard boxes to move your goods, I think these are an excellent choice. I likely will use some for storage as well, but prefer boxes with removable lids for that purpose. For me, the biggest advantage of these is the closure without tape, thereby increasing the longevity of the boxes with no rips, tears or cuts.

2.0 out of 5 stars Handles cannot withstand weights of greater than 45 pounds, September 16, 2009
I bought these boxes because they seemed sturdy. The only problem is that if you are actually using them for a lot of carrying, the handles do not withstand weights over 45 pounds. And once the handles break, lifting these big cumbersome boxes will become impossible. It's very difficult, in a box this size, to limit yourself to 45 pounds----we had to for shipping purposes---and with that weight limit, each box was only about 2/3 full when packed with normal things like clothes and a couple (not many) of books. By the time we got to our new place, the boxes were completely thrashed and not reusable. Many of the handles had failed and getting them up the stairs required sort of dragging them---occasioning more failures.

Save your money and buy the medium or small boxes. The larger ones simply will not withstand the weight of normal packing to their full volume.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product: I can't believe I ever used regular boxes!, April 11, 2012
These things are downright awesome. I've moved nearly 15 times in my life, so I've more or less established a hard and fast procedure for boxing up my belongings and transferring them from house to apartment to storage unit to wherever. In preparation for my upcoming move, I figured I'd buy boxes on Amazon, since I might save a few $ and have them delivered to my front door. I decided on these based on the interesting product description, figuring that if they didn't work I could simply reinforce the cardboard with duct tape and I'd still have functional boxes. Boy, did they work out well.

I will most certainly not do the mechanism/procedure justice, so I won't try to explain how they work. But in a few short words, these boxes arrive completely flattened, but require 0 (ZERO, NADA, NOT ONE BIT OF) tape to put together. You open the flat box that is shipped to you, and it's ready to pack (no folding/taping/aligning). Then to close it, you fold some flaps and it snugly shuts close, again without a bit of tape. Best of all, since they don't require tape, and the fold flat, they can be reused again and again.

The boxes have tons of blank spaces to scribble whatever you want on them, as opposed to the usual garbage/advertisements plastered on boxes I've used in the past. The sizes were great, I ordered both small and medium types, and they fit my needs exactly. The cardboard is strong: I was able to support 60 lbs on books in the medium box with no problem (except maybe lifting it!). The construction of the box is very high-quality; even edges, concise sizes, consistent shapes.

The price is unbeatable.
I still can't believe that I got the small boxes at $3 per box and the medium ones at <$5 per box. AND they're high-quality. AND they're reusable. AND they shipped with Prime!

I'm really impressed by these boxes, and highly recommend them for anyone in need of a great cardboard box. I'll definitely be using this same review to rate the small boxes as well!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great boxes but you cannot ship them!!, August 26, 2011
These boxes are really sturdy and easy to put together (a world of difference from having to use tape) but beware: the post office/UPS/Fedex will NOT allow you to put them in the mail! The bottom of the boxes have some perforation and they do not allow you to ship a box like that. I wanted to ship some boxes and I had to unpack everything and repack in regular boxes. But bottom line: I would definitely use these boxes again for storage or for a local move with a truck.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best moving boxes on the market, March 25, 2010
Stephanie Mooney "reednowensmommy" (Dearborn Heights, Mi United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These boxes assemble in moments without tape, and are incredibly sturdy. The handles are strong and I have no worries about tearing handles and dropping heavy boxes on my toes. They support a lot of weight, allowing you to stack several high without crushing or tipping.