4.0 out of 5 stars Bar Mitts - great for winter road riding
Published on November 29, 2012 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love them. Only use in extreme cold.
Published 10 months ago by ilovemom

4.0 out of 5 stars Bar Mitts - great for winter road riding, November 29, 2012
Amazon Customer (Columbus, OH United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Bar Mitts Cold Weather Road Bicycle Handlebar Mittens, fits Shimano Shifters with Externally Routed Shift Cables (Sports)
These keep out all wind that I've encountered over the last 2 winters. Easy to install...non-trivial to remove and reinstall on a daily basis if the weather is marginal...but worth it once you are in sub 40 degree weather for real. Seem to be durable and such. I have what I think are average sized adult male hands...I typically wear 'large' sized gloves. I bought the mediums based on one review that said you wanted them to be very snug around your wrists and thus you did not have to wear anything other than regular riding gloves inside them...but I find the mediums a bit too small. It's harder than I'd like to use the shifter/brake handles because I really cannot get my hands fully over. If I had gotten the larges, it would be great. As for wearing just riding gloves...in January? In the upper midwest? Not something I want to risk. And on longer rides I cannot be on the hoods for more than maybe 25-30 miles without needing to switch it up...so I need to be able to move outside them. I can just wear the summer gloves riding at 20 mph in 32 degree weather and be comfortable (well my hands anyway) for shorter rides, but it just seems too much of a risk...get a flat...hands fall off before you could fix it...not my prefered risk.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, December 10, 2012
C. Adkins (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
Yes - these are ugly. Yes - children will point and laugh when they see you. Yes - your hands will stay warm.

Out of those three statements ... only the last one matters.

These are great - buy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to heavy gloves, December 21, 2012
William Beck (Woodbine, MD United States) - See all my reviews
These mitts work great for me. I wear light wool gloves under them and have been comfortable down to temps of 25F. Unlike when wearing heavy gloves, it's easy to pull your hands from the mitts to grab food or water bottles. I tried the medium size first, but exchanged for large which gives my hands more wiggle room and allows thicker gloves under them for even lower temperatures. The side zipper in the design for older Shimano shifters is convenient because you can partially open the zipper to avoid hot hands when the temperature rises to 40-50F during the day. They are easy to peel off the handlebars when the temperature goes above 50F. The main disadvantage is that you can only reach the brake and integrated shift levers quickly when your hands are on the brake hoods. The tops and drops are still available, but you can only safely use them when you know you won't need to stop or shift quickly (like when slowly climbing).

4.0 out of 5 stars I've been wanting these for a long time, January 26, 2013
I live in Seattle and have been wanting these for a long time. These work very well and are and easy install. I leave them on my handlebars full time, but it would also be easy enough to remove them each time you get off of your bike. One problem with these is they aren't waterproof, so while they shield your hands from the wind and elements for the most part, water will eventually soak through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - winter will never be the same, September 18, 2012
These appear to be a well thought out design for winter riding. They appear well made. I installed them in less than a minute and took them for a short ride bare handed. They are VERY warm. The material stretches and there is - at least for me - plenty of room for my hands (large) to use the brakes, shifters, etc. These hopefully will allow me to wear my Assos long summer gloves while riding - keeping down on glove bulk, etc.

The seller shipped the item quickly and it was delivered (regular shipping) within 3 days. Excellent service and item was well-packed.

5.0 out of 5 stars fit nice, easy to use, January 25, 2013
I was surprised at how easy to use these Bar Mitts were. They help block out the wind. They don't keep your hands toasty, but do help prevent your fingers from getting really frozen. I was able to go down from wearing my bulky ski gloves to my regular biking gloves and was probably a bit warmer that way too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Warm hands...happy hands., January 23, 2013
These really do help keep your hands toasty on chilly rides [10 degrees today where I live]. The only reason I didn't give these 5 stars is that changing gears is a tad more difficult when using the Bar Mitts. I can live with the slight inconvenience for warmer hands...but it's something to consider before purchasing.

4.0 out of 5 stars clever design, they work!, February 10, 2012
These allow me to wear my warm weather, half-finger gloves during cold rides down to at least the mid 30s. I haven't tried them in below-freezing weather with summer gloves.

I'm currently using them on a bike with Sora brifters with the shift button + lever. This combo makes it a little tight with larger hands since the button takes up some space inside. I suspect that with double-lever Shimano brifters, they'll be a little roomier inside.

3.0 out of 5 stars Wanted to love them. Only use in extreme cold., January 29, 2014
I really wanted to love these, but there's a number of problems that cause me to only use them when it's really cold (single digits or below). The first and biggest problem I have is that these only allow you to ride on the hoods. I tried flipping them over and using the drops, but that caused a lot of discomfort in my wrists during my relatively short (45 minute) commute. The frustrating part is that these could have worked for drops and hoods with small changes. Hopefully the manufacturer will redesign them. Even if you are willing to accept them in the hoods or drops position, they don't allow switching positions without removal.

Second, the mitts suffer a fundamental problem - they are essentially a flat mitt created by stitching together two flat pieces of neoprene, however human hands have width when you grip the drops or hoods. I ordered a medium, thinking that would give me a little more room (I usually wear a small glove). I have no idea why there is a size on these, they should only sell the large, there's no reason to get a smaller fit. I'll probably modify these, since I already discarded the packaging. These would be very easy to make with some thread, needle and neoprene.

Overall I'd recommend these if you ride on the hoods and I'd recommend getting the largest size possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars No more numb fingers, April 26, 2013
I commute 12 miles each way by bike, and decided to commute throughout the winter this year (in the DC region). I was ready to quit when the temps dropped into the 20s because even with two pairs of gloves my fingers went numb during my commute. A colleague told me about these, and they worked great - no more numb fingers.

I had no problems manipulating the brakes with these on the handlebar.

They can be put on or taken off in about a minute, so it's easy to adjust to changing temps.

They are very flexible, so it's easy to put your hands on the top of the bar, squeezing a bit of the Bar Mitt under your hands, to change hand positions occasionally.