5.0 out of 5 stars Superior above-ground pool vac!
Published on June 8, 2011 by Stephanie M. Speziali

3.0 out of 5 stars Great suction, not automatic.
Published on June 21, 2011 by AZ Heat

5.0 out of 5 stars Superior above-ground pool vac!, June 8, 2011
Stephanie M. Speziali "LiveToRide" (Plainfield, Connecticut United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Baracuda W01698 Ranger Suction Side Automatic Above-Ground Pool Cleaner (Lawn & Patio)
This is a replacement for my Kreepy Crawly which was quite noisy but seemingly pretty effective...until I got the Baracuda! The Ranger runs very quietly, you can't hear it at all, in fact, and is designed NOT to make a flapping sound. Thank you! Assembly is easy, instructions are clear. Assemble and voila! it's off and running. Like all pool vacs, it wants to ask the bottom corner of the stepped ladder for a date but just nudge it away with a pool pole and it keeps doing the job or just raise the ladder. I've got a 15' x 30' oval pool, used all the hoses it came with and kept the Flowvalve factory setting on 1 (comes with 3). I was amazed at how quickly the pool was cleaned. Within a couple of hours, sediment and debris (a week after shocking it) was sucked away. I have a small issue with the red Flowvalve pull tab that permits adjustment for which I contacted the company directly about. Make sure your return 'eye' is turned downward like it's supposed to be to center debris and also assist the circulation patterns of the vac correctly. After use, I laid it out in a straight line on the deck and quickly hosed it off. If you're in the market for a fabulous above-ground vac, do yourself a favor and get it from In the Swim for lightning-fast shipping: Delivered in 2 days with the free ship option offered!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great suction, not automatic., June 21, 2011
My first and biggest complaint with the ranger is that with all the hoses and adapters provided it does not include an adaption for Intex. I could be wrong but I believe that Intex is the largest, most popular pool systems sold, so imagine my surprise when I learned that Ranger is not compatible with Intex. After hours of crazy rigging I was able to connect the hose to the Intex pool system. Luckily I just happen to have about $40 worth of pool and tubing supplies necessary to adapt the Ranger to Intex.

Once hooked up I was super impressed with the cleaning and suction ability of this unit. It does a fantastic job of cleaning and unlike the Intex cleaner it does not blow 90% of the dirt back into the pool. This is a small downside as well. The hose connects directly to you pools filter system. Because it works so well, you must change and backwash your Intex pool filter immediately after use. Your filter will be a nice milk chocolate color. Personally I just rinse the filter out thoroughly and reuse it.

Another real downside, unfortunately because the cleaner essentially follows the path of least resistance, it follows the same path and tends to miss very large sections of the pool. While you can direct it by hand to the missed spots in a matter of 15 minutes, it is annoying to let it run for 24 hours and completely miss large sections.

While my review is fairly negative I would actually still recommend this cleaner. With some very minor adjustments the manufacturer could easily make this a 5 star product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Vacuum, June 20, 2011
I purchased this to replace the Turbo Turtle by Polaris. I was looking for something that would actually pull the water from the bottom of our 27' above ground pool. The pool is ten years old and we have crevasses in the bottom and I needed something that would have enough power to clean it. The Baracuda did an amazing job! To be completely honest I didn't vacuum my pool at the end of last year and when we took the cover off, it was a mess. I hooked up the newly purchased Baracuda and was absolutely shocked at how well it did. The ease of installation is fantastic. You take out the skimmer basket, insert the Baracuda vacuum part, snap the hose on and start the filter. It takes me about two minutes to put it in the pool and start it. The hose comes in sections that you snap together. It states in the instructions to make sure and not store the hose coiled. This is very important as we stored the other vacuum hose coiled and within a few months it would continually recoil in the pool making the vacuum stay in one place. Because our pool had so much dirt in it, I had to backwash the filter a few times the first time I used the vacuum. I am simply amazed at how well this cleaned our pool, even the crevasses were clean. I would recommend this to anyone. The only exception would be someone who has wrinkles in their liner, it recommends not to use it as it can damage your liner due to the wrinkles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product and fast delivery, April 12, 2012
Ordered product on Friday and received on Wednesday, very easy to assemble and set up on the pool, well made and works great. One word of advice, make sure you get enough hose links. I have a round 32' pool and need to get at least two more links then what comes with it because it goes around in a circle in the inner part of pool because it does not have enough links to stretch out to the outer part of pool.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pool Cleaner/Vacuum, February 22, 2011
Monica Hough (Camp Pendleton, CA) - See all my reviews
We had a diver dave before this...this definately tops diver dave! We use this for a 24" above ground pool.

I bought and used this all summer and took it out again yesterday to clean the pool to prepare it again for this year. I absolutely love this pool vacuum. It is stylish, easy to see when it is in the pool, works great and the ring on the upper part deters it from getting too close to your pool wall. This way it does not climb your pool wall when cleaning. In addition, that part stops it from getting caught on pool ladders for above ground pools.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice cleaner, August 2, 2011
Great cleaner, I use it with my Intex 16 foot metal frame pool and worked good with a 1600GPh stock filter and pump. I just plug it in to the intake fitting the hose goes on for the strainer, I upgraded to a Intex 2650GPH pump sand filter and the thing now cleans the walls too, I walked out to check on it and it was going around the pool up on the sides, Part of it was even out of the water . LOL

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, June 28, 2011
We bought this cleaner for our 24' above ground pool. We had purchased an aqua critter in 2008 and were never satisfied with the quality of cleaning it did. The wheels and the black rim on the critter kept popping off and it never quite had enough suction power that would do a thorough job. We would just end up using the manual cleaner that came with the pool to finish up what the critter didn't pick up. We decided to purchase the Baracuda W01698 Ranger due to the fact that it was one working part and the price could not be beat by either our local pool dealer or our online pool place. We are extremely pleased with this unit. We haven't had it for too long but after reading other reviews, it looks like it should hold up pretty well! I would highly recommend this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Lounger, July 1, 2010
Pool cleaner works awesome, doesn't matter if the pool bottom is uneven or not. Does a fast job of cleaning your pool. Very easy assembly.

4.0 out of 5 stars What I expected, December 4, 2010
Purchased this item a few months ago. Easy install that did not take very long to set up. I have an eighteen foot pool with creases in the bottom. It does take a long time to completely cover the entire bottom but it does clean very well. The only draw back is that it will stop working when more than one leaf is sucked into the skimmer basket. Other than that it works just fine. I do recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, October 12, 2010
memay "memay_ok" (McHenry, Illinois) - See all my reviews
We have used "droid" style pool cleaners for years in our above ground pool and we were pretty happy with them, but they took a while to do the job and coverage could be less than uniform. The Baracuda beat them big time.
Simple to assemble and use, just follow the directions which are well written. It does a beautiful job, getting all of the pool bottom really clean, uniformly covering the entire surface. It does like to dance with the pool ladder, all cleaners seem to, so we just raise it while cleaning, no problem.
I would recomend this pool cleaner to any and everyone.