5.0 out of 5 stars Almost gave up on the unit
Published on July 5, 2012 by Nanda Shin

2.0 out of 5 stars good results but limited lifespan
I have had experience with four separate units of this grinder over the last ~ 5 years, plus 1 unit of the prior model for ~4 years prior, so I feel that I am in a good position to evaluate the Virtuoso's strengths and weaknesses.

The good:
Published 23 months ago by EdnaAnn

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost gave up on the unit, July 5, 2012
This review is from: Baratza Virtuoso - Conical Burr Coffee Grinder (with Bin) (Kitchen)
I almost gave up on this grinder as it was not grinding fine enough for espresso. I was pulling nasty 4-5 second shots on the '0' setting which is the finest grind. So i went to the website's troubleshooting section which had step by step instructions on how to calibrate for a finer grind. It was a pain to take the thing apart and afterwards the grind was slightly finer but not fine enough for espresso. If i hadn't seen some youtube video reviews on this product i would have assumed that this model is just not capable of producing espresso grinds but on the video it was grinding so fine on '0' that espresso had to be done on '6' setting so i wasn't gonna give up so quick. I called tech support and explained the situation and was told that the factory calibration was probably off and that i will be sent a replacement. A couple hours later Colin emailed me with a tracking # , so far so good. Well, I finally got the new unit and did a test on '0' and it was almost powder fine. I also tested on '20' and the grinds were much more consistent than the original unit i got which did seem a bit inconsistent. I am now able to grind for espresso, french press and aeropress. I hope you don't get a lemon but if you do call support before junking it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Terrific Grinder---plus a Comparison to the Preciso Model, May 27, 2012
Brian Foreman (Lincoln, NE United States) - See all my reviews
The Virtuoso is my favorite coffee grinder, and I recommend it highly.

First, it's pleasantly heavy, which makes it a pleasure to use, since it stays put during use. The grind can be calibrated from fine to coarse in 40 steps by twisting the upper hopper, and further adjustment is possible inside the case. (Too coarse wastes flavor, while too fine will clog the filter and cause grounds to overflow the basket.). Grinding beans for a pot of coffee takes about a minute, which is exactly one full twist of the timer knob.

The grounds bin has the same capacity as a coffee filter for a standard 60-ounce coffee pot; more wouldn't fit. So the reviewer that thought the hopper is undersized must be trying to fill a commercial brewer. The bean hopper on the top also holds a pound (a typical sack) of coffee beans, so everything is well thought-out for the home user.

The anti-static plastic parts are a godsend: all the grounds just miraculously slide out of the hopper, like dry sand off Teflon. Prior models had a static-prone hopper that caused chaff to fly madly out as you extracted the hopper and stick everywhere---the counter, your shirt, the cat--and which therefore necessitated cleanup. This one has no such issue.

One common complaint is that the timer handle sometimes falls off during grinding. The loose fit is by design (so you can take the case off), and the fix is easy: just cut a 1/4"x1/8" (or so) strip of paper, fold it in half, remove the handle, and place that paper over the internal tang of the handle before reinserting it. This will tighten the handle but keeps it removable in case you ever need to disassemble things.

If you are primarily going to make espresso, Baratza recommends the Preciso model for even more accurate grind settings. Prior to December 2011, when this was a 585 model, the Preciso also had better burrs, but now this one (the 586) has them too. Given the range of adjustments available on this one, then, the Preciso seems like overkill for anyone but the pickiest espresso fanatic (you know who you are).

So you really can't go wrong with this grinder. I think you'll be very pleased with it.

2.0 out of 5 stars good results but limited lifespan, January 10, 2013

The good:
I have found the grind options to be very good - resulting in consistent crema on my espresso (first with a Gaggia Coffee and then a Gaggia Classic), quality espresso using a stove-top unit, and quality drip coffee using both a standard coffeemaker and a single-serving cone. There is minimal static and I have not noted clumping. The hopper, silicone gaskets and burr can be easily removed for maintenance. The pulse button is really convenient for touch-up grinding.

The bad:
The grinder knob is minimally anchored and so it commonly falls off onto the counter. Not a game changer, but irritating and consistent across units. (Eventually my parents superglued their control knob on to prevent it from getting lost.)
The only way to empty the hopper for cleaning is to turn the whole machine upside-down. This isn't a big deal unless you are using a machine for multiple purposes (decaf vs regular, espresso vs drip) and like to grind on demand for best flavor. (Of course, if you really want the best flavor, you won't leave beans in the hopper anyway.)
Coffee likes to hover in the burr and then shower down onto the counter when the collection bin is pulled out.
Although the burr is easily removed for service, the grind fineness generally shifts after replacement even with careful seating of the burr on replacement. This means that you have to rediscover the 'sweet spot' each time you service the machine.

The ugly:
In spite of other peoples' experience, i have found the Virtuoso to have a very limited lifespan. To date, I have had two Virtuosos die after 2 years of daily use (two lattes per day), in spite of careful service. For the first unit of mine that died, I tried the Baratza reconditioning service -- which resulted in me being without a grinder for weeks while they 'repaired' mine and then having them send my 'repaired like new' grinder back in a still broken state. They finally refunded my money, after a lot of hassle and carrying on. Trusting other people's claims of 12 year lifespan, I bought a second unit which just failed today. Additionally, the unit I bought my parents died within 14 months of daily use (standard drip coffee). They are on their second unit, which is currently almost 2 years old. Had I known about their grinder failure prior to replacement, I would have steered them away from buying another one based on my unit having died almost simultaneously to theirs.

Though I certainly do not expect endless use, I consider recurrent equipment failure between 1 and 2 years of age unacceptable for a grinder of this cost. I definitely won't be buying another Baratza...

5.0 out of 5 stars The NEW Baratza Virtuoso Burr Grinder, March 8, 2008
Howard Pierson (Portland, OR USA) - See all my reviews
Since I have only had the Virtuoso for three months I will not discuss the long-term quality. Because I use it primarily for press pot, drip and small espresso batches I was not looking to get a solid consumer grinder, like the more expensive Rancilio Rocky or Mazzer Mini.

Previously I have owned a Starbucks Barista (the Solis verson, not the newer Saeco Titan verson) and the Capresso Infinity 560 Black. The Barista had a long and happy life, and after performing the hack (see coffeegeek.com), made great coffee and pretty good espresso. The Capresso was excellent for drip & press coffee, but only adequate for espresso. I would happily recommend each of these for people that just want a pretty solid cup of Joe, and do not mind it being slightly heated in the process. The Capresso was still running solidly, so do not infer it died early (it cheerfully grinds my wife's flax seeds very well now), I just wanted something better for my espresso shots.

After briefly considering the Gaggia MDF I looked at the Virtuoso, mainly for three, important, reasons.

First I was very happy with my Solis/Starbucks grinder, it lasted for over 10 years of heavy use. The hack allowed it to make good espresso. Baratza has been involved with selling the Solis products, and are the designers of the Maestro and Maestro Plus grinder (yes, thats right they are THEIR machines, not Solis). After talking to a few of the locally operated coffee shops, invaluable advice, I was able to learn more about the company.

Second, many of the negative reviews were early in the introduction of the product. What I appreciated, and what the shop owners told me about, is the serious approach to resolving any issues the product has and updating the product itself. Each issue has been addressed, burr design, machine rpm, cleanliness, fineness settings, etc. Important to me was that the later reviews, specially by some of the talking heads, were far better than the earlier versions of the Virtuoso.

Third the current version of the product, it is an affordable ($200 in some cases slightly less) grinder with a professional burr, over 40 settings (it can be easily hacked to allow for finer or coarser setting- something I have not needed to do yet. That information is posted in the FAQ of the Baratza website), and lower rpm motor (very important if you do not wish to heat the ground beans, or use a heavy French Roast as I do). It is easy to clean with the supplied brush, but hand wash and rinse well, the washable parts. Absolutely do not wash the container in the dishwasher, unless you wish destroy the anti-static properties of the container, plus it isn't necessary.

After figuring out what settings work best for my three purposes, I am getting a coffee that is as good as I would get in even some of the better local establishments in Portland. My espresso is not quite as good, but then I do not have Mazzer's and a thousand dollar plus espresso machine. For my purposes the espresso is far better than I have made on my own in the past.

It may be only a perception, but it seems as though I am using fewer beans as I have in the past as well, important as coffee prices rise. This is a great grinder for its niche, one can get better, but you will have to pay more, and be seriously addicted to Barista quality espresso.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, great customer service!, January 22, 2007
Kindle Customer (Long Island, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I have had this grinder since March 2006. It grinds magnificently and is extremely well built. It is by far the cleanest grinder (no spewed grinds everywhere) I have had, and I have had MANY. I recently had an issue were a small rock somehow got into the grinder and caused the gears to strip. One call to customer service and they mailed me a replacement no questions asked! Fantastic!!!

As for the negative review prior to this- File it as uninformed. The grind catcher fits into the machine very snug, this is a good thing because it prevents the grinds from flying all over your countertop. The motor is very powerful (unless you try to grind rocks, see above) and grinds the beans with a low pitched growl. This is a terrific grinder with unparalleled customer support. I highy recommend this grinder.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Grinder with a few qwerks, March 19, 2007
I have had this grinder for over a year. It provides a very uniform grind over a wide range of settings. Recently, I had to adjust the grind calibration settings back to original spec by removing the hood & adjusting one screw. Instructions are on the web site, no problem. The grinder grinds again as when new. Quibbles: 1. When turned to the maximum setting, the timer does not keep the grinder grinding long enough to produce enough coffee for a twelve cup maker. You have to turn the timer again for more coffee. 2. Like a number of burr grinders I have used, the beans occasionally hang up in the feeder so that the grinder is running but no beans are being ground. This is more likely to happen with large and/or "candy" finished dark roast beans. Cleaning helps but does not eliminate this problem. Turning the grind adjustment ring to the max while the grinder is running clears up the stoppage, but it is an annoying glitch. Still, produces great coffee.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Verdict, After 6 Years of Use? Perfection for Drip, Pour-Over, French Press, Adequate for Espresso, March 16, 2012
I use my Virtuoso for drip brewing and for French Press. It quickly chews my coffee beans precisely the way both devices demand; fine-medium for drip coffee, and course-medium to medium-course for French Press. Great coffee flavor all starts with your grinder. Works just ducky. Very pleased!

If you are looking for a quality, durable grinder for fine-side grind for drip, vacuum pot, open pot, or pour-over coffee it is perfect. If you need a uniform course grind for your French press/Press pot you have just struck gold. My Technivorm loves it. And so does my coarser-grind loving Frieling French Press.

I am writing a book on the best goods out there under the radar, and I write a blog on the same subject: thegoodstuffreviews.blogspot.com. The Virtuoso is recommended as THE coffee bean grinder for Everything but Espresso, the title of a must-buy book by Scott Rao. For espresso you might need a finer, or different grind than the Virtuoso provides. For espresso you might want to step up to the full-blown Baratza Preciso, or even better, look at the Vario or Vario W model.

Sweet Maria's Coffee in the West and Terroir Coffee in the East, excellent sources for anything coffee, both purveyors of green coffee beans for home roasting, along with roasted beans and coffee machines for all methods of brewing, tell me that the Virtuoso is the perfect match for Technivorm and BonaVita drip brewers (two of only four drip coffee brewers to be Certified by the Specialty Coffee Association of America). This grinder would also be the perfect match for Behmor's new, innovative BraZen drip brewer.

The Virtuoso is the most often recommended grinder for French Press, especially this 586 model with the Preciso burr set. I agree. So, here is my review:

PROS:

1) SIMPLE TO OPERATE: The capacious bean hopper is steep-walled so no beans hang up; the lid ensures the beans do not hop out of the hopper, very hip. To grind, at a zippy speed of one gram per second, one can use the pulse button on the front.

Use the clever,optional, portafilter holder to receive the grinds for espresso. Usually I use the timer knob on the side to the mark I need for my 24 grams of beans. I am machine-challenged at 5:30 AM so grinding MUST be simple, and it is, but I will admit to being so morning-rummy that I once tossed my grounds into my mug instead of my brewer.

2) DURABLE: Mine is running perfectly after four years of daily use, sometimes twice a day. I mean not ONE single problem--nada, zip. Shame on me, I am very lax about cleaning my grinder, yet it keeps on chewing those beans to perfection. After some time passes, if I sniff the Virtuoso and detect the sharp rancid nose of stale coffee oils I then do something about it...same as with any grinder you buy.

3) HANDSOME STYLING: The Virtuoso looks good, looks no-nonsense. It looks like quality, and is; built with solid chunks of heavy-looking, actually heavy, brushed metal.

4) HEAVY WEIGHT: Makes it secure and relatively vibration absorbing...it does not travel across the counter...it just sits there grinding away.

5) QUIET: Not too noisy, as grinders can be. But just enough sound to awaken the slacker(s) upstairs in bed prior to smelling the coffee...hear the grinder and salivate.

6) EASY TO CLEAN: I run a couple of cycles of "Minute Rice" through it (coffee flavored rice is really great! NOT. Just kidding). I know, I know, Baratza will not like to hear that I am abusing their equipment. Cleans it right up. Oh, you can buy grinder cleaners too, of course, like Grindz...good stuff.

7) THE GROUNDS BIN: Doubles as a container when I weigh my beans for grinding. Just sit it on your scale, click it on, self-tares to 0 grams, dose with beans, dump the beans in the Virtuoso hopper, place grind bin in the grinder, then grind. It's that simple. Rinse well, or wash WITHOUT perfumed dish liquid, and NEVER wash it in the dishwasher (ruins the anti-static coating).

Dosing: 24g of beans per 400ml water for American Standard coffee, 26g per 400ml water for European Standard coffee, which equals the ratio recommended by the SCAA: 8.25g beans per 150ml water. Go with the SCAA dose, usually, depending upon the single-origin coffee beans used, roast level, and freshness).

8) STRONG BEAST: Built like a tank, solid body with chunk metal where it's need most, and a big muthuh of a cord. Heavy Duty. No toy grinder here...perfect for a mid-level pro-sumer espresso machine.

9) THE PRICE IS EXCELLENT FOR THE QUALITY: This is no toy grinder, not all plastic either, just some. It's for us grown-ups. Its $199 price balanced against the price of a good French Press, vac. pot, or pour over (Avg. $40-$75) startles the owners of such brewing gear, but they soon discover that those whirly-blade bean-whackers produce dust-and-boulders, so they eventually bite the bullet and pay their dues after they wise-up. Or, compromise and choose the Baratza Encore ($129).

But I must say, this Virtuoso at $199 is a significant quality improvement over the Encore. For espresso, move up to the remarkable Baratza Virtuoso Preciso with additional conical burr teeth, and far more adjustments, at $299. Even better is the Baratza Vario or Vario W at $449, with enough enough lights and electronics on the face to compete with Darth Vader's belt, and takes bean grinding where no grinder has gone before...perfect for your mid-priced prosumer espresso machine.

Or, check out Baratza's worthy competition: Gaggia MM or MDF or the Rancilio Rocky doserless. Or go insane with a dearly priced Mazzer Mini espresso grinder.

But I must add that the Vario is now overrunning the Rancilio and Mazzer offerings by a landslide. Why? Equally outstanding performance at an affordable price, coupled with unbelievably good customer service here in the States.

If you ever have questions or need repairs or replacement parts, the legendary Baratza Customer Service folks are willing to guide you if you prefer to DIY, which is fairly easy to do, so say other reviewers, and I believe them. Saves lots of time, keeps your grinder at home, and saves on shipping costs. Welcome to the Baratza Barista Club, people.

10) EXCELLENT BURR SET. This the same Preciso burr set used with the Preciso grinder itself. It grinds almost professionally from espresso, through press, to drip. Mark Prince of coffeegeek tested the Preciso's burr performance and said that it produces the least amount of fines of ANY Baratza grinder, even the Vario! The consistency and evenness of its grind is simply amazing.

This is good news for drip coffee, especially if, you use gold filters instead of paper ones for the same reasons French is fines sensitive, and it is headlines for French press aficionados because it is the fines that pass through the plunger's metal mesh filter, becoming that silt at the bottom of the cup. This burr set will dramatically reduce that. See Mark Prince's coffeegeek test and review of the Preciso grinder on the opinions section, and at the bottom of the article is a link to his excellent white paper and scientific tests of all Baratza grinders. The burrs are made in Liechtenstein.

11) 40 GRIND SETTINGS. Except for espresso, these 40 grind settings allow you great freedom to dial in the perfect fineness/coarseness for your particular brew method. See the Baratza website for recommended settings for your brew method.

12) WRAPPING IT UP: The Baratza Virtuoso is excellent for "Everything but Espresso," the title of a good book on non-espresso coffee by Scott Rao. Highly recommended for vac pot, open pot, filter drip, immersion, pour over, drip coffee, and French press/Press pot. The Preciso burr set is a cheap upgrade and highly recommended.

If you use any of the above brew methods the Virtuoso is the sweet spot. Its fan base is just huge in the Specialty Coffee world. And it will last for years, just replace the burr set every few years. Yeah, I like it, yeah I love it. So will you. (I get carried away, so please pardon the fanboy pom poms here).

For espresso, the Virtuoso 586 is a good entry level machine for entry-level espresso machines if you hack the burr set adjustment according to Baratza's Customer Service instructions. of its upgraded Preciso burr set that produces an extremely low percentage of fines, it is the best grinder you can buy for French press/press pot. Accordingly, those new burrs make it a high end drip, pour-over, vac pot, and Chemex grinder.

It should be mentioned that this 585 model is now discontinued because ALL new Virtuoso models will come with Preciso burr sets! For espresso, you want the Preciso itself with its extra grind adjustment ring to fine tune, and dial in for superior shots, but you should look at the Vario, and Vario W before deciding...see coffeegeek's incomparable take on Baratza models.

13) REPLACEMENT PARTS ARE RATHER INEXPENSIVE, TECH ASSISTANCE IS SUPERB, AND WEBSITE REPAIR TUTORIALS WITH PHOTOS ARE USER-FRIENDLY. This is what Baratza is known for...they really do care if you are a happy owner of their products. No other grinder maker can come in with such super grinders at such a low price, then stand behind them 100%. Rah! Rah!

CONS:

1) THE TIMER KNOB SOMETIMES FALLS OFF: It happens maybe one every month or so, but in like 5 seconds it is back in place. Solution? I use a dab of rubber cement on the timer knob shaft to keep the knob where it belongs, but easy to remove if I ever need to access the interior which requires removing the timer knob.

On the Baratza website, troubleshooting section, they will show you how to fix the problem with tape and a mega paper clip...look likes it will work fine. No biggie for me, folks.

SUMMARY: Do I love my Virtuoso? In proportion to the trouble I took writing all this blah blah for you. Hell yeah!

I hope this was helpful to you. If you have questions, please reply in the Comment section...I would be glad to help.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

MY BLOG: thegoodstuffreviews.blogspot.com

1.0 out of 5 stars So Frustrated., November 11, 2009
This grinder will not work for dark to medium dark roast beans. Period. The beans simply fail to feed into the burr grinder. Like me, if you purchase this product, you will end up looking for various items around the house to push the beans into the grinder. I've tried spoon, wooden skewer, finger, cleaning brush, and a toothbrush, all with lackluster results. Its all rather comical, until I realize that there's beans all over the floor, the stupid metal timer knob has fallen off, very little grounds, and I spent 200 bucks on this thing.

It is fair to say that this has been one of the top five purchasing blunders in my life.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Design Flaws, September 8, 2012
If all you want is a good quality grinder for a small amount of coffee or a few shots of espresso, this is a very nice choice. Solid, heavy, strong motor and very high quality burrs -- plus it has a nice commercial quality look and feel.

But if you plan to make a full pot of coffee -- think twice about this grinder because it has a few design flaws that will inconvenience and annoy you every morning.

The big problem is the catch-bin is too small. If you fill the bean holder at the top of the grinder more than half-way, the catch-bin won't be able to handle the grind, and things will back up into the shoot -- clogging up the burrs and bogging down the motor. So for anything more than a small to medium amount of grind, you will need to do things in stages -- which means stopping the grinder half way, emptying the catch bin into some other container, and then replacing the catch bin and restarting the grinder. For a $200+ grinder, I expect a little more convenience.

The other design flaw in this grinder is the on/off/timer dial that sits on the side. It looks handsome enough, but it's a fairly cheap, undersized plastic knob that rides on a rather weak nylon rod. It works like a minute egg timer -- and simultaneously starts the grinder as soon as you twist it. The more you rotate the knob, the longer it will grind. But once you start it, there's no way to shut down the grinder until it times-out -- or until you force it off by twisting the knob back in the other direction. There's a noticeable resistance when you do this, since you're forcing the timing mechanism back to zero, instead of letting it run on its own. Given the cheap, plastic design of this mechanism, the long-term prospects of doing this on a daily basis are a little concerning. A separate cut-off switch would have been nice.

Those are the only obvious shortcomings I've experienced. It is otherwise a very nice piece of equipment. And for those who need only a limited amount of grounds, these design flaws will probably not come into play and I expect they'll be quite pleased with this grinder. As for folks like me, who need to grind a full load every morning, I'm not sure I'd have purchased this unit had I known about these issues.

1.0 out of 5 stars bad bad bad bad!!!!!!, November 11, 2012
I have loved espresso for 30+ years. I am picky about my coffee and I am often disappointed when I go to coffee shops. I have been a home roaster for 7 + years now. I know that a good grinder is the most important tool in the home of a coffee-geek. I settled for a kitchen aid pro for the last few years, but lately it has been giving me some bad inconsistent grind and I bought a virtuoso by Baratza.
My espresso is now very nice with a ton of crema. I could hardly believe the change!
I hope that my virtuoso will hold up. I read a bunch of reviews on coffee-geek about problems with the grinder. I can see that there could be problems due to plastic parts worn. I have to say that I would not buy it unless I had read about the fantastic costumer service that the Baratza company is known for.
Mark Prince from coffee-geek gave the Baratza grinders good reviews for the very small amount of coffee left in the grinders after grinding. The Baratza grinders could compete with the best if they started using other materials than plastic for the burr adjustment. I have noticed that the hopper moves slightly when I am grinding. But I will only use the grinder for espresso and avoid a lot of changing the settings so I hope the grinder will hold up. The grinder was model 586 with new burrs and new improved gearbox (G 2.0). I could easily grind for espresso without any adjustments. So far I am very pleased, but I guess I will have to write: to be continued...

See comments below. After 2 Months the burr holder made of plastic broke

3 Month follow up:

Well, it is holding up after the repair of the upper burr ring that broke. I still worry about the plastic parts braking again. Every time I grind the plastic hopper moves. I am almost 100% sure there was no stone or un-roasted bean to cause the damage to the burr holder. I wish that the company at least could have sent a spare plastic burr holder so I wouldn't have to wait another 14 days if it happens again.
I wonder if their more expensive grinders also have the flimsy plastic adjustment parts?
If I could do this again, I would not have bought the virtuoso.

4Month:

OK now I am not happy any more. The settings have changed and I had to take off the outer plastic cover and change the adjustment ring as described on Baratza website. I placed the tiny screw in the middle window and the grind was fine enough for espresso again. Now 2 weeks later it needs to be adjusted again due to some change.
This morning I though I should clean the burr and the chute and I found (not surprisingly) that the upper burr holder had cracked again. I am very tired of this grinder now and not at all happy. I sent an email to Baratza support and I hope that something good comes out of it. My advice: Buy something else!

6 Month review see: [...] Buy something else!!