Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

Color: Gray|Change
Price:$99.99+ Free shipping

on June 28, 2013
The hair dryer I received is the exact model advertised. However, it is putting out well over the 100mG according to the Trifield Meter 100XE EMF Meter I bough at Amazon.com. It caused the meter to peg, so I can't tell you how strong the EMF's actually are. The meter scale doesn't go that high.

This is contrary to what is advertised: "The ECO8000 emits 4.1 mG of EMF." 100mG of EMF's is what my head would be receiving if I used this dryer. In addition, even 3 feet away from the dryer emits about 38mG. And using the Trifield meter to measure the electric field, there is also an electric field 60-70 volts A/C in the air 3 feet away.

I know the Trifield meter is good because I've tested it. And I'm using the 0-100mG range and reading the top scale for the electromagnetic field measurement. There is no mistake in the reading. The electric field is measured using the Electric range on the top scale. Again, no mistakie in the reading.

I compared it to my other hair dryer, the Conair IonShine 1875 model which puts out 1875 Watts. The readings are virtually identical, again conrtrary to the advertisement:. "The ECO8000 blows clean heat, which is heat without radiation. With 1,100 watts of power, equivalent in heat and blowing power to a standard 1,800 watt blow dryer, you can be health conscious without sacrificing performance. " Not True.

Other than that, the hair dryer works exactly as it should, great heat and air pressure. But I bought this hair dryer because of the advertised low EMF's. My Conair dryer still works perfectly so this costly dryer is being picked up by UPS for a free return and refund.

This review is for you if you are thinking of buying this hair dryer because of the advertised low EMF's, If you cannot measure the dryer, and you are not electrically hypersensitive so cannot feel the EMF's your hair dryer generates, you won't know difference. You may have just spenT a lot more money for dryer that is no different EMF wise than a traditional hair dryer.
66 comments| 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 6, 2014
I had never heard of Barbar until I was staying at a newly built resort with friends and fell in love with the little red Barbar dryer in our suite. It was compact and did a great job of drying my hair quickly without causing any apparent damage. After a weekend of good times, I looked up Barbar and debated which model I wanted. I settled on the Eco model because it had a ceramic heating element and it claims to have lower radiation levels than a standard dryer (I have not researched this or otherwise put it to the test).

I don't know if this one does quite as good a job as the red one, but I've been happy with it in that it does a professional-level job of drying my hair in a reasonable period of time (though I don't know if it would be quite as good without the included funnel attachment). I agree with some other reviewers in that the controls are a little awkwardly placed and the unit is a little on the heavy side, but I've found you get used to the switch placement as well as the weight. In my experience, the heavier dryers also tend to be the best ones. By itself, it's a 4 star dryer; however, I dropped my rating down to 3 stars because I have experienced issues with product quality.
When I first received my ECO8000, the heating element died (accompanied by a burning smell) within 30 days and it would only blow cold air (regardless of what setting it was at). Because it was less than 30 days old, I wanted to exchange it rather than pursue a warranty replacement through the manufacturer. I had ordered it through Amazon but, because it had been fulfilled by Folica, the return had to be done through them. I had to contact them twice before they replied, and they made me pay for shipping on the return. So even though I had just dropped $150 on this dryer, I was forced to pay an extra 20 bucks a month later because the product was defective. I sucked it up and paid the money because I didn't have the time to dispute it with them, but I feel like that's a bad way to do business. My new dryer was fully functioning, but after about 3 months of use the buttons on the fuse in the plug broke; nothing happens when the test/reset buttons are pressed, but the dryer itself still works. It's been working for about a year and a half, but I'm concerned that the thermal fuse is not functional (because the test/reset buttons are broken) and as a result it may, at some point, present a safety hazard. Because of this, I never leave the dryer plugged in when I'm done using it.

It's a good dryer, but to experience two different defects on two brand new units within 90 days is a concern for me. I would not purchase this model again, but would still give Barbar one last chance (3rd time's the charm, right?). Unless something else catches my eye, I think the next dryer will probably be a Barbar Italy 3800. I would rate Folica as one or two stars, but this is not the forum for that.
on April 12, 2013
I bought the dryer because I wanted something that didn't put out all the radiation. When I first turned it on, it emitted a mild odor and I thought there was something wrong with it. The smell went away almost instantly and I started to blow dry my hair. It's fantastic! It blows well, gets nice and hot and it takes me less time to dry than my Conair...that's for sure! I'm a very satisfied customer.
on March 24, 2014
Best blow dryer EVER! My husband bought this for me for christmas, I've had it now for almost 4months. I didn't want to do a review until I had used it for a few months. 't does the job without leaving my hair dried out and brittle and I have noticed less of my hair in the sink when I am done blow drying. I got my hair cut right before I got it and have not had it cut since, I have hardly any split ends. My husband loves it because it uses less electricity. Spend the extra money, this blow dryer tops all of them and is completely worth it! I use it on low heat and low air, it takes me about 8 minutes (my husband timed me :-P) to dry my hair, my hair is very long and medium thickness. Thanks Hubby! <3
on January 23, 2015
Love this hair dryer. The fact that it's less radiation alone makes it great. It isn't hard to hold and it's not bully like other reviews have mentioned. It is such a quality product and works greaaaat. So happy I chose this one after searching for the perfect dryer. This really is the only "natural one" the others are just the metal but coated in ceramic. This one is pure ceramic ugh love it. Buy it!
on December 20, 2012
When it worked, you could feel the cool air mixed in with the hot air, so just the center was warm and surrounded by cold. Then a few days later, lights would come on but no air. Wasn't happy with it at all. Amazon refunded money before we even shipped it back. Thanks.
on August 20, 2015
My cousin purchased a barbar hair dryer. While working on a client the blow dryer sparked and caught fire leave my cousin with a nasty permanent burn. Luckily the client was uninjured or else that would of been a huge liability. When calling barbar they started out very friendly. They requested the blow dryer be shipped to them for review (we had to pay for the shipping). My cousin received a call from the supervisor advising that it was normal wear and tear and the only compensation would be a new hair dryer. However, we would have to pay the shipping and handling. I did not find that fair. The supervisor John then proceeded to get loud with me and hung up on me. Worse customer service I ever experienced!
on April 29, 2016
As a hairstylist of 17 years I thought that this dryer did not even come close to producing the same as an 1875 watt hair dryer on the hottest setting I should not be able to hold my hand still right in front of it and not get burned the hair dryer does not blow out hot enough air I tried using it on one of my med texture long hair clients and after ten min. Of power drying the hair said forget this and went back to my good old VM PRO 4000i
on April 12, 2015
This is my second dryer of this brand and model. My first one lasted about 2.5 years with average use. I love this dryer because it dries quickly and isn't as loud as a lot of other dryers. Also like that it has a ceramic heating element. I would purchase it again.
on October 18, 2015
Good dryer and I suspect it will last a very long time. My wife really likes it but it's not exactly what we were hoping. She used the dryer in a hotel and absolutely loved it. Despite being the same exact model number, color, look, etc; it is not the same. Not near as much power as the one from the hotel. It is still a really nice dryer, but a bit disappointing.