Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Barber: Adagio 100th Anniversary
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on March 10, 2010
Simply fantastic. This double-disc 100th anniversary release is phenomenal. The opening track is Barber's famous "Adagio for Strings" as performed by the Berlin Philharmonic with Sir Simon Rattle conducting. You will be captivated for the entire 9 minute duration. But, the CDs aren't just one great track. Many of the later concertos and sonatas are equally grand and worthy of a listen (or several).
on July 4, 2012
Possessing the peculiar distinction of having attended high school in the school district where Samuel Barber grew up, played the alma mater he wrote for his home school countless times, and grown up loving his music, it seemed strange one day to find that I had really very little of his work in my mp3 library. This album is the most extensive compilation of his music which I possess, and perhaps one of the best out there. Some of these pieces, such as the Adagio for Strings, the Overture to the School for Scandal, the First Essay for Orchestra, and a few others, I knew well, but for those others with which I was unfamiliar, this album is an excellent introduction.

In comparison to other recordings and performances which I have heard of these pieces, this is one of the best - and of course I thoroughly enjoy the music of Samuel Barber.
on December 28, 2013
The theme song for the Viet Nam War movie "Platoon" was in my head for decades, and although the movie was a gut-wrencher, the poignang music made me want to listen to more of Samuel Barber's music. He has a way of making his music have certain "feelings" and I wanted to have a chance to enjoy other works of his. Good stuff!
on October 13, 2015
A rather beautiful rendition of Barber's most famous works. I have no complaints with the majority of the pieces at all, although the Endellion String Quartet's performance of the Quartet could be a little stronger. Their second movement seemed a little weak at times, especially at the beginning, too weak perhaps to show off their emotional intensity that they come to terms with in the piece. However, besides that rather disappointing movement, a wonderful collection at a wonderful price.
on December 17, 2013
If you are only going to get one recording for Barber, then this is this best. Presented by some of the best.
on October 9, 2014
I'm a huge Barber fan and I love Medea and School of Scandal. Yet, those songs didn't sound as I think they should. I know I'm picky but some parts in the way the music came together just ruined it for me. The reason I am giving four stars is because Adagio for Strings was just breathtaking, as well was the other pieces. Nothing against the album, but I would've loved to see symphony number one.
on August 16, 2014
I needed a replacement for my original Philadelphia Symphony plastic album. I am pleased to say that these recordings are excellent renditions.
on November 16, 2015
Adagio and the Overture to the School for Scandal are superb to my mind. Other selections are well done and interesting.
on September 9, 2015