Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now Sale

TOP 100 REVIEWERon March 3, 2012
Barbie in a Mermaid Tale 2 begins where the last one left off - Merliah is now a princess mermaid and her mother continues to rule Oceania.

Merliah wants to continue to be a teen and enjoy surf competitions while being human. But her mother wants her to transition into princess duties. It causes problems between mother and daughter as a big and important mermaid event approaches (Ceremony of the Tides - where the ruler's ability to make the magic merillia and heal the oceans is renewed). Meanwhile, Merliah's evil Aunt Eris has found the key to escaping her prison by using Merliah's human surfing competitor Kylie Morgan's jealousy against her. A new character, an angelfish named Allister, assists Eris' escape.

Barbie/Merliah grapples with issues of identity, responsibility, and being a gracious winner and loser in her surf competitions. As with most Barbie movies, she'll turn Raquelle (Kylie)'s jealousy from a destructive force into a positive friendship. And that friendship will be the key to Merliah accomplishing her goals and saving Oceania. It will also make Kylie a better person and help her reach her aspirations as well. There's a great message that bullying doesn't get you anywhere but that friendships transcend what any one person can accomplish alone.

In all, there are a lot of interesting characters this time and a lot of action - my 8 year old was entranced as she rooted for Merliah to arrive in time to prevent Eris from taking over her mother's kingdom. Especially fun are the band of bad guys - moray eels with a little electricity to boot (fun scene from the movie!). Also nice is that the dolls for the movie are inexpensive and all have speaking parts in the series - it makes play acting fun with so many characters to choose from.

Those who have enjoyed previous Barbie movies will be glad to hear that Kelly Sheridan is back voicing Barbie.

The barbie movies are always a great price and have a lot of replay value for the little ones. The two Mermaid Tales are some of the best stories in the Barbie movie series.
0Comment26 of 31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 8, 2012
This sequel to 2010's Mermaid tale continues to develop the story around the conflict between Merliah's human and mermaid heritages. As with any such conflict, Merliah's ultimate happiness depends on her ability to reconcile both in her life.

I personally thought this movie was better than the first one. As a parent, I really liked the messages about working together, forgiveness, overcoming adversity, learning to accept yourself and find joy when your life faces dramatic changes, facing your fears, and especially that there are more important things in life than winning. I especially liked the closing scenes because of the message that some things are more important than beating the competition and that life can honestly feel a lot better if we allow other people to share in our successes. As a fan of the Barbie movies in general, I was thrilled that Kelly Sheridan voiced Merliah. For me the voice artist change wasn't a deal breaker, but I definitely prefer Ms. Sheridan as the voice of Barbie. And, my daughter also really liked this movie.

There continued to be an emphasis on celebrity that I'm concerned about as a parent, though I was happy to see that while there was some commercialism in this movie, it wasn't as over the top as it has been in some of the recent Barbie movies. Though, on that note, the preview for Fall's Barbie movie, Princess and the Popstar, has me thinking that the Barbie line is going to continue it's emphasis on celebrity, which isn't thrilling. I also am concerned that this seems to be a reworking of the Princess and the Pauper concept, which I thought they did so well the first time that they ought to just leave it alone. But that is the next movie...For Mermaid Tale 2, I would definitely recommend this movie.
11 comment13 of 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 6, 2012
The DVDs were well packed. I received them in a timely manner but problem is I am located overseas, in Singapore to be exact and the DVDs are not playing with our Samsung DVD player or Xbox. We still have to use our MACBook pro to view it. So i think the region on the DVD is not set to universal so it can be played and watched anywhere in the world considering that Amazon's clients are not only US / CAnada based but all around the globe.
on March 17, 2014
My granddaughter loved Barbie in a Mermaid Tale 2. It's a great movie for little girls, and enjoyable for big girls to watch with them! We purchased "Tale 2" before we watched the original, but will be going back to purchase the original one, soon. I only allow my granddaughter to get 1 new movie a week from Amazon Instant Videos, so she has to put her requests on a waiting list. We LOVE Amazon instant videos!
on April 11, 2012
My three old and I both enjoyed watching this together and she has watched it a few more times on her own since. It's even better than the first one and I cant imagine watching it over this one at all now. I enjoyed the extra surfing and the story line and my daughter enjoyed seeing snout and zuma and aris again.
VINE VOICEon April 4, 2012
Barbie in A Mermaid Tale 2, DVD. A great movie for the young ones. Our grandchildren love watching this over and over again. It does teach a lesson on caring and helping others. Even we grandparents get mesmerized by the movie too. They also have the dolls available too that go with the movie!
on February 25, 2014
But one place I can't watch it because it was too badly scratched in that spot, the original owner of the movie said on the description that there were no scratches but that was because he hardly glanced at it, so we already got that figured out and I got my refund and I got to keep the movie! so it all worked out and I get a Free movie movie to end that situation. Thanks!
on August 15, 2014
My daughter and I love all the barbie movies. A Mermaid Tale 2 was much better than the first Mermaid Tale. Barbie plays Merliah, in competition with another surfer. The other surfer steals her necklace and is able to become a mermaid. Merliah again has to save her underground kingdom. Overall great music, good action, and age appropriate for a 4 year old.
on December 5, 2012
...She likes all the Barbie videos/movies. But for myself I will say this, at least the Barbie movies try to wrap some morality and friendship messages into them. They are usually colorful and have some humor wrapped into them. There are far worse cartoons/animated adventures out there that I won't let my daughter watch.
on March 29, 2015
We own a copy of this movie and gave it as a birthday present. It's very popular with my daughter and her friends. And even my 7 year old son enjoys it. All the Barbie movies are fun and appropriate. I'm so surprised at the quality of these movies.