5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this!
Published on February 10, 2011 by Jessica T.

1.0 out of 5 stars Contrary to the title, this is NO fairytale
Published on September 23, 2010 by Melanie Stepp Lane

1.0 out of 5 stars Contrary to the title, this is NO fairytale, September 23, 2010
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
Oh, to go back to the days when Barbie movies were full of imagination, creativity, princesses, dreams come true and REAL fairytales. This is no fairytale. It's a pathetic excuse for a kid's movie that is trying to be hip and modern and introducing little girls to the world of twitter, Juicy Couture and boyfriend breakups. "A Fashion Fairytale" is anything but. The animation was lame, the dialogue was too filled with "hip" phrases and "teen terms" to be good, and the characters leave much to be desired. And the clothes are immodest, over-glitterized pink party outfits that no one in the real world would wear. The themes have more sexual content than a Barbie movie has ever had, and I'm truly sorry I bought this sorry excuse for a movie. Even older viewers and Barbie lovers can't enjoy it, because the bar has been set. Listen up, Mattel!
This movie is nothing but an encouragement to have the latest fashions, the top designs, the coolest new cell phones, the hottest boyfriends, and be uber popular at the same time. Please! Children don't need sexy models and lecherous dogs to look up to. Barbie used to stand for something more. Her standards used to be higher. Now she's too busy shopping for even MORE tight, low-cut, haute clothes. And while she's at it, she COULD use another micro miniskirt, couldn't she? The only decent outfit this chick wears is when she's filming for "the Princess and the Pea." And she gets fired from that!
I want to go back to the days when I saw a barbie movie and bought it knowing it was going to be wholesome, whimsical, sweet, and creative. They got it so right back then-this is madness.

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this one!, September 19, 2010
Julie CHLA (San Francisco, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
The Barbie movies I've seen up to now have been, although cheap looking and with terrible animation, decent entertainment with some nice messages about girl power. All I can say with this one is: what happened? I've given the movie two stars only because my 5 year old really enjoyed it...but honestly, I would not recommend it to any of my friends. To begin with - the start of the movie is confusing and very unsettling for young viewers. It starts with Barbie as the princess in the Princess and the Pea, getting menaced by the prince's mother...but then the scene shifts to reveal that it is a movie set, and Barbie is an actress. Some scary Zombie men in pea costumes are introduced (making my 3 year old very anxious), Barbie disagrees with the director and is ridiculed for her ideas and then fired for speaking up, she finds herself humiliated online in a gossip blog, and her boyfriend Ken breaks up with her over the phone. This is in the first 15 minutes! Barbie then decides to go to Paris to visit her aunt, a fashion designer. The negative themes continue from there - upon arrival she meets some nasty fashion designer rivals, and learns her aunt's business has failed. Of course, this being a Barbie movie, Barbie helps to turn things around, but even then, it's magical (tarted up) "flairies" (magic fashion fairies-- huh?-- totally out of place in this movie) that get the credit for making the designs truly special. How do the flairies do it? By adding a boatload of glitter, of course!

I find it hard to find a female character to get behind in this movie. Barbie's friends are barely there, and when they are, they act like airheads, her aunt spends the movie taking pratfalls in ridiculous getups, her aunt's design rivals Jacqueline and Delphine are cruel and simpering, respectively, and the young designer Alice is mousy and self-doubting, even with Barbie's constant prodding. Barbie herself spends some time doubting her own abilities as an actress- and although she does enjoy the accomplishment of helping her aunt and Alice out of a bad situation, she only ends up personally validated at the end after Ken and a male (agent? director?) show up and profess their admiration. What the heck? The men fare no better - Ken is a doofus, for lack of a better word, the men in the movie business are obnoxious...there's a little boy who is annoying and then provides a gross-out moment. Oh, and the dogs - there's a lecherous male dog, I suppose to fulfill some stereotype of French male behavior.

Really, I'm tempted to take away a star, but like I said, my 5 year old daughter enjoyed it a lot. She liked the Paris scenes, the fashion show, the glitter. Both the 3 & 5 year old enjoyed the pets. But there are much better Barbie movies out there than this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Highly Disappointing, September 16, 2010
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
This is the worst Barbie movie ever! I have bought all the movies for my now 4 year old daughter. We are big Barbie Fans and have enjoyed the past movies. However,this one is just so bad in so many ways. The content is very adult and not meant for young children. It deals with adult issues with heavy burdens. Ex: Getting fired, breakups, Closing business, hateful people who want nothing but to see you suffer and get hurt.
It all starts off very badly from the beginning scene where Barbie is filming the classic 'The Princess and the Pea' and it turns into a horror movie, per this very obnoxious, hateful yelling director. He fires Barbie in the worst way possible. Then she gets hate mail on her computer as well as her boyfriend Ken dumping her over the phone. Yeah, but don't hold your breath yet. It gets even worse as the story progresses.
I could not even watch it through the first 20 mins. The characters are so unintelligent. Theresa is just so dumb. Who says stuff like she does anyway? Aliens... Really? Come on even my 4 year old is brighter than her. The Dippy Aunt Millicent is just too unbelievable trying to find herself at her age. The Catty and unethical Jaquline is something I hope my daughter never tries to imitate as well as Delphine, a mindless twit who lets Jaquline boss her around disrespectfully and control her every move. Even the pets act up in this one with meaness, cattiness and just plain hateful behavior. The kid on the plane with Ken who is just over the top bad is just unappealing in so many ways. I found it difficult to watch this movie and felt embarrassed by the fictional characters behaving so badly. Stealing, lying, cheating and disrespect are not things I want to instill in my child. Do yourself a favor and skip this one if you are a Barbie fan and enjoyed the ones in the past. I wish I had!

1.0 out of 5 stars So Sad and Disappointed, October 16, 2010
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
My daughters and I have watched and purchased every Barbie movie they have made, and vowed that we would always watch them together even as they get older. Not sure we'll be doing that now after watching this movie. Why did they change the Barbie movies, when they were so good before? In this one, Barbie looks really weird, her voice is different (no more Kelly Sheridan), and the magic is gone. The previews for the next Barbie movie do not look good either (for Spring 2011). My girls and I are so sad at the end of the special Barbie movies that we have enjoyed all of these years. :(

1.0 out of 5 stars My girls somewhat enjoy it, but I DON"T!, September 18, 2010
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
This is definitely the worst of the movies in the Barbie series. It started off with wonderful adaptations of classics like the Nutcracker, Swan Lake, and the Princess and the Pauper but has really just deteriorated with each new one. I really didn't care for Barbie in a Mermaid Tale, but this one is so much worse than that.

Barbie is no longer voiced by Kelly Sheridan, which is a shame and a big loss in itself. The music and songs are not very fun or catchy like previous Barbie movies. They have changed Barbie's look too, given her these huge unnatural eyes and a pointy little face. But in this movie, Barbie is a young adult having to deal with a job loss, a break-up with her boyfriend, and struggling to save a business. Barbie actually sits and reads hate postings on a blog about her on the internet....they put this in a kids' movie??

My daughters enjoy the sparkly clothes and the scenes with the little magical fashion "flairies", which are completely out of place in a movie trying to be so "realistic". It seems to me they are saying that no matter how wonderful the things you create are, they will be so much better if you add some glitter. Hmmm, like nothing you'll do is good enough. The main message to "believe in yourself" comes off as just lame in this movie, if you even notice it at all.

All in all, there is not much to recommend this movie. You're not missing out if you skip it and wait and hope for something better with the next Barbie movie.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor taste, October 20, 2010
MG (LOS ANGELES, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
This movie is not for young girls. It is too realistic and the words used are poorly chosen. The characters get angry and yell at eachother and the content is more for adults. Not wholesome or fun at all!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a good direction, Mattel, October 16, 2010
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
I really wanted to like this movie. I gave it the benefit of the doubt because of all the hype built up for it and the cover art is gorgeous. I thought the idea of fashion design would be a fun plot, especially since my daughters love to dress up. In fact, I was even planning to build the theme of my daughter's next birthday around a Barbie Fashion show theme. Still want to do that, but, here's my take on the film:

1. I really thought the animation was improving right up to the Mermaid Tale movie. It was really getting fantastic. This being the latest film, I expected the animation to actually have improved. It looks worse! In fact, I felt like the characters moved like bad video game characters. The only difference being that the detail and rendering is better. But, the animation was very stiff.

2. I HATE Barbie's new face! What is up with the abnormally large eyes, big head and tiny mouth? She looks like an alien with make-up, blond hair and blue eyes! Bring the old Barbie look back, please. That Barbie was gorgeous and looked more like the dolls.

3. I agree with others who have said the storyline was very shallow. I wanted to add, too, that the characters are exaggerrated to the point that it wasn't even comical. The little boy in the airplane was annoying. He appeared to be 6 years old but behaved like a toddler (in reference to bursting into tears when Ken made a face back at him). The zombie peas were ridiculous (I know, that was the point), and I didn't feel the need to see them anymore beyond the first scene. As for the guy in the hotdog suit toward the end. Ugh, need I say more?

If I loved anything about the movie, it was the "flairies", they were adorable and I loved the acting and animation for them. It just seems like they didn't do much more than glitterize all of the clothing. Hello, that is WHY you don't "see anything like that", because not everyone wants to wear glitter-tastic party dresses! Although the third fairy who found her talent toward the end, I liked that. That was a nice touch.

I do have to say that I also really like the music. Can't wait till the soundtrack is available because I would love to play it at my daughter's birthday party. I will say, she did love the movie. But, she loves Barbie and she REALLY loves sparkles and pink, so that kind of bought her bigtime.

I'm just disappointed in this Barbie film. We have all of the others. I wish it was just another one where Barbie is at the beginning and ending of the film, telling a story to a youngster that teaches them a good life lesson.Barbie used to be about believing in yourself and girl power and just being a good a likeable person. Not about boy drama or what the latest styles and trends are. Girls have enough of that surrounding their everyday lives. Come on, Mattel, fix this before you lose a lot of adoring fans.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been better., September 17, 2010
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
My 3 year old owns almost all of the Barbie movies. She did not like this one at all. It was boring and there was no singing. Most of the Barbie movies are incredibly corny but they had some catchy songs (e.g. Diamond Castle, Mermaid Tale, Princess and the Pauper, Island Princess, Musketeers). This movie was just....blah. That's the only way to describe it. It was boring and unremarkable. Save your money and rent it for a night, or buy a better Barbie movie.

2.0 out of 5 stars Fashion Fairytale or Fabulous Freakout?, September 16, 2010
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
I was not looking forward to this movie, but I was (somewhat) pleasantly surprised, so I'll start with the bright side. The romance of Barbie and Ken was sweet (thought a little ridiculous. This was a big surprise, since lately, the character of Ken is made to look wimpy or altogether non-existent (although he's equally idiotic in this movie). The theme "believe in yourself" was a bit overdone, but it was still inspiring for little girls. "Never give up" would have been a better motto.
The inclusion of more friends from Barbie's history...such as Grace, from the So In Style girls and Raquelle was a good twist. Barbie is portrayed as an imaginative, sweet, encouraging girl. The references to Barbie's past movies were a very nice addition, as were the evidences of her past movies and life as a real person. The speacial features were very good and included the dance video and music video from Mermaid Tale. I wish they had included the "Get your sparkle on", which can be viewed on youtube or fanpop. The music they used was good-particularly the music for the fashion show. Oh, and they used a rendition of "Who let the dogs out" and it was positively hilarious. The barrage of gallons and gallons of pink sparkles was a bit much, but that's a minor complaint.
Perhaps the best part was (SPOILER) when Jaqueline apologized--and was forgiven. Now THAT was very refreshing. So much of the time we're told "People never change! Get back at them because YOU rock!" and it was a wonderful change.
My biggest problem was most likely the slightly more sexual theme. Yes, it sounds crazy, but it's hinted at. Jaques, the pet of Aunt Millie, is enthralled by Sequin, Barbie's poodle. He watches her, gazing with his mouth open and tongue hanging out, and then he swivels around her and says "You are my muse, my inspiration! Let me dress you, my dear." winking and smirking all the while. In the outtakes Jacques swaggers up to a statue (remember, he's a dog) which he mistakes for Sequin. He strokes the statue's paw. "Ooh, my dear, you look so cold. Let Jacques...warm you up," he growls suggestively. Later when Ken rips his pants, the camera zooms in on his backside to see his red-heart underwear...more than once. MANY outfits reveal far too much leg and cleavage.
Then we come to the "magical" side. The flairies are some sort of ancient wizardry (although they look like immodest seven-year-olds with impossibly long legs, stilettos and cute figures) that are "called" or "awakened" by a special "chant". Once again, Teresa is obsessed with the extra-terestrial and/or paranormal. She reads alien magazines, and she believes Ken has been possesed by alien spirits. She yanks on his ear and orders them out of his mind. I'm sick of seeing Teresa (who is my favorite of Barbie's friends) being portrayed as either a new-age obsessive freak or just plain ditzy.

So if it weren't for the slight innuendos and magic dabbling, this movie would get three stars from me. It still doesn't compare with the Island Princess, Nutcracker, Princess and the Pauper, or any of the other previous princess movies. The animation, to say the least, is somewhat lacking. It has none of the charm or elegance we've come to expect. It's a tiny bit more realistic and the scenes of Paris are pretty good, but the faces are fake and plastic-looking. The music was fabulous, but just not right for a Barbie movie. I miss Arnie Roth's beautiful songs more and more. This movie shows the downfall of Barbie movies, and it made me wince more than a few times. It's just not as fabulous as its predecessors. An improvement over Mermaid Tale, but that's about it. I hated the fact that Kelly Sheridan wasn't the voice-over. For the first time in Barbie movie history, Kelly wasn't even in the cast. Just another first...the marking of Barbie going down the drain. And while the theme may have been "Stay true to your passion" but the movie shows two very different ideas: "If it's not 'In Style' then it's not worth spitting on" and "No matter how immodest or just plain freaky, if the fashion critics like it, it's going to the top."
Skip this one and go with one of the more classic Barbie movies. While your little girl will probably love it, older Barbie fans may not be so thrilled.

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter loves this!, February 10, 2011
This review is from: Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale (DVD)
I have seen the negative reviews on this, but my daughter loves the Barbie DVD's and currently owns all of them. The story line is a little out there, but honestly, most of the Barbie movies are. They're not reality. They're just fun movies with music that little girls love to watch. My daughter loves this movie and has watched it 3 times since it was delivered yesterday. I don't think the movie is as bad as some appear to think.

Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale
Barbie: A Fashion Fairytale by William Lau (DVD - 2010)
$14.98 $6.96