Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Voyage Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on Tikes

on August 1, 2007
My 6-year-old is so excited about her new Barbie Girl. And I've had lots of fun with it, too. You should have seen her eyes light up when she heard the first song that we downloaded. One minor, but nice, feature is that there is a Barbie song already on the player, which comes partially charged. We had a long day of errands before we could get home to download music, but she listened contentedly to the existing Barbie song over and over. I'm not sure about the headphones yet. There are three sizes of interchangable cushions for the ears, but at this point even the smallest ones aren't keeping them in her ears well. She's very petite. Maybe she just needs to get used to them.

One major disappointment for me is that the Barbie Girl is not compatible with music downloaded from the iTunes store or WMA files protected with DRM. I've only dealt with the iPod before. Maybe that's common for mp3 players? I don't know.

We've tried to do the online stuff, but children really need to be able to read and write (type) fluently before they can truly enjoy making friends. Right now I have to sit with her and read what others are saying and then type her responses. She absolutely loves the "making friends" part of the website, but I won't be able to help her with it everyday like I did today. Maybe it will encourage her to get serious about learning to read so she can do it on her own. She also has fun decorating her room and dressing up. With the Barbie Girl mp3 player she has access to much more furniture, clothing, and accessories.

I think it is educational as an introduction to related technology. We've already used several terms that she will need to know. . . USB port, username, password, log in, transfer files, etc. I don't know how durable the toy is, as we just got it today. It seems to be well made.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 9, 2007
We pre-ordered this for our daughter (11) who has not stopped playing with it since she got it. Mattel has designed and built the perfect MP3 player for girls who don't have a need for all the iPod bells and whistles. The online content is fun and captivating and the optional outfits make this a doll for the new age. Absolutely wonderful.
on September 11, 2007
I recently purchased this for my daughter's 9th birthday. She absolutely loves it! She had already been playing on [...], but now she is able to use her "B" bucks to get a dog and other accessories. Parents need to help child install on computer, it can be a little tricky. Her friends are all jealous and are already making their Christmas lists with the Barbie Girl as thier #1 toy. My daughter also likes that she can interchange the clothes and faces.
on September 13, 2007
My daughter is very happy with this toy. The only thing I don't like about the website this toy is for that one or the other way they are pulling the money from the parents pockets teasing the kids with some disabled features forcing to buy new products that have an access code to them and unfortunately an expiration date.
on August 7, 2007
MP3 player - good deal. Down side....instructions could be better for installing the program. Additionally, website still be worked on and tends to freeze often - so kind of a pain. Otherwise, my 7 and 9 year olds love this and the Barbie Girl website that this allows you to fully participate in.
on November 17, 2007
My daughter received this for her 9th birthday. It came out of the box ready to go already had songs and already charged for usage. Very easy to setup and easy to use. Works great with Windows Vista on my laptop. She very much enjoys this product. Very happy customer.a
on December 7, 2007
I bought this for my daughter's 8th birthday in November. She loves it! We haven't even gone online to do the games yet. She just likes having the MP3 player in the shape of a Barbie and also being able to change the face, outfit and hair of the doll. There are two negatives that go with this for her. It comes with three sizes of earbuds, but all three are still too big for my daughter's tiny ears. She gets frustrated about that, because they keep falling out. I can put them in my ears fine, but her ear holes are too small. They need to include one more smaller size. The other thing, is that the hair pieces that come with it do not stay on very well. It is liable to fall off the more the pieces are changed, but that could just be this particular one. Nothing is perfect! Overall my daughter is satisfied with it.
on August 18, 2007
I received the product as suggested (4days), very prompt. The only problem was that during the registration online I could not continue the process as the registration code at the bottom was already a used number. I called the help number on the booklet and it took them 1 week to replace the number. Nevertheless, my daughter is very happy with the product and thats whats important.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 5, 2007

My analysis is that this is a very safe chat system for kids. I give it "The Sid Seal of Security" (SSS).

- The authentication protocol is actually very sophisticated. Gene Kathol at FDR has been promoting this idea for years.

- The chat is white listed, meaning that you can't use words that aren't in the approved dictionary.

This means that if a sex-crazed heterosexual wants to chat with your daughter, he would first have to put his Barbie Girl into a USB port of her computer. Given the incidence of family member incest, this is not out of the question, but this is far-fetched, since on-line chat is not the usual enticement vector used by fathers, uncles, and brothers. It would be a bust anyway, because I'm guessing Mattel logs the date, time, and location of the enrollment.

All and all, I think it is a very cool idea. I can see it being extended to other demographics, with USB fobs that range from Transformers for young boys, to Hanna Montana for 'tween girls, and iPods for teenagers.

And just in time for Christmas!

- Sid
on December 15, 2009
This is a great first MP3 player for little girls. Without adding an optional Mini SD card, the thing is about 500 MB, which seems to be more than enough for a child. Keep in mind, this player operates much like an iPod Shuffle, i.e. there is no screen or menu from which to select particular songs; they just play in the order they're loaded. However, you can change the order by rearranging the songs using your computer when the player is hooked up. There are controls for volume and to skip songs. It turns on automatically when the earphone jack is inserted, so there is no on/off switch.

Now, here's a tip for most parents and grandparents: Forget the CD installation which essentially loads onto your PC a link to a site where your little one will be tempted to buy more products. Do you really want a 6 or 7 year old chatting online or buying a bunch of Barbie accessories from the Barbie Girls store while using your computer? Look at it this way - This is primarily a simple MP3 player with a little dress-up accessories for the Barbie.

The simple way to load MP3s onto the player is to use Microsoft Explorer, open the player, then drag and drop music from your music files onto it. If you're like me, you'll have to find and download things like Hanna Montana, Taylor Swift, etc. as your music collection probably doesn't include such selections. I'm not endorsing any download site, but most songs can be transferred a few times after acquiring. Just don't buy them from iTunes. Actually, I think music acquired from Amazon will work, but I'd call them first.