Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on July 8, 2005
I bought this at a local store for $20. It seemed cute, so I bought it.

My daughter was so excited to open the box! Last night, when we did, I realized what a piece of junk it was. It only sews one stitch length, so don't bother sewing anything but your basic cotton calico type fabrics (and it has trouble sewing through 4 layers, so don't think for a minute you're actually going to hem over a seam), it has no zig-zag, so don't plan on washing anything your child sews (the material will unravel) and it only speed control it has is low or high (the low speed could be scary for beginning adults, even) The presser foot has no pressure control, just on or off. The thread breaks constantly, the tension doesn't really adjust and the presser foot is so low in th "up" position that it's difficult to get the fabric under it.

I am returning it today.

Don't waste your $40, it's not even worth $20... I am highly considering getting an inexpensive full size machine instead.
on October 6, 2005
My mother bought this toy for my 6 year old daughter who was so exicited to get a sewing machine and sew like me. This thing sewed maybe two stitches and then the thread either broke or came out the needle. Thinking just the machine we got was defective we took it back, TWICE and the same thing. Not only was I disappointed but imagine my daughter. I plan on spending a few extra dollars and getting her a real mini sewing machine.
on August 23, 2005
Please believe all these reviews. I purchased a lot of 15 of these machines for $30, and I don't have the conscience to sell a single one. I spent 30 minutes trying three different machines, and every single one wouldn't work past one stitch. It's not the user -- it's the machine. I went to this site to confirm it wasn't me, and as you can see from the other reviews...it's the machine. I wish it DID work -- such a neat idea for the little ones.
on May 26, 2005
Unless you are getting a machine for your child to just look at, don't get this sewing machine!! My mother purchased this for my daughters 10th birthday. She was sooo excited to use it, we got it out of the box and were excited to see it was threaded and ready to go. It sewed about 5 stitches, then the thread broke and it never worked again. I messed with the tension dial for an hour. Didn't matter what way we turned it, it never changed the tension. My mother is an avid sewer for the last 50 years and she couldn't figure it out either. This is a piece of junk. If you are looking for something that really sews I would recommend a low cost sewing machine. Who wants to learn on something that just frustrates them???
on April 3, 2005
My 6-year old daughter and I have spent many quality hours together with this adorable sewing machine. I know very little about sewing, but we have been able to make bags, pajamas, and a sleeping bag fairly easily! I have been impressed with the simplicity and durability of the machine. The only difficulty we've had is that the thread breaks now and then while sewing but is no big deal to fix. This is the gift my daughter has used more than any other!
on January 18, 2005
This came out of the box and worked for four stitches total and then died. I called the manufacturer who never got back to me. My daughter is very disappoint..top of xmas list for her. Don't buy this. With S&H and tax, it cost $50. It is cheap junk. You can buy a beginner real machine at Sears for $75 and she can have it for years.
on May 19, 2005
My 6 year-old daughter received this as a Christmas gift and was very excited about using it. We quickly realized that it was too complicated for her. Even with an adult using it, the machine jammed up on the second use. My husband was able to get it unjammed and it immediately jammed up again. After several repetitions of this, I found myself wishing it had come with a receipt. I would most certainly not spend $40 on this machine.
on March 25, 2009
I chose this machine for my daughter based on the good reviews I had read, and I was very excited for her to try it. The first time she tried to sew a straight hem she was having trouble so I went to help her. I could hardly get it to sew straight as well! It really pulls to the left and requires quite a bit of manual correcting. And then when I tried to use the reverse feature (one of the reasons I bought this machine), that of course doesn't go straight back either. So I ended up with a backwards N shape, rather than a straight line. One more thing, when I tried to pull the needle thread to make it a little longer before I started sewing, I thought I was going to break the needle. Very difficult. If my 6 year old hadn't been right there I would have been cursing at the machine. I wish I had bought a more full sized machine with more stitch options as well. I'm dissapointed.
on January 12, 2009
My 9 y/o daughter loves this machine. Love that is has a light and a reverse stitch. She can use the foot pedal or the button on the machine. The tension is a little tight so the thread sometimes comes out of the needle. But, otherwise love it.
on December 27, 2004
My daughter received this toy for Christmas and it's been a very frustrating experience. As an experienced quilter and seamstress, I wasn't expecting to sit down and sew a quilt using this machine, but I was at least expecting to be able to sew more than six stitches before the thread got all jumbled up and became a mess. The tension adjustment on this thing leaves much to be desired -- after over half an hour of playing around with it, I still haven't got it quite right -- but I do have a terrific headache! I really just want her to have something to learn the absolute basics on before she graduates to my old sewing machine, but it looks like I should have just gone for the real thing to start with. Take my advice, if you are a parent who sews, just use your own machine to teach your child or purchase an old used one. Your child will enjoy the time spent actually sewing much more than mine is enjoying the time standing by while I try to figure out the tension on this darn thing!