5.0 out of 5 stars Our 5-year old daughter LOVES this for imaginative play.
I'm not really a fan of fairy princesses, fairies, and the like. In a "moment of weakness" I bought this for my daughter (at her request), thinking that it would be a good example for her to learn that toys are often not as fun or cool in real life as they appear to be in advertising. Boy, was I wrong. (Probably not the last time, either, but worth mentioning in case...
Published 19 months ago by MJC

2.0 out of 5 stars Flimsy Pieces and Poor Design Leaves a Lot to be Desired
My five-year-old daughter seems to prefer the smaller dolls for play, so I thought this set would be perfect for her. Size-wise, it doesn't take up very much space and the castle playset comes with everything your child will need to act out stories with the Barbie characters Mariposa and Catania. My daughter has never seen the Barbie Mariposa movies, and it has no impact...
Published 19 months ago by Jennifer

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fairy Fun!, August 16, 2013
This review is from: Barbie Mariposa and The Fairy Princess Castle Playset with Mini-Dolls (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 8 year old daughter loved playing with this Fairy Princess Castle Playset. Lots of included accessories for the two little included fairy dolls. The Castle was fairly easy to set up - took about 10 minutes. It seems fairly durable and has so far lasted through a dozen or so play sessions without coming apart or parts breaking. Some of the parts are very small, so I would not recommend this toy for very little girls.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great girl fun, August 15, 2013
SAM (Deep South) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My 4 1/2 year old daughter loved playing with this dollhouse. It is so bright with it's girly colors. She loved playing kitchen. We loved the moveable parts (the tower that rotates the dolls as well as the dancefloor). One downside is the small flimsy pieces but, overall, my daughter adored her dollhouse.

5.0 out of 5 stars So cute and pretty!, August 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This castle is so fairytale pretty. Beautiful colors, cute decor, all so girly. The dolls are beautiful too with pretty outfits and butterfly wings. I love the cute accessories too. My only complaints are that the set feels just a tad flimsy (not enough so that I think it would break real easily - hopefully!), and I wish the set was just a little bigger. Calling it a castle is kind of a stretch. :) I mean for what it is, it's a beautiful playset and I definitely recommend it for little girls as I know they would love it. But just don't expect a real castle here, it's more like just a portion of one. It has a very reasonable price though especially since it includes 2 adorable dolls! Would make a fantastic gift on a birthday or Christmas that would undoubtedly bring a huge smile to the little princess you give it to! :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice dolls, but small, August 15, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
First, this is much smaller than I realized. The mariposa dolls are tiny - not Barbie sized. Still, I like the dolls a lot. They are pretty well-made and very pretty. You can't change their clothes, though, which is a negative. All they have is a skirt, and the rest is part of the doll's body. Really cute wings, though.

The house is another story. It's much smaller than I imagined, even given the small size of the dolls. It has some furniture, like a bed and small chairs, but they are made out of a very thin plastic. Not even as sturdy as the real Barbie furniture. The little place where you can stand the dolls and twirl them around isn't that great - you have to set the dolls on these fairly obvious plastic stands, and spinning them around with the plastic knob really isn't very entertaining.

On the other hand, the spinning thing at the top of the house, which makes it look they are flying, was more popular with the kids.

On the plus side, the house is not hard to put together. A 7 year old can do most of it with just a little help.

I'm not sure I'd recommend the house given that it's a bit expensive for such cheap plastic, but I would definitely recommend the dolls themselves. I think they are best for girls about 6 or 7 years old, and maybe a bit too young for the older crowd that is more into the real Barbies.

5.0 out of 5 stars A hit with my 9-year-old, August 14, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This isn't the most durable toy, but it still was a hit with my daughter, who loves Barbies and doll houses. It was a little tricky to put together because the instructions weren't very clear, but it comes with lots of accessories plus two mini dolls (Barbie and a fairy, both with wings) which is better for having fun with a playset than getting just one doll or worse, none at all. The mini size has a nice compact footprint for small bedrooms.

4.0 out of 5 stars This dad is happy, August 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
As a general rule I am not fond of toys that do all of the playing for a child. Some might classify Barbie as one of those toys, but as I have listened to my children play with Barbies over the years I have to strongly disagree. My children create elaborate, imaginative scenarios with Barbie, her friends, her cars, her horses and some assorted, random furniture and I encourage that. The product description for this toy touts that children can re-create scenes from the latest Barbie Mariposa DVD. Instead, my children create their own stories and become quite involved with them.

This set does not work with full-sized Barbies. Instead, it includes two small Barbies that are roughly the size of Polly Pockets, which is great for my daughters since they have a lot of Polly Pockets. There are a lot of small pieces, which is also typical of Polly Pockets. This would be a great toy to use as a starter kit for Polly Pockets if your daughter is interested in collecting them.

It is an easy-to-assemble but not a particularly sturdy-feeling set, although sturdy is a relative thing, depending on the child.

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable for my girls, August 13, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A few comments about this product regarding its pros and cons:

Pros
1) The assembly required is pretty simple. Many of the larger pieces are already affixed, so it's not a time-consuming project.
2) The size and weight make it easily portable.
3) The lack of bells and whistles encourage imaginative play.

Cons
1) Small pieces are easy to lose, and could be dangerous for those who like to put them in their mouth.
2) The dolls are of rather low quality, although that doesn't seem to discourage play.
3) It's not the sturdiest of construction, so I have song concerns about long-term durability.

Even with those cons, I'd still recommend this product. It's priced very fairly, especially when compared with some other Barbie-related items, and most importantly I think most kids will enjoy playing with it. We tend to evaluate these products too often from a parental perspective, but the kids' view should also get some credence.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but definitely watch the pieces, August 1, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My daughter is much too young for this toy, sort of. She is pretty good about keeping things out of her mouth but I do understand why it is rated for older kids. A lot of tiny pieces that you need to keep an eye on.

When playing with her, she loves the two little dolls that she can play with and overall she seems to really get into playing with this castle.

Side bonus: my one cat thinks the girl flying on top is amazingly entertaining as well.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute Castle, July 30, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Barbie's Mariposa Castle is a cute play set. It's typical of most of the castles we've had, kind of flimsy, comes with lots of teeny tiny pieces and doesn't always stay together very well. My niece loves it though. She doesn't mind when a piece falls over, she likes the fairies that fly around on the top. I will say this set is a little better than some and not quite as expensive. I paid quite a bit more for a similiar castle that fell apart in about 10 minutes. All in all for the price this is a better castle than most and the fairies that fly around the top are really cute.

4.0 out of 5 stars A little flimsy, but provides food for the imagination, July 26, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If your children like Mariposa and fairy princesses they will like this castle play set. It comes with two small fairy dolls and some furniture. It is probably best for the older child since there are a lot of little pieces that need to be "managed." My granddaughters are five and seven and they gave it two thumbs up. They enjoyed the dolls especially and were making clothes out of construction paper and glitter for them to match the majesty of the castle. The castle isn't very substantial, but does provide the kids with a lot to do with the little fairy princess Barbies.

‹ Previous | 1 2 36 | Next ›