Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

on November 19, 2009
We bought this for our 2 gandchildren as a Christmas gift. My husband assembled it. He is very mechanically inclined. If anyone could assemble it properly, he could. The shower would not go in straight, and so the electrical connection to it was not made. Thus Barbie could not sing in the shower. The refrigerator did not light up, the fireplace did not crackle, and the light in the dining room didn't work. We returned the item. But even without these dysfunctions, the house is so cheaply and poorly made that I don't recommend it. There are no interior walls to help stablize it. It just has the pillers supporting the interior. If you would just set Barbie on the floor, the whole house would shake. If a child bumped into it(and that wouldn't have to be very hard), I think the whole thing would fall over backwards. The elements are made of thin, cheap plastic--the horizontal poles on the canopy bed bend and would break easily, and even the fence around the spa doesn't stand straight because the plastic is so flimsy. I expect some of the furniture and small pieces would soon be broken. What fun or educational value does it have if it is broken? Spare yourself the disappointment and save your money. There are other doll houses made to the scale of Barbie that are better made.
33 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 31, 2010
The instructions had no text. There was no way shown to repair a malfunctioned electrical connection. A piece broke off as I took it out of the box. However, my granddaughter loves it and told me her Barbie's are very happy to have a home. What can I say!
on December 30, 2009
Recently bought this townhouse for my daughter for Christmas. Purchased from Amazon.com about a couple of weeks before Christmas. Unfortunately they raised the price by about $30 since I first started researching this item. My fault for waiting till the last minute. Still was a bargain considering I didn't have to wait in line at a toy store or pay sales tax. I had this item shipped to my office, since last year I bought a Smart Cycle for Christmas and it showed up on my door step with no outer box. Try explaining that to a 3 year old who was expecting it from Santa. Anyways, the townhouse ended up arriving at my office with a big outer UPS bag around it.

The assembly of the townhouse took about an hour to complete. The instructions are mainly picture based and are not entirely clear at times. I read from other reviewers that the assembly of the elevator was confusing, so I spent extra time to ensure that I completed it correctly and ended up not having any problems with it. Overall, I felt the assembly was ok.

Since receiving this from Santa, my daughter has had a great time playing with it. The elevator and jacuzzi seem to be the biggest hit for her. Unfortunately, the durability of the product does not seem to be the best. The pop-up TV no longer "pops-up" automatically. The light that goes on when the door opens is not consistently going on. The doorbell button has a tendency to stick. One of the tabs holding the shower in-place has broke (this tab was partially broken when I opened the box for assembly). One of the table chairs will not stay together.

Another thing to mention is that the barbie dolls that my daughter has seem to be a bit too tall for this townhouse. The tops of their heads hit the ceiling and makes it difficult to move around within the house. My daughter has seemed to adapt to this and it doesn't seem to bother her too much.

Despite the durability issues, my daughter is in love with this townhouse. So I guess it's all worth it. Let's hope the excitement lasts.....
on December 6, 2010
Heard that this will be re-stocked a couple weeks before xmas at the regular $150 - $170 price. Don't pay these prices...there is a false sense of lack of ability to purchase. Shame on all of you charging double the price and holding back stock. Shame on Mattel for allowing this to happen again this year.
on January 15, 2012
My 7 year old got this for Christmas and, while it gets quite a bit of play, it's just OK overall. There are quite a few pros and cons to this thing that I think would help anyone who is trying to navigate through the land of 11 1/2" doll houses.
-Pros-
-It's real Barbie, by Mattel. This means that it is frilly, fancy, and pink. Did I mention it is very pink? Any girl who has any Barbies at all will probably prefer this to other options out there (disney princess castle, and wooden varieties come to mind.)
-It does neat things like make Barbie sing in the shower, has a crackling fireplace(this was a dealbreaker for our daughter), has a doorbell and light, as well as other features.
-There is an elevator that carries Barbie to the different levels of her townhouse instead of her having to float from room to room, or cram herself up a small staircase.
-It's pretty big so multiple kids can play with multiple dolls at one time.
-It comes with furniture and plenty of accessories.
-Cons-
-It seems very unsturdy...especially for the price paid. It kind of creaks and wiggles when it is played with...it is plastic afterall. I question how long it will be before something gets broken.
-Assembly is a little confusing and directions are unclear. It took us a while to figure out that the door opening triggers the light fixture to light. Most of it is common sense, but still, it takes a while (think hours) and it would be nice to be sure you are doing it right.
-The connector holding the elevator keeps popping out and it sends it crashing to the ground. I suspect this will be the first major part to get broken to where it is unrepairable.
-Some of the furniture isn't really functional with the dolls. This isn't really much of a surprise to anyone who has ever owned a Barbie doll, but after this many years it seems a chair could be designed that Barbie could actually sit in. I am sure her feet hurt after all this time.

I would probably buy this again because my kids LOVE it, but in my eyes it is just mediocre quality for what you pay for it.
on July 27, 2014
My daughter's loved this Barbie dream townhouse when they first got it, but the newness wore off pretty quickly and they don't really play with it anymore. Where are a lot of little accessories that come with the house and I seem to vacuum them up quite often. It is pricey, so I would only buy it if your child is a true Barbie lover.
on October 20, 2014
Loved getting this in time for Christmas but it arrived with all the markings announcing what was inside. This was a very hot ticket item several years ago and when we found it delivered at our front door, we only missed by seconds having it found by our granddaughter that came to see what had been delivered. I never moved so fast in my life. That surely would have ruined the huge surprise she got at Christmas.
on October 19, 2009
This was a gift from a relative for our 4 yr old. It took a couple of hours to put together. In case, like us, you think the instructions are missing--here are the complete instructions--

Step 1: Elevator Cord
Step 2: Door
Step 3: First Floor
Step 4: Insert Elevator
Step 5: Second Floor
Step 6: Third Floor
Step 7: Lights

Hope you got that! In case you find this hard to understand, these instructions are printed in 10 languages.

The structure is flimsy--I don't expect it to last a week, I'm sure many of the 55(!) parts will be missing by bedtime. This might be more appropriate for an 8 yr old? If you have to have it, asseble it while your child is not present. The box, however, is nice and strong--maybe we can cut it up and make a real dollhouse.
on December 26, 2011
First of all for the good price love it !! But the instructions is not good , got hangers but no place to hang the hangers . Lights don't work , tried to change batteries still din't work .. my daughter is very sad , then elevator is very hard to connects ..
on May 26, 2015
I bought this for my daughter and she loved playing with this for years. I loved the fact that it really didn't take up much floor space in her room. All the sounds that it made are cute and not super loud like other toys.