5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Fun

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely frustrating for my 6 year old
Published on November 5, 2004 by Kim Palmer

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Extremely frustrating for my 6 year old, November 5, 2004
= Durability:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
I just bought this toy for my daughter's 6th Birthday and thought she would love it. It turned out to be a huge disappointment. There are two ways to shop. By yourself, or buying items off Barbie's shopping list. All my daughter wanted to do was use the handheld scanner that is attached to scan the barcode on each item. She is smart and bright and good with her hands and got so frustrated with that scanner that it drove her to tears. Even I had a difficult time with it. It needs to be held exactly aligned with the box and slowly moved across the barcode in order for a proper scan with Barbie reciting the product and the total cost. I would have to scan it over and over in order for a good scan. The other way to get Barbie to recognize the item is to punch in the 3 numbers over the barcode. I thought this was a good educational option other than the scanner, but my daughter was disappointed that she couldn't scan the items.

Also, the shopping list task seemed like a fun idea. Barbie asks for items in the book and states they are in aisle 2 or frozen foods and you have to look them up and punch in the number. The problem with this feature is that the shopping cart automatically shuts itself off after 90 seconds of inactivity and there is no way to change the amount of time. I appreciate that they want conserve battery life, but my daughter would get two or three items on the list punched in and then would be looking through the book for the next item, and the cart would shut off. Then she would have to turn the cart back on and start all over again. This was another cause for frustration as it sometimes took her more than 90 seconds to look up the item and if she didn't also remember to hit some button on the machine to let it know she was still playing with it, it shut itself off.

This was a good idea for a toy, but we are so disappointed with its features. Why can't they make toys that work properly?? I would love to know if others had a better experience with it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Too high priced, January 22, 2005
S. Galvan "galvansb" (Odessa, TX United States) - See all my reviews
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
My 4 year old daughter received this for Christmas this year. Like the other reviewers, we found it frustrating. Everytime she looks for an item on the shopping list, it shuts off before she's through. It is very durable but is hard to push on the carpet. She never uses the scanner because you have to do it exactly right for it to work. I think she was a little dissapointed that it doesn't have a place for her doll to sit. It was not worth $70.

1.0 out of 5 stars SCANNER RARELY WORKS, November 26, 2005
= Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:2.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
I bought this particular toy because my daughter wanted to be able to 'Scan and Play'. The scanner doesn't work so she doesn't get to scan only play. I could have saved her the frustration and saved quite a bit of money if I had instead bought a different inexpensive cart. VERY disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars VERY CHEAP TOY, April 26, 2006
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
I BOUGHT THIS TOY FOR MY DAUGHTERS FIFTH BIRTHDAY. SHE LOVES THE TOY DESPITE THE FACT THAT SHE CANT SCAN THE ITEMS FAST ENOUGH WHEN BARBIE ASKS. ALSO THE TOY DID NOT COME WITH THE CARDS THAT SHE CAN SCAN, I WROTE THEM ABOUT THIS THREE TIMES AND I NEVER GOT A RESPONSE BACK FROM THEM. NOW I THOUGHT THIS WAS A GOOD TOY UNTIL A MONTH AND A HALF LATER THE TOY JUST STOPPED WORKING. THE LAST ITEM SHE SCANNED REMAINED ON THE SCREEN AND IT WONT COME OFF. I CHANGED THE BATTERIES AND EVERYTHING AND THIS TOY DOES NOT WANT TO WORK. I CALLED KID DESIGN INC. AND THEY WANT ME TO PAY TO SHIP IT TO THEM IN NEW JERSEY AND PAY FOR THE PACKAGE AND THE POSTAGE! I DONT THINK THAT IS RIGHT WHEN IT'S THEIR TOY THAT IS MESSED UP. I CANT EVEN TAKE IT BACK TO WHERE I BOUGHT IT CAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE ANYMORE. I THINK THEY SHOULD HAVE BETTER WARRANTIES FOR THESE KIND OF TOYS. I RAISE MY DAUGHTER TO TAKE CARE OF HER THINGS AND I DON'T THINK SHE SHOULD SUFFER CAUSE PEOPLE DONT MAKE THE STUFF LIKE THEY SHOULD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of Fun, December 28, 2004
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
Santa bought this for my 6 (7 in a few weeks) old daughter and she really likes it. Once I showed her how to scan, she had no problem scanning the items. You have to make sure that you start scanning at the starting point indicated on the item. You must also make sure, like others have said, that the light stays on the entire time. I do think the time given to find items is a little short, however, it forces my daugher to stay focused and quickly find items.

I am very impressed with the quality of the cart and the items. Many boxed food sets come with poorly made boxes that break and bend easily. Not these boxes. They are very sturdy. The cart is also very sturdy. Once put together, it doesn't fall apart.

Overall, this is a fun, educational, well made product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Frustrated 5 year old, January 2, 2005
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
I find that my daughter and I are having the same problems as many. The scanner is not only hard for her to use but me as well. If you don't line it up and scan slow it doesn't work. You have to do it again and again. Shutting off in the middle of the shopping list is also very annoying.
It is very durable. It is also very loud on the low setting. My daughter and I have repeatedly played with this toy only to end up walking away mad! My daughter is 5 and has no disabilities. [...] thought to be a fun toy turned out to be such a frustrating disappointment.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Toy!, December 20, 2004
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
I just bought this toy for my 4 year old daughter. She had been asking for it for weeks since she saw it on a TV commercial. I brought it home and put it together and immediately we both fell in love with it! It scans the 20+ items in the cart via barcode or you can manually punch in the 3-digit item numbers from the shopping guide. The scanner works wonderfully (first time, every time) and it is great entertainment for my daughter. Definately a great gift for any child who loves to play store!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbie shopping cart fun for the whole family, December 7, 2005
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
My daughter received the Barbie Scan N Play and has had a blast with it. It's so interactive with so much to keep your child busy. They've thought of everything with this cart: a scanning system, 30 pieces of food, a scannable catalog including a coupon circular along with coupons for those discounts.

This is a MUST HAVE for little kids that love pretend play shopping!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly Surprised, December 30, 2004
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
I bought this toy for my 3 year old daughter and she loves it! It is a perfect size for her. I read a review that the scanner was "touchy", but luckily we don't have any problems with it. The only thing with this toy is that it is a bit loud. Overall, I am pleased with this purchase. I hope this was helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars We're very happy with this..., December 27, 2004
This review is from: Barbie: Scan 'n Play Shopping Cart (Toy)
My 4-year old daughter loves to play store. She's always getting our food out of the pantry and then using our counter as a checkout lane...and of course bagging everything up. So you can imagine how excited we both were when we saw this cart for the first time!

Santa put it all together in record time. Everything snaps easily together. The food packages are all heavy duty. The juice and soda bottles are thick plastic and all the other boxed food (that is extremely realistic, by the way) is made with the same type of cardboard that toy manufacturers use to box up toys to put on the shelves, so it's very durable...and all the boxes have a nice and shiny finish on them for added durability.

My 4-year old had no problems with using this product. She'll be 5 in a month, but still she found everything user-friendly. The scanning device isn't at all difficult to use if you take the time to slide it across the box slowly while the light stays lit. As long as that light stays lit while you are scanning an item, you're fine and shouldn't have a bit of problems. Also, if you take the time to familiarize yourself with the toys you give your children before they begin play, you will find it much easier to instruct them on how to use them. That's what I did, and in turn she's happy and so am I with this shopping cart.

There's so many options with this cool toy. You can scan items for free play, you can also free play by typing in numbers from the book (probably her favorite thing to do with this, because of the beeping noises that plays when you push the buttons), you can shop from Barbie's shopping list (90 seconds isn't a lot of time when it comes to a frustrated child trying to find the item, so again, if you familiarize yourself with the toy first, you can see how all the items in the book are grouped and show the child this pattern...it's just like a real store, everything that is similiar is grouped together in the same aisle or page of book). There's also an "Announcements" button to push to hear announcements like we hear in the real stores. There's a price check button where you can either key in or scan an item. There's a lot of sounds and phrases/sentences Barbie says as well as a really neat LED screen that shows you each thing you have scanned as well as many other things such as what is on Barbie's shopping list.

Plenty of fun and plenty of things to do to keep my little one entertained. She loves it! I definitely say that this toy apparently isn't for everyone considering the comments below. But as you can see, our reviews are night and day so it's really up to the individual (as with everything else out there) to determine if this toy is right for them. I cannot stress enough how well put together this set is and how much fun we have playing store...whether we key in the items or scan them.

Good luck with your decision! If your child likes to play store and you've tried those cheap shopping carts out there that fall apart and all the food is cheaply done, try this one. It's more than worth it's cost because you can be confident that it's not gonna fall apart any time soon AND it's so incredibly interactive.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›