5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend!
Quality item, well built. Our granddaughter was so excited. She has used it several times already. Recommend it for your little fisher person !
Published 1 month ago by Kathy Wood

1.0 out of 5 stars A Piece of Junk
Published on March 23, 2009 by Jackson Landers

1.0 out of 5 stars A Piece of Junk, March 23, 2009
Jackson Landers (Charlottesville, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit (Sports)
I had a couple of Zebco spincast rods and reels similar to this when I was a kid. They were generally reliable, so I thought one of these would make a good first rod for my 5 year old daughter. But I picked this model up for her last weekend and it just doesn't work. Sometimes it will cast as far as 4 or 5 feet. Most of the time it locks up and does nothing at all, even though I am operating the thing properly.

This reel is unfortunately a completely piece of junk. Literally, you'd be better off tying some line to a flexible stick.

3.0 out of 5 stars How to fix Barbie Spincast fishing rod and reel by Shakespeare, July 14, 2013
Ben Henny (Gold River, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit (Sports)
We bought this Barbie fishing rod and reel for a 7yr old, who immediately practiced dry casting in the yard and everywhere else. It worked for 2 days before locking up, due to reeling in with the button depressed. The button pops up the silver bell thing, allowing the line to get up under it. If the line gets up under the "bell" (the silver steel thing that pops up when you press the button) and get tangled in there, you're going to need to disassemble it.

The line wraps around the screw inside the bell, and the spring mechanism won't be able to return the "button" to its normal position, and the button won't work right. Basically, if there's enough line up under the "bell" thing, it will require a 5/16 wrench or socket to take of the nut, remove the tangle, and re-assemble. If you're going fishing with this, bring along the appropriate socket or wrench, because you'll probably need it at some point.

The reel works like any other "spincast" type reel - but made with more plastic parts. Here's a vid on how to respool the reel:

[...]

And I almost forgot - there is no manual, and the only instructions is a short paragraph saying "use your thumb to press the button when you cast. Enjoy!" Strangely, it's followed by a series of fishing facts, like what a bobber is. It would have been far more useful to include information such as - when the reel gets stuck (which it will), try unscrewing the nut and disentangling the line.

5.0 out of 5 stars Would recommend!, June 29, 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Item broke almost immediately, February 18, 2014
This review is from: Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit (Sports)
Will not work after 6 year old child played with it for a few minutes! I had to throw it away as I already discarded packaging and not worth the trouble to return it.

5.0 out of 5 stars First Fish within Two Minutes, June 25, 2013
This review is from: Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit (Sports)
This was for our daughter's first fishing adventure. Being a preschooler, she was easily able to cast and drop her line with this product...and caught a fish within the first two minutes. Her excitement made the product worth every cent we paid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Gave it as a gift, March 15, 2013
This review is from: Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit (Sports)
I sent this to my niece in another state because she had asked for it. She has been using it all the time, going fishing with her dad o her grandpa and making good use of it. She's learned to cast and loves going to the creek to fish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbie gift, March 12, 2013
Myrna (Omaha, Ne, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit (Sports)
This was a gift for my great niece. She really liked it and I am sure the she will get good use from it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful with the fish that comes with it., July 21, 2014
This review is from: Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit (Sports)
The rod is well made but the rubber fish that came with it to practice casting only lasted a day. The hole in which you thread the line tore through.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lasted 2 hours with my 6-year old daughter., August 29, 2013
This review is from: Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit (Sports)
The little practice rubber fish was an awesome idea but the rod is more Chinese type junk that has invaded America since the invention of WALMART. I happen to have paid $13.76 plus tax for this at Walmart today. I was able to teach my daughter how to successfully press the button and cast very well before one of the cheap junk teeth on one of the internal gears broke and before the thing stop reeling the line in altogether. The button you press to release it won't come back out. Sick and tired of buying cheap junk. Raise the price and make it quality or don't put your companies name on it. DISGUSTED WITH JUNK IN TEXAS.

4.0 out of 5 stars All of My Kids Want this Reel, August 3, 2010
This review is from: Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit (Sports)
We bought this fishing reel for my 4 year old daughter. We recently went on a fishing trip and she caught more fish than anyone. I think this reel it is great for a young child and now my 16 year old, 12 year old and myself want one when we go fishing again. It is very lightweight and easy for anyone to detect when they have a bite.

It did lock up on us a little, but this was after catching a lot of fish. My daughter was the only one catching two fish at a time and she did so 4 times. I think the reel started locking up from all of the weight.

Barbie Spincast Rod and Reel Packaged Combo Kit