Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Barbie in The Nutcracker
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon October 2, 2001
Beautiful. Exquisite. Captivating. There aren't enough superlatives to describe the quality of Barbie's first, and hopefully not last, movie. I bought this for my daughter thinking that it would be fun video for her to watch (Barbie lover that she is at 2 1/2) as the holidays approach. I didn't expect to fall in love with it myself. In amazing computer animation, the Nutcracker is retold through the eyes of Barbie playing both the roles of Clara and the Sugarplum Princess. The story is strong, with lots of action and tenderness: the plotline includes, of course, Prince Eric as the Nutcracker, the Mouse King and his legions, and lots of adorable sugarplum fairies. The dance sequences will take your breath away as the graphics artists have integrated actual footage of the dancing of the New York City Ballet into their computer animated scenes. I only wish there had been more of them, but I will take quality over quantity! A few of the scenes were a little rough for my 2-year old, but really no worse than a Disney movie. Even if you're not a fan of Barbie, pick up this movie for its sheer storytelling and visual value. All in all, I have to say that this is destined to become a favorite for girls (including us moms!) of all ages.
on November 20, 2001
I never liked Babie, not even as a kid but I always enjoyed The Nutcracker. Being tired of watching a total musical, I was shocked to find that this video was more of a movie with a plot rather then all the charactors hopping up and down all over the picture. I love how the viewer watches as the Nutcracker and Clara bond closer as the movie Progresses. The animation is almost as good as Toy Story (Main Frame that made Barbie Nutcracker are the guys that made that computer series Reboot) But the best animation has to be the Mouse King and Pimm. Tim Curry did an excellent role playing the regal rodent and I would say that little purple bat is the cutest charactor not to mention great comic relief to the story (it's so cute when Pimm whispers as the mouse king is holdng him upside down by his feet "Sire I can't feel my toes" and he gives them a little wiggle, Just makes you want to squeeze him! Also the highlight is when Prince Eric and Clara dance together at the end, very realistic. As a major Barbie hater to enjoy a movie with the pink wearing doll as the star must be good!
on October 30, 2001
BARBIE IN THE NUTCRAKER IS SIMPLY A MUST-OWN! It is very enjoyable from start to finish and will captivate any age or sex if he/she will just sit down, relax and watch it. A great family movie for the holidays. My daughter is only three and she rarely sits still to watch a movie; however, with Barbie as the main character, along with the lovely fairies dancing and singing, the beautiful pink horse Marzipan, and yes, even the evil bat and Mouse King [Tim Curry's translation/voice is awesome,] she actually lies down and watches it ALL!
WHAT I WANT TO EMPHASIZE THE MOST IS THE HEART IN THIS MOVIE. It is very strong, especially displayed by Barbie and the Nutcracker. I am completely impressed with both of them. They are wonderful role models for our children. You will see the "heart" and you will feel the goodness, through them. It is truly magical. Barbie represents in the kind of young lady we, as parents, want our daughters to grow up as--kind, soft-spoken, sincere, intelligent, and strong. This movie isn't just for girls, brothers will surely enjoy it as well and hopefully observe the Nutcracker's strength, demeanor and chivalry and learn a few things as well.
BARBIE IN THE NUTCRACKER IS THE SPECIAL, RARE KIND OF MOVIE THAT REMINDS ME WE LIVE IN A TRULY MAGICAL WORLD WHERE ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. DREAMS CAN COME TRUE. SO GO AFTER THEM BOLDLY WITH ALL YOUR HEART!
BUY THIS MOVIE NOW! You will not be disappointed, trust me! I give it my Highest rating!
Soar everyone!
Soaring Heart
on November 11, 2001
I am new to the modern Barbie and have to say I am very impressed. (I hated Barbie as a kid!) Overall, this is a wonderful version of the Nutcracker. All of the characters work together to solve problems, the animation is amazing and the music, of course is timeless. There is also a bonus track about girls/women who are professional ballerinas. My 3 1/2 year old daughter loves to watch this part of the DVD over and over again. However, she finds the Mouse King a little too real and the Rock Giant terrifies her. My 2-year old son loves the whole thing and likes to stomp around the house like the Rock Giant. All kids are different, so you should make sure you watch this movie and evaluate it for your children before you let them watch it. (Of course, you should do that for any movie!!)
P.S. Tim Curry plays the voice of the Mouse King!!
on November 23, 2001
Since my daughter, age 7, is taking ballet, I was excited to have two things she likes combined (Barbie & ballet). Unfortunately, the plot and characters of The Nutcracker ballet have been changed dramatically and the dancing limited to the final scene. The video's plot is the nutcracker's battle to find the sugar plum princess and regain his true identity. I particularly found the added "rock giant" character distasteful. On the plus side; the animated dancing in the final scene is quite good and the music by Tchaikovsky is used consistently throughout the movie. The movie has a positive message though it is heavy handed. If you are looking for the classic ballet dancing or story you will not find it here.
on October 24, 2001
Surely this one will become a classic, never to replace the timeless Nutcracker but to bring it into a new generation. Who would have believed Barbie would be the one to do it! This movie cannot be age specific, because it will mesmorize all ages
(even most dads and grandpas)
My five year old granddaughter, Miss TORI-nado, who can't sit still for 30 seconds or stay awake when she does for 2 minutes, sat as still as a mouse, wide awake, enthralled (of course when it was over she showed me how to dance like a ballerina). Dare I say that at almost 50 years old neither could I take my eyes off this new twist on a timeless classic (and I wanted to dance with her when it was over!)
Although it has it's small gliches, such as mouthes not moving in line with words and other small noticable details. You can definitely overlook them once you are transformed into the Nutcraker's world.
This movie carries the story line from start to finish. Not one part leaves you hanging, hoping for a definite conclusion. It follows from start to finish fulfilling every dream (young or old.)
The dancing in this film is superb, flawless movements and timing with the music.
A must see for "kids" of all ages. (six stars if I could)
on October 11, 2001
I must admit, I did a little eye-rolling when I saw that Barbie had joined the legions of blond-haired, blue-eyes ingénues pursuing an acting career. I guess I should have taken into consideration that, though in terrific shape, she IS a 42 year-old woman, which means that class, style, confidence, taste and a healthy respect for culture have become part of her repertoire.This movie is magical in its entirety. It combines the classicism of a world-renowned fairy tale with the visual splendor of CGI animation, the talent of the world's finest dancers and choreographers, and the timeless beauty of Tchaikovsky's magnificent score. And, there is a tag at the end of the video directing viewers to Barbie.com, which I am pleased to report is as safe, fun, pretty and inspiring as the movie itself. I had no idea Barbie had come such a long way.You go, girl!
on October 12, 2001
Our daughter loves this movie! She loves the story and seeing the Barbie characters in the movie and I like the movie because it is a nice, gentle story. I also liked the animation-it is very lifelike.
on April 4, 2005
Some people expect a 40 million dollar production from the Barbie movies! These are "low" budgeted movies for little girls not 3 year productions like snow white.

The background graphics are good not great. The foreground graphics and the dancing is where they spend their money! The overall graphics are good enough for the age group. I did not hear my two daughters complained about the graphics! They love this movie the music and the ballet dancing. I am sure it got my 2 year old interested in Ballet. Yes, it is a little violent, (in a benign way), but so are most fairy tales. (You should read some of the original stories that Disney used to make their movies out of.) The writers of this movie did a great job of putting the heroes in jeopardy and to get them to be brave, the moral of the story. Which is another point, virtually every Barbie movie if not all, has a moral to the stories; Disney's most popular movies do not!

The dancing of the snow and flower fairies was fantastic, very realistic. Ballet looks so natural being done by flying fairies! We have the DVD which was has bonus of a look at ABT and interviews and following around a few selected ballet students.

I am a Nutcracker Ballet fan since a kid and Tchaikovsky is my favorite composer and the nutcracker suite it my favorite classical piece. I like this movie as well. The original story by E.T.A. Hoffmann was not written for children but more about them and the Nutcracker Ballet that we are most familiar with is nothing like it, (thank goodness), some people need to do some research before doing reviews.

I might add Ballet Companies have done two versions of the Ballet, one with a Sugar plum fairy with Clara and the prince siting through the ballet and another version without a Sugar Plum Fairies where Clara does the Sugar Plum Fairies dances with the prince. They both have their strong aspects. The writers of this movie were very imaginative creating a story that brought Clara as a "main" character and heroine, without making it too long or complicated for little children and adding a little mystery for those of us that have seen the ballet a "few" times.

This is a great movie for the little ones at a good price, (most DVD's are $20). I have been very surprised with the quality of the Barbie movies, "The princess and the Pauper" was the best, I like musicals, see my review. They could have been a lot worse like the cheap anime animation.

If you wanted to see the Nutcracker Ballet then rent a DVD of a Ballet company production, there are plenty in both versions. This is not the Nutcracker ballet!
on October 29, 2001
I bought this video for my 5-year old daughter. She has been to stage performances of the Nutcracker and is currently taking ballet. This is one video that she plays over and over. The animation is wonderful and she especially loves the fairies.