Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on September 20, 2007
I once heard a definition of integrity as something you are when nobody's watching. I also once heard someone comment that there must be no honor among filmmakers because apparently nobody in a high-budget production cared that the movie made was terrible. Well, I have to say, this movie is yet another shining example of the Barbie movies' integrity.

They could get away with SO much--they don't NEED to put a plot or characters or even any kind of acting into this, honestly. BUT THEY DO. The reason I pick this movie out of the crop is that (a) it was just released, and (b) it's a great example of the integrity that is so lost among high-end studio productions these days. Why? Think--what movie is similar to this? Can you think of any parallels? Especially in the Disney array? It's a movie with striking similarities to the Little Mermaid.

BUT, instead of making the heroine a selfish brat and saving it with appealing sidekicks and great music, the characters themselves are likable (or hate-able) and they DON'T have to make the person trying to marry the prince a creepy person either. It's so great! The music, as in the Princess and the Pauper, is shockingly good; the animation and visuals just keep getting better and better; and the storytelling and character development are far above the par of the so-called "best" of Hollywood today.

If you have already started collecting the Barbie movies, get this one too. If not, start right now! Little girls and you(!) will ACTUALLY enjoy them together. This is a worthwhile movie to see, as are the other Barbie movies. Even the weakest of them (story-wise) is morally strong and is better quality than most Hollywood fare these days.

Enjoy this film integrity!
11 comment| 76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2007
I told people that if I ever had a daughter, I would NEVER buy her anything Barbie. But here I am, with 3 girls later, and I have bought them almost every Barbie movie on the market! This is by far the best Barbie movie, IMHO. My girls (ages 2 & 4) love the songs and the animals. The movie is also very brightly colored. Ever since I bought the movie for them, they've been watching it constantly. I try not to analyze the Barbie movies too much though. Otherwise I would be focusing in on Azul, the "happy" peacock, if you know what I mean... Barbie movie-makers always seem to throw in some unique characters. Embarrasingly enough, I cried at the end of the movie! I'm looking forward to the Mariposa movie next!
on September 26, 2007
I love all the Barbie movies, but this has to be my favorite! It has a lot of similar aspects to some of my favorite Disney (and non-Disney) animated movies, which I loved. The story flows well and the characters are endearing. The animation is, in my opinion, the best in the series; the colors are more vibrant, which makes it less jarringly CG, and I love the character designs (such as Ro's braid and Prince Antonio's face, which was different than all the other "Kens").

What really makes this movie a winner, though, is the soundtrack. Just TRY and tell me that those songs don't get stuck in your head. I've been listening to them OVER and OVER. The best song in the movie by far is "I Need to Know." The duet between Alessandro Juliani (Antonio) and Melissa Lyons (Ro) is absolutely GORGEOUS. Their harmony is amazing, I got goosebumps! The other songs are good too, I can't get "The Rat Song" out of my head.

These movies are good for people who like visually pleasing stories that don't make you think too hard. Call it predictable, but it's nice when you can count on everyone living happily ever after. While deep, dark, thought-provoking movies serve their purpose, when you're stressed out or just want to relax, sometimes you just need a good cartoon. That's what Disney movies USED to be about, and the Barbie movies have taken over in their stead. This movie has excellent values in it, such as respect for animals, the value of caring for others, and the importance of sharing (the lyrics to the song "Always More" are really good for this), and following your heart. I would definitely show this movie to little girls, as it's movies like this that provide wholesome entertainment with good values to children, while being entertaining to adults as well.

I encourage you to try this movie out before you make up your mind that it's "silly" or "kids stuff."
on March 27, 2011
It is a very cute movie and my 4 year old daughter watches it over and over again. I has very cute songs that she already learned. I recommend it!
on December 27, 2011
My 4 year old daughter doesn't care as long as it is Barbie. However, she has only watched this one a couple of times. Not her favorite. 12 Dancing Princesses and the New Charm School movies are her favorites. Diamond Castle gets watched a lot as well. However, for me personally, it is no different than the others. Maybe a little more boring or unimaginative but not significantly. Worth no more than $5.
on September 19, 2007
Okay, I will admit up front that my five-year-old daughter and I have only watched this DVD once, and sometimes movies grow on you the more you watch them. But our initial reaction is one of disappointment. I thought the songs were very forgettable and the main characters weren't very interesting (Prince Antonio, in particular, is pretty bland and the villaness is not as colorful as in past Barbie movies.) My daughter had been so excited about finally getting to see Island Princess, especially since it is a musical, but she wandered away several times while it was on (something she doesn't do while watching Princess and the Pauper or Swan Lake, her two favorite Barbie movies.) I have a feeling Island Princess is not going to join the list of her most-requested DVDs.
on March 11, 2012
I gave this movie to my daughter yesterday, she loves it, and didn't want to turn it off, as soon as she got up this morning, she started watching it from the beginning again today.
She has a Barbie Island Princess book, has read it many, many times, she loved the little hair piece that came in the book, she fell asleep wearing it last night after watching the movie.
With so much junk out there now that is aimed at kids, and family, as family entertainment, it's nice to be able to know that the Barbie movies are going to be safe for everyone, they might be a little cheesy for adults, but the content is always reliable for safe viewing, and always has a positive message in them, never anything I question, or have to regret letting her see.
As long as my daughter is entertained by Barbie, I will keep buying the Barbie movies.
on October 31, 2007
We bought Barbie Island Princess this afternoon. My daughter is watching it now for the 2nd time. The music is very good - lovely melodies and great harmonies. I agree with the other reviewer saying that it is a breath of fresh air to have morally good characters, no bad language and great lessons learned. We love the Barbie movies and I was pleased with this one as well. I disagree with the reviewer that said it was not one of the best Barbie movies - my daughter is saying it is the best so far. Lovely story - I recommend to your daughters who love their Barbies and those older and younger as well. I enjoyed it as well and I love the music.
on June 12, 2015
One of my favorites of all the Barbie movies. Great songs, lovely story. As many of the Barbie movies do, it suffers from a lack of diversity, but it does have positive messages about being true to yourself and the dangers of classism/prejudices. I love that the two "rivals" aren't really rivals at all and actually respect each other and treat each other with kindness.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon February 8, 2015
Our little girl loves Barbie movies and this one was no exception. I like the fact that the movies are clean and very well told. I don't have to worry when the kids are watching Barbies. That is a nice feeling. I don't pretend to truly enjoy Barbie movies but I can sit through them with the kids because they make them so happy. Good, clean entertainment.