5.0 out of 5 stars Did you just get back from Hawaii??
It's true what they say about this product. I was doubtful, except that my sister-in-law (who's also my close friend and has been through every self-tanning product with me over the years and knows her stuff) said she was getting wows from everyone regarding the natural look of her tan. On her recommendation alone, I ordered the big bottle and am so glad I did...
Published on July 16, 2011 by rearview1

3.0 out of 5 stars it was just ok
It went on pretty smooth, looked pretty natural, but did rub off on my clothes. I was going to give it a two, but changed it to a three.
Published on September 7, 2010 by Kona

5.0 out of 5 stars Did you just get back from Hawaii??, July 16, 2011
This review is from: Bare Escentuals Faux Tan Sunless Tanner 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
It's true what they say about this product. I was doubtful, except that my sister-in-law (who's also my close friend and has been through every self-tanning product with me over the years and knows her stuff) said she was getting wows from everyone regarding the natural look of her tan. On her recommendation alone, I ordered the big bottle and am so glad I did!

I did not buy the brush - couldn't afford it, but thought if it is so much better than other self-tanning lotions, I should be able to do it without a brush, like I did the others. (BE will not like me for saying that, but to be fair, my sister-in-law and everyone else raves about the brush!!) Instead I used those thin throw-away latex gloves and they worked beautifully.

Okay, so I started with clean exfoliated skin and shaved legs. Btw - if you want to do this right, exfoliate for 3-5 days straight before you self tan.

I did not put on moisturizer all over. The bottle stresses elbows and knees only, so that's what I did. I also moisturized my feet and hands (front & backs before putting on the gloves) because they sport your dryest skin. Dry skin is an enemy of a smooth and even-colored self-tan. Stand in GOOD lighting, and a full length mirror helps but is not necessary. Oh, because I am older, I also lightly moisturized my neck. (note: I did not 'Faux Tan' my face because I prefer to not use self-tanner on my face).

Method: I applied a SMALL pump worth of Faux Tan on my hand and started on a foot (tops only and leave the last half of each toe alone (there is obviously rougher skin there which will soak up the tan gel, and you do not want color in your cuticles and toenail crevices). Then I did one "pump" onto my hands and rubbed on one leg (from knee down) as I would moisturizer. I continued on that leg, covering knee and thigh, front and back, paying attention to even distribution of color. If you want to, wear old underwear (you don't mind discoloring) and stop applying where it starts. You'll get an authentic tan line.

Next I did my left arm from wrist up, front and back and continuing past elbow to upper arm. Then in one smooth "sweep": left shoulder, left part of chest, neck (only the part that's exposed and would get sun naturally!) right part of chest and right shoulder. Then start at right wrist up until you get to shoulder. Last is midriff - which is very easy. (I could even do the lower back on my own. But I needed help for one part only: had to call hubby in for the upper back.

The bottle says to wait at least an hour before water contact. I did - and, because I do this in the late morning or afternoon, I can shower just about any time before bed. (I would not have the "raw" Faux Tan on my body before wearing clothing or touching bed sheets! It will stain). Showering is smart. The "color guide" is all that comes off, and you will see it going down the drain - but it is not your tan - if you've followed directions. (I think if you moisturize all over first, as some do for instance, you may be asking for trouble in these area: color coming off with successive showers and color on clothing and bedding.

Okay, I recommend this product highly because I think they have really excelled with Faux Tan. I have used it twice now and have had a stunning tan for two weeks, the likes of which I haven't had since I was a kid and could play on the beach all day. This makes you feel like you have -- like you are sun-kissed!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, May 4, 2010
I would just like to let all the women out there know that this sunless tanner is by far the best. I've used it for two years straight and everyone thinks I go to the tanning bed. Its a great and safe way to keep your tan all year long.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Self-Tanner, August 1, 2010
This products works well as a sunless tanner. I do use more frequently because I want to stay the same level of color. This is the best one I have used. I have been going to tanning beds for years and this year I decided I did not want use tanning beds any longer. No one can tell the difference in my tan this year. I would recommend this product highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!!, June 2, 2011
I have to admit, I was skeptical about spending so much money on a fake tan, when everything else (and I mean EVERYTHING) has turned me orange, streaked, or left those "I just fake-tanned!" marks on my knees and ankles.

I actually bought the large bottle with the blending brush from the QVC website with my fingers crossed, and was blown away by how well it worked! Here's what I love about this product:

1) The buffing brush leaves no streaks and no marks on your hands. Also it makes the entire process quick, easy, and very neat.
2) The lotion goes on visibly, so it's easy to see any spots you've missed.
3) The color LASTS. I did it the night before leaving for a beach vacation, and after four days of swimming in the ocean, and one very sweaty yoga class, I still had probably 60% of the color left on my skin
4) The color is completely natural - it gave me a beautiful golden glow! (And I'm pale like a vampire.)

My advice would be to do it at night before you go to bed. Make sure you're showered, exfoliated, and shaved. The tan will develop overnight (the only con so far is that I got some slight color transfer onto my sheets) and in the morning, you can quickly rinse excess product off in the shower before dressing.

I can't imagine going through my enormous bottle quickly - I'll probably be good with a weekly application - but you can be sure I'm going to keep re-ordering as long as BE keeps making this product!

5.0 out of 5 stars a MUST HAVE year-round, May 27, 2011
I have been using this product since it first came out and cannot live without it! I am light skinned and try as I might, cannot get a tan. This product gives me a natural looking tan and does not look orange at all! I have become an expert at putting it on... I never use the gloves and always apply with my hands. To avoid staining your palms do a body part at a time then wash your hands with soap, dry them, then proceed with the next body part (ex. do an arm, wash hands, do the other arm). I typically will apply twice if I have not used the product in a while and I need to achieve a darker "tanned" look the following day. I apply the product all over and then wait an hour - two hours before applying a second coat. Application needs to take place 8hrs before showering. Best suggestion is 2-3 hours before you go to bed to let it soak in for the night. This product really is amazing and I would give it ten stars if I could. If you are even slightly on the fence about purchasing it, don't be, it is well worth it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tantastic!, July 20, 2012
I am back for the large bottle, after buying the smaller one with the application brush about a month ago. I am very fair and freckled and have tried every self-tanner out there and this is by far the best available. Lisa Robertson on QVC convinced me to try it, although I purchased here, after watching her presentation where she was literally on her knees preaching the wonders of this, she was pretty funny she was so desperate to convince the viewers (so thanks Lisa)!

It does not turn you orange, it smells of Almonds when you apply it and after a shower there is no smell. It is super easy to apply with the brush and you can see where you have missed easily. The color transfer is nil after a shower, although be prepared to think you're washing your tan off (you're not) and a little but not bad before a shower. You have instant color as soon as you apply it and then within 4 hours the full color develops. I use it on my face which is also fair and freckled and it also looks totally natural. I have had quite a few compliments on my tan from other women which is always a good sign you're not overdone or orange!

The color really lasts well and I think I will be able to maintain a great tan with a weekly application and maybe an extra one for special occasions when I want to be darker. It also fades away perfectly without any funny patches etc. Sure it's pricey but you get what you pay for and this is the best, no doubt!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want milk chocolate color, not Cheetos!, February 22, 2013
I am a self-tanner junkie. I have tried just about every kind you could think of, including attempts to make my own! I was a huge Fake Bake Flawless lover, but came across a great review for Faux Tan. I read a few more good reviews and jumped head first into it. I bought the big bottle of it and the brush, which I had to buy seperately but is a very crucial part of it! Pretty spendy impulse buy, but I am here to tell you...it was INCREDIBLY worth the money. I guess I got lucky lol.

Shipping was fast, and when the package came I opened it and immediately wanted to try it. I hadn't showered (so obviously my skin wasnt exfoliated) yet that day but I went ahead and applied it anyway, thinking if it turned streaky or looked bad I would just scrub it off in the shower later. Applying it was really easy with the brush, like ridiculously easy! No more pale hands and orange palms either from having to use hands to put it on. It took me literally 10 minutes to do my whole body. The brush gives you perfect coverage, my skin looked airbrushed and it dries fast! The smell is great, like a very light cherry almond. The color pay off was immediate. The base color is a greenish brown, and gives the best TAN *BROWN* I have ever,ever seen from a self tanner. I can not say it enough, the tan color is insanely beautiful, healthy, real looking, TAN. no streaks, patches, or weird orange tones...in any light. I could see this being great on any skin type, even if you are pale, its just a very natural tone. I let the color develop over night, and when I woke up the color was even more amazing. They are not joking the tan really is better than what you would get from the sun! I showered and was nervous, I could see a lot of color coming off. I thought oh well, I'll just re-apply. When I got out of the shower and dried off, I was so amazed the deepness of the tan was actually still there! I am loving the fact I don't have to be a slave to it, I don't have to keep re-applying it every day to maintain it....it maintains itself very well, and you dont need to moisturize it like crazy. I'd say you'd only need to apply it once,maybe twice a week at most. And when you're nearing the day that you need to re-apply, you don't look scaly and dry and patchy like I've found with other products. I never noticed a self tanner smell with it, even in the morning it still had a light almond scent. It didnt rub off on my sheets overnight either! I will seriously never use any other self tanner, or tanning bed, ever again! I literally can't find anything wrong with this product!! SO worth the money!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm in love!!, June 17, 2012
Finally a self tanner that looks natural! I am really pale and burn in the sun and have tried every self tanner out there. I found this one a couple months ago and loooovvve it! It looks very natural and when it fades it fades evenly. I did not buy the body brush but have just been using latex gloves when putting it on and that seems to work well. It has a nice cherry almond scent while applying but be warned that it does turn into a self tanner scent after a while (but goes away as soon as you shower). Also, a little bit goes a long way and the solution is tinted so you can see exactly where you are applying it.

3.0 out of 5 stars it was just ok, September 7, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best self tanner I have ever used, October 28, 2013
I'm Irish and have pale skin. This tanner is perfect. I put it on a night (use the brush - if it doesn't come with the order, you should buy one) and in the morning, take a shower and wash it off. If you apply to your feet and hands, make sure you use a washcloth and wipe them down making sure to get in between your fingers and toes - they can leave dark spots.

This gives the perfect tan. I buy this ALL the time. I was foolish in my 20's and went tanning in the beds for years - yes, eventually I developed melanoma. So I've shopped around quite a bit for a good self tanner that doesn't make you look orange. I usually buy it on QVC though - they have specials a couple times a year and you'll save a bit of money, but if I ever run out, I'll buy it on here.

I definitely recommend this!

Bare Escentuals Faux Tan Sunless Tanner 16 oz