5.0 out of 5 stars Ina at Her Best
I own all of Ina Garten's cookbooks. I am amazed by how simple she makes cooking seem and every year around Thanksgiving, I start sorting through her recipes and planning my Thanksgiving menu. She delivers top notch results without much fuss, and I think she is probably my favorite long time Food Network personality.

Foolproof is a cookbook that seems to...
Published 22 months ago by bakerbronte

2.0 out of 5 stars Foolproof is anything but foolproof
I was so excited to get this cookbook! I have Barefoot Contessa Back to Basics and it is wonderful. I've also used some recipes from her other cookbooks and have never been disappointed. So far I have made six recipes from Foolproof. The Endive, Orange and Roquefort Salad was pretty good but I felt the dressing was a little bland. The Mustard Marinated Flank Steak...
Published 21 months ago by love to shop

‹ Previous | 1 2 366 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Ina needs no defense, November 5, 2012
Kindle Customer (IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust (Hardcover)
I have been a fan of this particular author for many years. I think her reputation and talent speaks for itself. Her charm and joie d'vivre are evident. But that being said, I have to somewhat agree with those that said this particular book isn't in the same game as her other work. I am not a fish eater due to allergies. So much emphasis on a product I can't consumme renders a good chunk of the book useless to me. I got the book as a gift -- otherwise, I might have considered a return. An author cannot be everything to everyone all the time, and the consumer goes into a purchase subliminally understanding that. Because the book doesn't fit my life, doesn't make it bad. There is another aspect of this book that grabs my attention.

Ina's last cookbook also left me with the feeling that we are serving up a slice of "been there, done that" along with the easy theme. Maybe there comes a time where a author needs to re-evaluate, maybe as we grow in age and wisdom, we all need to do that. It's not that I think she has lost her touch, I rather think she might have lost interest. Perhaps there is something to be said for "going out while you are on top." When you find yourself melting someone else's caramels to top your old brownie recipe, it isn't inspiration. If that's a recipe you are asking someone to trust, maybe trust isn't what's needed. Maybe a good hard look at the whole process is.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cookbook on Kindle, November 24, 2012
I have wanted to try a cook book on my Kindle for some time and it is great. Technically the pictures are bright and beautiful. The photographs in this book are artfully done I have enjoyed them blown up large on the computer version of Kindle making this cookbook a good one to download. All the recipes I have tried of Ina Garten's have always worked extremely well and this cookbook has continued my success.

5.0 out of 5 stars So accessible,so right, November 3, 2012
Hi-I was thrilled to get my copy of Foolproof from Amazon. Like all of Ina's previous books,this one is approachable,non-intimidating and,more to the point(at least for me) puts the cook at ease in the kitchen. So many of these recipes call out "make me now"...like the marinated artichoke hearts( easy with jarred artichoke hearts),the fabulous looking Italian seafood salad,Israeli couscous(Mmmmm),the flank steak,the incredible sounding jambalaya,fennel gratin...and what makes me run into the kitchen to try,the german chocolate cupcakes and that sinful maple pecan pie. Wow! So,who wouldn't want these dishes,and more, on their dinner table? Another prize for Ina. Brava!

2.0 out of 5 stars disappointed, December 14, 2012
Most of the recipes appear in her other books. I bought 2 giving one as a gift and was sorry I didn't read through it before giving to a friend

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good!, November 10, 2012
I have tried the meatloaf and the penne pasta dish and both were fantastic. You can't go wrong with Ina. Great cookbook, and so glad I purchased it. I will use these great recipes over and over. They are truly Foolproof!

4.0 out of 5 stars Just love Ina garten!!, December 4, 2012
The recipes almost always come out great the first time! I don't find that with other authors... Have all her cook books and will continue to enjoy her love of food and friends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh my goodness!, November 30, 2012
J. Murphy (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
Oh my goodness! Where have I been? I just recently found Ina on the Food Network and saw that she had a new book. Ordered the book and thought I might find a few recipes that I would be interested in preparing. However, once I received the book and started marking recipes that appealed to me, I realized I was tagging almost every page. I have now begun to make notes in conjunction with her show and realized there are simple, easy, and fast recipes that I can quickly prepare that satisfies both me and my family. My husband's birthday is this weekend and the book inspired me to create a menu that is "Foolproof." The menu consists of Crab Strudels, parmesan crisps for appetizers; Mustard-marinated flank steak served with roasted vegetables, garlic shrimp and mustard & gruyere batons (simply thaw puff pastry, brush with dijon mustard and egg, fold, chill for 15 min, brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle with Gruyere, Parmesan cheese, and dash of salt, chill 15 min or until ready to bake at 400 for 15 min) so simple but looks like it was so much effort. Definitely a must in your kitchen collection. Ina has a calming presence in the kitchen and watching her show makes you realize that with a little planning you can prepare delicious meals any time.

3.0 out of 5 stars SO-SO, March 20, 2013
I have 5 out of the 8 Barefoot Contessa cookbooks and I think this is my least favorite. Although the recipes are in her way "foolproof", I don't find many of them appealing or interesting. This could be just because I am not a huge lover of some of the ingredients she uses in this book,i.e. veal, lamb, parsnips, spinach, kale, prunes, rhubarb and in particular fennel. Not sure why that is so popular but then I do not like licorice. I do love Ina Garten and her approach to food . . . simple and easy and tasty.
Her cookbooks including this one are well written and executed and the pictures are divine. It just isn't my favorite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Winner from Ina Garten, May 7, 2013
Once again, Ina has come out with a not-to-be missed cookbook. The recipes are, indeed, foolproof.

"Foolproof means so many,things to me. Clearly, it means that the recipe works-that goes without saying. But there's more to it than that. It's a dish that's deeply satisfying to eat; it's a company-friendly meal that can ne made in advance to reduce your stress; and it's an putrageously delicious dessert that's so easy to make that it becomes part of your regular repertoire. I want these all to be the recipes that you love so much that you make them over and over again because *that's* when a recipe becomes truly foolproof: when you feel that you can almost make it with your eyes closed." EDIT: to be sure this paragraph is recognized as a quote from the book.

She begins with some general cooking tips and then moves into cocktails. Don't miss the Caramelized Bacon nor the Parmesan Crisps (we've probably all made them, but she gives 'em a new -to me- twist.)

In the section on Starters, her Gazpacho with Goat Cheese Croutons is a winner, using canned Marzano tomatoes. I've always loved mussels, made the traditional French way. We have them at least once a month. I was dubious about her Mussels with Saffron Mayonnaise, but decided to try it, but making my own mayonnaise. Delightful! It will be hard to decide which method to use in the future. The Marinated Artichoke Hearts (Artichaut Barigoule) are fabulous. She adds sun-dried tomatoes, carrots, olives, and more.

For Lunch, there's nothing that can touch the Lobster and Potato Salad. Ina says, "The name Barefoot Contessa is about the juxtaposition of elegant and earthy." Perfect! We also enjoyed the Balsamic Roasted Beet Salad; and the recipe for easy Hollandaise is, in fact, easy, and will actually hold for a while!

So many good choices for Dinner. Mustard-Marinated Flank Steak; Amelia's Jambalaya; Straw and Hay with Gorgonzola...I could go on and on. Everything I've tried has been fantastic, not just good.

Vegetables. Sides are always difficult, at least for me. She has given us so many interesting choices here that I feel I can serve up sparkling menus time after time. A few faves: Crispy Roasted Kale (so simple, and I also serve this as hors d'oeuvres); crispy English Potatoes; brown Rice and Wheatberries; and Balsamic Toasted Brussels Sprouts.

Desserts are usually a puzzlement for me. We're not big on desserts, and I look for very light, small, simple things. But her Orange French Lace Cookies, and the traditonal Prunes in Armagnac fill the bill nicely.

Then come sections on Foolproof Table Settings (she does this so well) and Foolproof Menus (perhaps my favorite part of the book.). The menus' dishes either link to recipes in this book, or refer to which of her other books contains them. Very useful.

Finally, Sources...because she gives us her favorite brand name ingredients, it's nice to know where to get them.

Once again, Ina Garten, dare I call her today's Perlel Mesta?, has given us a "complete" book on a culinary/entertaining focus. This book will serve anyone, barest beginner (no cookbook should be without intructions for making chicken stock, and this one has it!) to the most accomplished home cook.

Edited on 15 May by OP, mostly to correct a multitude of typos! Sheesh!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recipes Anyone Can Make, April 26, 2013
I've been a fan of Ina Garten for years, and I love the transition from fancy and festive to practical and simplified. Her back-to-basics philosophy has made her delicious recipes accessible to cooks at all skill levels, and this book is filled with wonderful examples. Ina's books are always so well done with beautiful pictures and insightful anecdotes. This is not a cookbook for the shelf - this one should be front and center in the kitchen!

‹ Previous | 1 2 366 | Next ›

Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust by Ina Garten (Hardcover - October 30, 2012)
$35.00 $19.65