5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, even for beginners.
Published on April 21, 2010 by R.E.W.

3.0 out of 5 stars "Book" might be a misnomer
While I think that there are some good tips in the book on how exactly to get started barefoot running, at 61 pages, it's more of a pamphlet than a book. The price is a bit high for what you're getting.
Published on September 14, 2010 by K. Beck

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars "Book" might be a misnomer, September 14, 2010
K. Beck (Annapolis, MD) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Barefoot Running Book First Edition: A Practical Guide to the Art and Science of Barefoot and Minimalist Shoe Running (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to understand, even for beginners., April 21, 2010
I am a new runner. I've never run in a race, or run a continuous mile even. However, when I wanted to start running, I learned about barefoot running. I researched it some more and discovered it was really the route I wanted to take. I was disappointed though, that there were no books on HOW to actually learn (or maybe there are, and I just didn't find them). Yes, there are websites and forums, but the information I found was scattered all over the internet. Then this book came out. I had already been reading on Jason's website and blog, but this had everything contained in one easy-to-understand book, even for a beginner like me. It's an easy read and I appreciated the humor scattered throughout it. Although I had been attempting barefoot running prior to reading the book, I did not achieve "proper form" until I read it and implemented some of the techniques. Now I am just working on building endurance!

I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in barefoot running...either exclusively or part-time.

Now that I am running more regularly, and my feet are stronger...I LOVE running! And believe me, I NEVER thought I'd ever say that!

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent barefoot running guide, June 13, 2010
This book is very short, but easy to read. It gives strengthening exercises, running techniques, training schedules, etc. However, I believe most of the information in this book could have been learned by trial and error of running. There is no profound information in this book. It was an easy read and gave some good tips however. It's worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The operator's handbook to my Vibram 5 Fingers, December 1, 2011
I bought this little book July 2010, found the couple pages that prepared me for barefoot running in a simple, easy-to-follow sequence of exercises. The light bulb turned on in my brain in a few minutes and I've been running ever since. When my husband got his first pair of Vibram KSOs, he ran like a duck. He didn't want to hear how to run from me. I showed him the pages in this book and he was suddenly running like a gazelle. I'm back to buy another copy for a friend who has the Vibram 5 Finger running shoes with no idea how to use them.

4.0 out of 5 stars A new movement is growing, August 24, 2011
Daniel Estes (Kansas City, USA) - See all my reviews
When my good friend of many years recently told me about his new passion of barefoot running, to say I was skeptical would be an understatement. The whole notion seemed utterly fringe and ridiculous. Still, he recommended I read two books before making up my mind, Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and this one, The Barefoot Running Book by Jason Robilliard. Okay, I'm convinced. The idea of un-protecting my foot in order to strengthen it and prevent future injury sounds counter-intuitive. Nevertheless, the science is slowly backing up this claim. The barefoot and minimalist running movement is part rebellion against profit-seeking shoe companies, part searching for why running injuries have increased exponentially in the past 50 years, and part exploration of a different kind of natural approach to running. A simple primer argument is this: Children are encouraged to spend lots of time barefoot in order to build up their foot posture and muscles so why is the same practice discouraged once we get older? I'm a new convert to the practice so I reserve the right to change my mind down the road. So far my experiences have been exhilarating! There is an emotional connectivity to the ground that surprised me, like I used to be asleep while running.

The book itself is very good, offering numerous tips on getting started and all the while the author constantly (and rightly) reminds you to take it slow. The how-to subject matter can easily be condensed down to half the size or more since a lot of progress in barefoot running is self-discovery, but the extra anecdotes don't diminish the book at all. His trail journal of the Hallucination 100 is an especially good coda for the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for beginner barefoot runner, March 30, 2014
I like this book because it does not have long academic chapters on anatomy. It contains the essential information for beginnig bare foot running. The writer has many experience of it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Learn Much, June 12, 2013
I had adopted minimalist running several years ago, and learned through a lot of trial and error. I was hoping to fill in some gaps, especially around form. This is more for the beginner who isn't sure they want to do barefoot/minimalist, with testimonials about barefoot running and information about terminology. The formatting is cheap and jolting, the organization a bit scattershot. An okay book, but you'd do better with a few hours spent on the internet.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's ok, nothing great., April 10, 2013
Blashy (Québec, Canada) - See all my reviews
Nothing really to learn from this book that you cannot find online so I say if you want to save, forgoe it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ken Bob is more fun, June 21, 2012
I've been reading a lot about barefoot running lately. This one, stripped to what is really essential in it, would become a booklet. But if you want guidelines to start barefoot running, and is looking for something not so bulky as Ken Bob's manual, go for it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful, June 18, 2012
Psaicho (WARNER ROBINS, GA, US) - See all my reviews
Very Helpful regardless of your skill level. Jason is an inspiration to anyone who ever wanted to run barefoot or not.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›