Published on August 5, 2006 by Authentic Opinion Only, Please

3.0 out of 5 stars Bariani Olive Oil - Is it worth it?
Published on October 5, 2011 by B. Friesen

5.0 out of 5 stars It's so good, I don't even want to tell you because I'm afraid the price will go up (law of supply and demand), August 5, 2006
I'm making myself tell what I would prefer to keep secret: Truly this is the best-quality,genuine article,cold-pressed (in small quantities)olive oil, made right here in the U.S.A. (California). People (including, in the past, myself)don't actually understand that even the olive oils imported from Italy now are sub-standard. Bariani, by contrast, is the nearest to what was consumed by the Greeks and Romans of long ago: simply cold-pressed in small batches, no heat is used, no other oils are used, no other additives are used.

I'm not a gourmet, instead I am a fat 51-year-old that tends to veer towards the boxed hamburger meals when desperate! This is not "snooty gourmets" liking their incidental odd-tasting items, Bariani Olive Oil is truly and simply a great product and I agree with all the other reviewers: EXCELLENT.

By the way, I do know the first clue that you are not buying a true olive oil is when the container is clear: true olive oil cannot be exposed to direct sunlight. Bariani uses a proper, imported, dark-green bottle for their very special product.

Even Olive Oil can get complicated: the majority of olive oils, imported and domestic, are heated, not 100% olive oil and taste terrible after tasting Bariani.

I also buy through the company website and by phone and these people are so kind and upstanding -- it's family owned and they intend to keep it that way.

The only concern I have is the day will come when Bariani may have to increase their prices due to the law of supply and demand...and I would still buy it!

YES IT IS AS GOOD AS EVERYONE IS SAYING IN THEIR REVIEWS.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Great Olive Oil Scandal and why you should use Bariani, October 17, 2007
The problem with most of today's olive oil is that it is rarely produced in the old way, which is more time consuming and expensive. Due to the increasing demand for olive oil, the trend has been to reduce production costs by moving toward more automation and concentration of production in ever larger installations. These modem factories extract more oil more cheaply, but their processing methods substantially reduce the nutritional quality of the oil.

To reduce costs, olives are machine harvested along with leaves and twigs. Olives that have dropped on the ground, which can be said to contain bad oil, are often mixed with the good ones. They are shipped in all kinds of containers, many of which are poorly ventilated, and heaped in large piles where the olives are stored for too long and often become moldy. The oil is then extracted in a continuous centrifuge where hot water is used to help separate out the oil.

Antioxidant polyphenols are soluble in water and are washed away in this process, thereby lowering the shelf life and the nutritional quality of the oil. Italy alone produces 800,000 cubic meters of waste water per year from this process. Because substantial amounts of antioxidants are washed away, factory produced olive oils have a short shelf life of only months, whereas real olive oil lasts for two to three years.

Most people think that by purchasing "extra virgin" olive oil they are getting a high quality oil. Unfortunately, in most cases, this is not true. It's more complex than that. A label reading extra virgin is no guarantee of quality. For one thing, nowhere does it say that extra virgin olive oil has to be made 100% from olives.

Lower quality oils can be refined to bring the acidity down so they can be labeled as extra virgin. But now the oil has been refined, and that's not what you want. That's why being labeled extra virgin is no guarantee of getting high quality oil, which has not been processed in ways that reduce its nutritional value. To complicate matters even more, the term "extra virgin" has no official meaning in the United States. The U.S. is not a member of the International Olive Oil Council. So, olive oil sold here can be labeled extra virgin without meeting the accepted international standards.

Another reason why you can't trust extra virgin olive oil is exemplified by a problem that manifested last year, and may turn out to be the biggest food fraud of the 20th Century. Despite the fact that details of this scandal have been published in Merum, a Swiss-German magazine, and in Italian journals such as Agra Trade, and the newspaper Gazzetta del Mezzogiorno, this information has been successfully suppressed and is known to only a handful. Investigators are gathering evidence indicating that the biggest olive oil brands in Italy have for years been systematically diluting their extra virgin olive oil with cheap, highly-refined hazelnut oil imported from Turkey. International arrest warrants have been issued and so far documents indicate that at least ten thousand tons of hazelnut oil are involved. As much as 20% hazelnut oil can be added to olive oil and still be undetectable to the consumer. In fact olive oil labeled "Italian" often comes from Turkey, Tunisia, Morocco, Spain, and Greece. Considering what has happened in Europe, where there are strict regulations, imagine what can happen in California where there are no regulations. Apparently, more oil is "produced" in California than there are olives available. The truth is, most of the extra virgin olive oil on the market does not supply all the nutritional value and health giving properties that we have a right to expect from olive oil.

The bottom line is that modem, factory-produced olive oil has been stripped of its health enhancing nutrients, and the task of selecting a high quality oil has been made very difficult.

Bariani olive oil is produced by the Bariani family on a small farm in the central valley of California. Their olives are grown without pesticides. They are hand picked from the trees, carefully washed and dried, and milled with a stone wheel within 48 hours of harvesting. It is pressed in a hydraulic press, collected in stainless steel vats, decanted, and bottled. This first cold pressed oil is the real stuff and retains all the natural flavor and goodness.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE ABSOLUTE BEST!!!, July 24, 2006
There is NO comparison! This is BEYOND 5 stars! All I can say is that if you are reading this, you MUST try it!!!

It is GREEN & tastes like OLIVES! It is raw, cold pressed-it is the absolute highest quality & the BEST TASTING OLIVE OIL EVER!!! No, I have no connection to the company! :) I originally purchased this oil from Eat Raw a few years ago & have been singing it's praise ever since! I honestly cannot eat another olive oil. I have when I have had no choice & it's just so noticable-anyone near me at the time will be hearing a dissertation on the complete and total superiority of Bariani! One taste & you will never want another olive oil! It's THAT good!!! I just had to tell someone... :) :) :)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best, February 3, 2006
When I learned about "good fats vs bad fats" I went on a quest to find the best olive oil. I wanted one that would be both good for cooking and taste great on it's own. After much research (and buying in local supermarkets) I came upon Bariani's web site. I have been ordering this olive oil now for four years and it is a staple in my home. I couldn't imagine cooking without it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A remakably mixed review, November 20, 2006
This olive oil adds a freshness to every dish that you're bound to notice. It's true what the others are saying, this oil is different than most others. When I first got tasted it strait, was shocked at the resemblence to wheat grass juice and the bitterness that lingers in the back of your throat. Compared to my regular store bought EVOO's heaviness and richness, this one is clean and bright. But my first reaction was to write the seller and find out if my bottle tasted as it should or if I'd gotten a bad bottle. They wrote back saying that the grassy flavor and "peppery notes" (bitterness, in my book) comes from the relatively young olives. I was also impressed by the fact that I got this in Sept and it was bottled as recently as August, probably also responsible for the fresh taste. Getting this olive oil inspired me to try some other brands and I have found a very similar taste without the bitterness in the slightly less exensive Trader Joe's Australian variety of EVOO. Both are great when used in fresh dishes and shine best when they aren't cooked. My biggest question is, why aren't people reviewing more EVOO products on Amazon. The fact that this one is the only one who's following sings it's praises here should tell you that it's worth trying.

4.0 out of 5 stars For those concerned about bitterness..., July 11, 2011
H. Kwon (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
I noticed that a number of reviewers commented on the "bitterness" of the Bariani extra virgin olive oil. I tried out both their 2010 "early harvest" (green) olive oil and their regular fall 2010 olive oil. I found their green olive oil to have a stronger, grassy (they mention the high chlorophyll content, which you do get!) flavor, with a distinct bitter edge and peppery finish. This would be great for someone who gravitates toward a greener, bolder flavor and perhaps a more adventurous experience. I found it too bitter for my pestos though it worked just fine with roasted chicken, and I think would be great for dipping bread. Their regular extra virgin olive oil has a faint bitter, peppery finish, but overall a more neutral flavor -- good all around olive oil and a safer bet for those who are sensitive to bitter or stronger flavors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Highest quality olive oil you will find..., August 3, 2007
From gourmet chefs to raw vegans alike, this olive oil is the choice for anyone who simply wants the best. We don't carry it in my city, and I gladly special order it online because it's just that pure and great tasting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bariani Olive Oil - Is it worth it?, October 5, 2011
B. Friesen (North Dakota USA) - See all my reviews
Generally I buy olive oil in large 2 liter containers because we use in for cooking, baking and just about anything that asks for lard or butter. We feel using olive oil is a far healthier and tastier souce of oil to use than the latter. However, when I started researching more and hearing stories of outdated olive oil and needing to have it in a dark container I became worried about where I get my olive Oil... Generally at Sams Club or Costco.... So I opted to spend a few extra bucks more to get it in a dark bottle and hopefully current year stock. I purchased this lovely Bariani EVOO and it looked and smelled great, but honestly it didn't taste any different than the EVOO that I get elsewhere and the date on the bottle was confusing.... harvested in 2010 and bottled in 2011? Since I just purchased it September 2011 I was trying to figure out why. So, I contacted the company that produces this oil hoping to get some clarification on the details (since olive oil does not improve with age) and never heard back from them. So now I won't bother spending the extra money on that product. I did buy their Bariani Balsamic Vinegar 16.9 oz. and that is superb, but again sine I never heard from the company, why should I buy from them again? Disappointed!

UPDATE----- Since the Bariani company did not respond I contacted a reputable California company "Calolea" Calolea California Mission Blend Extra Virgin Olive Oil 500 Mland they offered this informative response:

Olives are harvested here in California between late October thru the middle of January. It takes some time to do all of the blending and bottling so the oil doesn't usually hit the stores until after the new year. So it is normal that oils made in 2010 come out in 2011.
As to what makes oils extra virgin, it is a reference to how much free fatty acid is present in the oil. The international standard is .08% of free fatty acid. The California standard is .05%. Our olive oil is usually between .01 to .02% so well below the definition of extra virgin. We accomplish this by picking and pressing within 24 hours. Olive oil does not get better with age! You should try to get oils that are fresh and use it quickly. Some companies come out with Olio Nuevo, new oil, during and right after harvest, this is when the oil is at its best but beware because sometimes it is very strong.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the BEST olive oil!, February 22, 2008
This is a superb product! Excellent service and packaged with care. I used to purchase this high quality olive oil at the Farmer's Market in San Francisco but have recently relocated to the East Coast so I now must have it shipped to me. Shipping is less when you order in multiple quantities. I will definitely order from this vendor again since I was pleased with the transaction. Thank you very much!

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Delish, September 10, 2012
This Olive Oil I discovered at a farmers market in San Fransico, and ever since then, it has been my most favorite. It tastes very olivey and fruity and doesn't have any weird smell or taste. in fact, this olive oil is delicious with just a piece of bread an nothing else. So of couse, using it on salads, bruchetta, anything you use olive oil for, this is the perfect one. I like that on the label it says when the olives were harvested and when it was bottled. I think that is a fancy touch.