5.0 out of 5 stars YUM and awesome
Published 8 months ago by Danie

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh.
I use coconut oil for skin care, nothing else as of yet. For that purpose, this isn't the best. I've tried both Nature's Way and Nutiva. In terms of scent, this one is the least sweet and has the strongest "cooking oil" clinging odor. Pass on Barlean's if you're using it for personal care.
Published 6 months ago by Majtron

5.0 out of 5 stars YUM and awesome, December 23, 2013
This review is from: Barlean's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 16-Ounce Jar (Health and Beauty)
This stuff is greattttt. The smell is soooo yummy. I use coconut oil on my toast, in my oatmeal, and even on my face and neck right before bed. LET ME TELL YOU... I have had severe cystic acne. This OIL right here does wonders. Before bed I wash my face thoroughly (the soap I use is very gentle - Aveno clear complexion).. then I slather a nice coat alll over my face. My scars are reducing and it is sooo tender on my skin that it doesn't cause me to break out. Coconut oil is known for it's anti-inflammatory effect. and from what i have heard from my mom (she started to use it because she saw how it started working on me) she uses it for winkles and she LOVES it. Coconut oil = miracle. I have spent money I don't have treating my skin; over a thousand dollars. I've taken Accutane and proactive... nope. Coconut oil baby. Bam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle for my dog's ALLERGIES!, February 12, 2013
I cannot emphasize this enough, that if you are frustrated with your dog's allergies that this is the ANSWER!

My carin terrier has spent the last year suffering from atopia, hot spots, constant itching and licking. I've spent hundreds of dollars at the vet and on meds that never worked: we've tried it all...prednisone, antibiotics, antifungals, ear drops, ear washes and even cyclosporine (which made my dog very sick!). After many months of going back and forth to the vet which didn't take my concerns very seriously, I found coconut oil by accident. I was trying to figure out something extra I could incorporate into my smoothies and viola there was coconut oil.

Add 1 tablespoon (melted) to your dog's food morning and night. My dog loves this so much he'll just eat it off the spoon! Literally in one week, his skin started to clear. The scabs that were covering his back and red, swollen paws have completely healed in two weeks. I'm completely shocked and thrilled!!! I feel so relieved and I know he is HAPPY, you can literally see it. He's more playful, energetic and his breath is better too!

So not only is it good for YOU but also for your best friend :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Oil, great for hair, skin, and cooking, but beware LDL rising..., February 26, 2013
Mir (North Miami Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I went through a Paleo/Primal dieting phase when I used this oil for most of my cooking, and my cholesterol went sky-high. Like crazy high. So, I cut back. Now, I use mostly EVOO for cooking, but I still buy and use this oil.

It smells good. It tastes good. It adds a lovely flavor (especially to baked goods and things like pancakes and waffles). You can make homemade chocolate sauces/puddings/candies with this and quality cocoa. It's a stable oil. You can leave this on the counter. I've had a big jar last a couple years unrefrigerated and stay as tasty as day one.

Coconut oil is great for hair (leave it on at least 13 hours to get it to protect hair protein optimally). It's great for the skin. It's just a really good all around oil and Barleans has a good one. I also like the Nutiva organic. Both are good. This Subscribe and Save price is a winner!

But if you have familial hypercholesterolemia or are a big-fat absorber (I had the DNA test done and I am one of those), you may need to keep an eye on your LDL. This will have a neutral to beneficial effect on HDL, so that's good. But the LDL, youch. Mine went from normal to 190 in a matter of months. When I emphasized EVOO more in my diet,and kept this for occasional usage, my LDL began to go back down. (I'm pattern A.) It also raised hubby's LDL, but not anywhere to the degree it elevated mine.

Again, a lot of good uses for this, and if you're a normal healthy person without cholesterol issues, enjoy it. A quality product that should be a home pantry staple just for its versatility and shelf-stableness. I think for folks who want natural, organic products, having this and some Manuka honey and aloe (fresh or otherwise) around the house takes care of a multitude of skin needs.

Enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Coconut Oil but best bought in store, December 3, 2012
First off this is an amazing coconut oil. Both for skin care and food use it is top notch. The smell especially is better than others and it tastes lighter but isn't flavorless. I noticed the jar I got shipped from Amazon spoiled twice as fast as the jars I have bought at the natural grocery. I had to throw away half the jar. Maybe its the shipping, warehousing, not sure, but I will buy it in store from now on.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, February 5, 2013
I haven't had this product long but this is my first impression.

It has a very pleasant, light,fresh coconut scent. Likewise, the taste has just a light hint of coconut.

Using it to cook soft scramble eggs instead of organic butter over medium heat, it did an excellent job. The cooking time was slower and more controlled and the result was very good with NO hint of coconut in the taste.

With the dry heat indoors during the winter, I use an organic oil for a moisturizer on my face. I had been using avocado oil but it does not absorb very quickly. Coconut oil does the trick by absorbing a generous coating completely in about 60-90 minutes. Really soft and tight feeling and even felt that way the next morning.

It can be used as an excellent lip balm.

If I get any cuter using it, I will let you know.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best product on the planet for hair and skin, March 27, 2011
Jessica Davis (East Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This is the only product I use on my hair and skin, every day tip to toe when I get out of the shower. Nothing has ever fixed all my skin issues and made my hair so gorgeous. LOVE THIS PRODUCT!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Coconut Oil on the market, October 17, 2011
Barlean's Organic EVO Coconut Oil is super high quality. I have tried many, and I find this to be the best. I use it for cooking as a replacement to vegetable oil, I add it to green smoothies, and use it as a tanning oil in the summer. This is amazing stuff!

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!! LOVE IT!!! L O V E IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, June 30, 2011
I purchased this for massage, but out of curiosity I tasted it, I might buy another just for food use! The smell is WONDERFUL not strong or over powering. Sinks in to skin quickly leaves no grease or oil on your skin, just amazing softness.
BUY IT!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good brand of coconut oil., November 13, 2011
Not all coconut oil is created equal in my eyes. I've tried several brands, and for whatever reason, some smell better than others. This one smells outstanding--a mild sweet coconut scent (as opposed to some that almost have a more savory, toasted coconut flake scent). And at less than $13, the price point is very decent. This is the second time I've tried this brand of coconut oil, and I continue to be satisfied with it. I don't keep it in the refrigerator.

I use coconut oil for my skin on a daily basis, I also take a spoon of it each morning, and I use it to cook certain dishes.

For those of you who have never used coconut oil, keep in mind that it's liquid when it's warm, and it solidifies when the temperature dips below 76 degrees Fahrenheit. So don't tilt your jar sideways on a warm day, because the liquidy oil will spill out; and don't be surprised when you open your jar on a slightly cooler day and see a solid white mass!

Because it is in a jar as opposed to a bottle, I recommend using a clean spoon to take out what you need (as opposed to your hands) so that you keep the contents of your jar as clean and bacteria-free as possible. If you do put your hands in the jar to scoop out oil, make sure you wash them with soap first, and dry them thoroughly before putting your fingers inside so that you don't contaminate the oil.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shiny and Soft, June 19, 2013
I have naturally curly, frizzy and thinnish hair. This def leaves my hair very very soft and shiny - which i love. I bought it to promote hair growth but i guess i havent used it often to notice. Going to mix this and castor oil together once a week and see what happens......

Barlean's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 16-Ounce Jar