4.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoyed this, July 25, 2012
This review is from: Jak Barley-Private Inquisitor and the Case of the Seven Dwarves (Kindle Edition)
I was hesitant as I started this but quickly decided that I was enjoying my read immensely. I loved the conversations and the attitudes of the characters. The story is basically about the 7 dwarves hiring a private investigator to figure out what happened to put their beloved "Frost Ivory" to sleep. Great humor--I enjoyed it very much. Some of the descriptions of the various creatures and/or confrontations are a little repulsive--something a young person might find funny--but a little off putting to me. All in all though a great "fractured" fairy tale!! I'm planning to read the other Jak Barley story!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Jak's back - watch out!, August 28, 2013
Jo Ann Hakola (Las Cruces, NM USA) - See all my reviews
Jak Barley is not your normal investigator. He works with other worldly types, like dwarves, demons, mages, and the like. While Jak starts out with good intentions, he always seems to fall into whatever adventure he's on. He might have plans, but life happens to Jak.

The author and Rogue Press sent me a copy of this book for review (thank you). You can find it there or Amazon now.

I wasn't too sure what I thought when Jak's case includes seven dwarves and a beautiful young maiden named Frost Ivory. Why put Snow White in Jak's story? So he has a good opportunity to meet the wicked witch, that's why!

This story is a combination action novel filled with fantasy and humor. I enjoyed it a lot. After all, Jak is still fighting the forces of Dorga. This time he meets Blackwatch Goblins, vampires, angry piss dragons and the wicked witch's daughter. Suddenly he's not just trying to save Frost Ivory, he's also trying to protect his heart!

The story flows well, it read fast, and I'm ready for the next book now. I hope we learn more about Lorenzo in the next story. He's a very interesting character and Jak needs him for a mentor. But who is he really???

Happy reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haven't laughed this hard in ages, December 4, 2012
I picked this up by chance and was very surprised and delighted. Most of the books I read that claim they are funny are worth a chuckle. This one actually had me laughing out loud. I could read a part a second or third time and it was still funny. I also need to say I am a great fan of Terry Pratchett's discworld and this one put me in mind of Pratchett.

It's a mix of Hard Boiled, Terry Pratchett and fairy tales and is well pulled off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Off beat and fun!, April 22, 2012
Jak Barley is a ferret.. err, private inquisitor. Hired by seven dwarfs to help find a cure for a deep sleeping maiden, Jak at first thinks he's being had. He has friends who would find it amusing to set him off on a fairy tale chase; but the dwarfs are all too serious. Poor, beautiful Frost Ivory is in suspended animation and the dwarfs are sure it is the doing of a nearby witch- who recently moved into a deserted death-god temple.

Soon Jak finds himself the target of legendary assassins, piss dragons and antisocial mages. On his side, he has a mysterious friend from another dimension, bunches of half siblings (his father was unable to keep his pants zipped,) relatives of the coal dwarfs and, more or less, dark goblins. And after meeting and becoming entangled with the beautiful daughter of the suspect witch his plight goes from bad to worse. Who is trying to kill Jak.. and why?

He carries a sword, but his thumb and when necessary even bugs shaped like crawdads with spider legs can become a weapon. You're not sure if he's quick thinking, courageous or foolish at times. But Jak and his merry band of strange friends and family are fun. I actually laughed out loud at one part of the book. (Very rare for me.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun read!, September 6, 2012
This is a fun witty book where a not so hard boiled detective rollicks around in the fantasy world genre that twists in classic fairy tale bits that would seem at home in a Monty Python movie. Very fun read, good for a long plane ride.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, tongue in cheek sword and sorcery, May 28, 2012
Rhonda J Callum-King (Fort Bragg, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I am not a great fan of humorous stories. I usually prefer my fantasy, straight up. Occasionally, I like something light and satirical. This is a fun tale, not Adams and Anthony but close enough to be quite enjoyable.