5.0 out of 5 stars Great!
Published on December 16, 2012 by Larry S. Williams

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Glitchy
I've owned the Nook Simple Touch for about a year now and for the most part I'm happy with it. The rate it which the words draw on the screen is a little slow sometimes and about once a month it freezes up. The only thing that unfreezes it is pushing the reset button for about 20 seconds.

***Update*** About a month after the warranty expired, the screen froze...
Published on September 14, 2012 by Patricia H.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, December 16, 2012
This review is from: Nook Simple Touch eReader (Electronics)
I suspect that all of the negtiv reviews here at amazon have something to do with amazon having a compeeding product... but I must say that I love my nook touch. If you're looking for something that covers a broad range of media, has lots of features, or allows you to easily buy books from someplace like amazon, I suggest you look elsewhere. But if you want something that's straightforward and easy to use for reading, this is a great little ereader! I'm also not sure why everyone here is complaining about freezing and having to restart so often; I've never had any problems with that! The thing I like the most about the nook is the expandable micro SD card, and the fact that it can use epubs. If you go with the kindle, you're stranded going to online retailers that sell the MOBI format, whereas most places garanteed carry the epub. But to be honest, it's not hard to convert between the two formats if you know how; you've just gotta have a piece of software to do it for you.

Bottom line: This is a great little ereader for reading books, and nothing more.

3.0 out of 5 stars Somewhat Glitchy, September 14, 2012
This review is from: Nook Simple Touch eReader (Electronics)

***Update*** About a month after the warranty expired, the screen froze up permanently. I haven't been able to figure out anything that will make the touch screen work again and when I called tech support, the only advice they could give me was to do a hard reset which isn't working to unfreeze the screen anymore. When it worked, I really liked it. I just wish that it still worked.

5.0 out of 5 stars great product !, January 16, 2013
This review is from: Nook Simple Touch eReader (Electronics)
I loved my Nook very much, Its very comfortable to use . What I love about Nook more than kindle , that I could pick any Russian book, magazine on Internet download on my computer , convert to PD format and download on Nook + I could pick on Nook any size of letters for comfortable reading .. On Kindle you can make bigger size of letters only if you Bought ebook on Kindle store. Other PD format books have so small size of letters , only if you zoom text , which I find uncomfortable Like I said with Nook no problem. Also touch screen work great too.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute little reader, September 27, 2013
Tedward "Geek" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nook Simple Touch eReader (Electronics)
I'll be writing this review in stages, as I hit stopping points.

Lightweight, nice screen, cute, low-profile buttons around the rim. Touch screen is about as responsive as my iphone 4s. Includes cable that has a standard USB a jack that plugs into just about everything: the computer, my hub, and the standard variety of wall worts and car chargers.

This device is hard directed for "easy setup". Too hard. There should be a way to accept the TOU and get to using the device. Forcing wifi setup and registration is just bad planning.

Wifi - This is the stupidest thing about this device. Once you charge it up, you turn it on, it asks for you to agree to terms, then it goes through wifi setup. Note, you must HAVE wifi, AND connect to it successfully for the setup process to continue. At this time, I'm stuck. I'm in a town with limited wifi options, so it's not like I can just select a local hotspot. Until i register the device, I have a brick.

I have an old Netgear Router 802.11g&b with wep and wpa protection. The nook is capable of wpa2 security, but managed the wep and wpa security pretty nicely. Strange thing was that I could get past the password, but it still would not connect to the internet (I checked the setup with my iPhone and everything worked fine). Customer service had very few answers and only about 3 steps for me to take to fix the problem. I tiered up to the supervisor and managed to pry out of her that the Nook runs on an 802.1x EAP network. Upon googling it, this looks like the same network that causes a lot of android problems. Next step is to hunt down a public wifi and try again.

However: As soon as the thing charged and turned on, it showed up on my desktop and I was able to upload screensavers, books, documents, etc. The device has a VERY small available memory, (about 250Mb), so text only books can be loaded, but not large PDFs (I bought this to enjoy the Modernist Cuisine series, 300Mb+ PDFs). I had an old version of Calibre that worked right away.

I'll change this review and maybe the two stars rating once I have something more than an expensive SD card reader to play with.

UPDATE (after a stop at Denny's)
Okay, sure enough, Once in a local restaurant with free wifi, I was able to connect, register and start using my nook. I made sure I had a couple books on it when I left, so I was able to read a chapter before I paid the check.

In good light, this screen is beautiful. The characters are crisp and clear, it's easy to read, and you can make several screen adjustments including a limited list of fonts, size and margins. In lower light, the dark grey on light grey screen gets tougher to read than, say, a printed sheet of paper. Still, in my apt with only a 60 watt light illuminating the room, it's still pretty easy to read.

You get two choices on how the side buttons function. Personally, I like the lower one turning the page forward; because I tend to hold it in the lower corner, cupped in my hand. However, you can swipe the screen to turn pages, too.

The OS on the nook is a little simpler than, say the kindle fire. And maybe that's why I like it better. On this device, books are books are books. They can be epubs, pdfs, purchased or uploaded, they all go the same place, and they all end up in the same list. Nothing grinds my gears more than having to look 2-3 places for things based on where you bought them, or some other phantom difference established by the designers (or worse, the marketing department - I'm looking at you Kindle). The down side to this that if you have a large ebook library, you are pretty much stuck using the search function. There doesn't seem to be a way to organize books any other way. [checking online....] Oh crap, they have this whole "shelf" system built in. Damn, scratch that organizational thing, I'll get back to ya there.

Screen Savers.
Forget about those fancy things on your PC, the nook's idea of a screen saver is to place a picture on the screen when it sleeps. The default is a bunch of pictures of famous authors. nice, you can also choose nature scenes. But, remember I said that you could upload directly to the nook? Well, here ya go. Create a folder with the name of your screen saver set, upload some 800x600 pics (jpg/png formats) in portrait mode and Voila! You have your own custom set. I went to nook.com and downloaded a bunch of Str Trek Geeky stuff at first, but then realized I could just take a few snapshots and convert them to 16 greys myself. Now I have a folder of a dozen of MY pictures as the screen saver. Very nice. Kinda like having an image viewer as well.

Calibre.
Getting calibre to work with the device once it was working was a complete breeze. I bought a 16gb micro SD on sale and added it. The card mounts on the desktop separately, but calibre is all tuned up to read them correctly. So, when you put stuff on the device, you have the option of loading it in main memory or on the card. Come to think of it, a series of small cards could be another way to organize as well. Put your SF collection on this card, classics on that one, etc. Fun.

Oh, also, once I got the registration completed at Denny's I went into settings and disconnected the wifi. It's been operating in that mode ever since. So, only that first time is needed.

Adding two more stars for all the juicy goodness. I'll play around with it a while and see if we can get it to 5. No real serious problems yet.

Update

PDFs - Okay, so pretty much everything else that displays pdfs tries to incorporate the formatting of the document. This strange little device actually reads the text (easiest way to save formatting = text + format), and produces it in standard format. It's a little disorienting but it makes for a much more consistent reading experience.

Micro SD
I think my real problem with this device was getting a huge SD card for this then thinking I had to fill it with a whole library. Bah! Granted, those 6 really large PDFs need some room, but I could have fit them all on a 2 Gb card and still had plenty of room to spare. *sigh* All that room meant I could have 100s of books on the device. Think: Tim Taylor " More Power!" {grunt grunt}

Shelves. The device keeps track of the shelves internally, so it's not like a document you could edit outside the device and use your computer's search function to organize. you MUST go through your entire library, no search functions, one book at a time to add to shelves. Great if you know what you're looking for, but not all sets start with Lord of the Rings 1: ....

If you buy this, don't get an external card right away. the onboard memory can hold a lot of stuff. Shorter onboard lists mean you have less stress with shelves and such.

I won't be exploring the B&N store for a while (a Long while). I have a massive library to work through first. So look elsewhere for those reviews. I've heard the store is mighty nice though.

No ads, easy to use, a joy to read. This, my final entry sees that last star moving up the device. Take heed of the speedbumps I've experienced and enjoy this cute little reader. Now, I just need a case..... :)

ANOTHER UPDATE: Months later and I've read a small library on this thing. It's a delight. but I still find myself avoiding PDFs a lot because of the disorientation. Also: to the 2 people who did NOT find this review helpful - Bite me. Leave a comment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 17, 2012
This review is from: Nook Simple Touch eReader (Electronics)
I bought this directly from barns and noble. I get books from the library on my computer and that works good. The battery life is very good and the screen is very responsive. This is better then the kindle because it has expandable memory and accepts all popular formats for eBooks. The one complaint I have is that when you read PDFs you do not get the dictionary features and some of the writing is weirdly spaced. That's not what I bought it for so it does not matter to me. It has survived many months in public high school so it is very durable. I have of course bought it a protective case though. Barns and Noble ebooks are cheaper then regular books by a couple of dollars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knook Simple Touch, February 15, 2013
Craig A. Smith (MIDLOTHIAN, VIRGINIA, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nook Simple Touch eReader (Electronics)
Great basic little reader for the money. Battery life is great. Bought this as a gift for my daughter and she really likes it. performs as described and delivery time was as noted by seller.

1.0 out of 5 stars Barnes and Noble Customer Service? Not happening., September 4, 2013
This review is from: Nook Simple Touch eReader (Electronics)
No stars. Be warned, potential B&N customer: if you have a problem with a defective brand-new, just-delivered Nook device, you're likely headed for Customer Service hell. Be prepared to meet with an army of know-nothing, apparently deceptive incompetents. Any merits of B&N's Nook products are offset by the company's Customer Service from hell. Today, trying to resolve the problem of having just received a Nook Simple Touch lemon, I've been lied to, hung up on, and received no help at all. The return call, promised by a supervisor at around six this evening, never came. So, around 4 hours later, I called back and spoke to another supervisor, identifying myself and asking for help. This call was disconnected on B&N's side, and that supervisor never called me back or emailed me to provide service. I've also been advised that I'll have to wait quite a while for a replacement Nook, though I live in Manhattan and the site promises same-day Manhattan delivery. I'd read reviews on the B&N site and, I believe, on Amazon as well, about B&N's horrific so-called Customer Service. I can see now, from experience, that the horror stories are true. So if you buy a Nook from B&N and get a lemon, as can happen with any e-device, you're going to find yourself quite alone with your problem. Whatever the merits of the Kindle, I know from experience that Amazon Customer Service lives up to its name. B&N Customer Service is essentially an insult to customers. I don't work for either company. I'm just a customer with a brand-new defective Nook Simple Touch, and I can't get any help from B&N. So if you look at the numbers and see that Kindles far outsell Nooks, B&N's misnamed Customer Service is likely at least part of the reason.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Easy to use!!, January 6, 2014
This review is from: Nook Simple Touch eReader (Electronics)
I bought this for my mom for Christmas, who is not very technology savvy, and she loves it. It is simple to set up and easy to use, I have bought one for my self last year and recommend to anyone looking for a simple yet effective ereader

1.0 out of 5 stars BN set this up so that your debit card is on permanently and anyone can charge books to your debit card!, January 27, 2014
G. Jonas (Weehawken, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
Perfectly awful:
My twins got them for presents: One never worked; the other has broken after two weeks. They also have a diabolical system of charging you for downloading: I gave my son my debit card number as a one time deal; the nook sucked in the number and now it's there permanently for him or anyone who finds it to just press once and charge my debit card! It's disgusting! Also, the online support is practically non-existent; there's actually a glitch they haven't fixed in the Chat customer service that doesn't allow you to categorize your complaint in one area until you've categorized in another. Oh,and have I mentioned that the nook gift cards I purchased for each of them don't work?

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Light Weight E-Reader, July 18, 2014
Alan Houston (Texas, United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Nook Simple Touch eReader (Electronics)
The Simple Touch is now discontinued as it has been replaced by the Nook Glowlight.

The Simple Touch is very light weight and easy to carry with you. Even a heavy reader can get a week on a battery charge. Text is sharp and easy to read. Extra large font sizes can be selected if needed.

My Simple Touch needed replacement due to a defective touchscreen. I phoned Barnes & Noble and the replacement arrived in five days later.

Nook Simple Touch eReader