Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS

on July 23, 2010
I went from the Sony Reader Pocket Edition (which I really did like) to the Nook after the Wifi only version came out and I do not regret the move. I love everything about the Nook and BN reader store. The Nook is bigger than the Sony Pocket Reader and after reading the Nook for awhile - I just could not go back to reading something on the Pocket Reader. I like the fact that you can enlarge the print up to extra extra large and choose between several font styles. I like the clock at the top of the reader so now I don't have to waste my morning reading time on the porch by constantly running in to check the clock in the kitchen to see when I need to get ready for work. I like the fact that you can look at the covers of the books when you want to pick out what you want to read next. I like that you can add so much extra space to your device (the Pocket reader only accepted 150 books before freezing and acting up). I really like the fact that you can preorder ebooks which will just download to your device when they are available. I like the fact that the power cord is $14.99 so I can buy extra (one for home, one for work) - where Sony Reader's power cord was almost $30.00. I like the fact that I can install my own new battery when the time comes and not have to send my reader off to have it done for me. I like the fact that if there are any questions about the Nook, I just have to go to a nearby B&N and get the help I need instead of wasting time with emails only to receive vague answers from the techs. All in all I think this is a wonderful device - exactly what I wanted. I usually read about three to four books a week and being able to carry my whole library with me is great! I would definitely recommend this product.
66 comments259 of 265 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 12, 2010
I've had my Nook for about 2 weeks and love it. Before I purchased it, I spent weeks researching the differences between the Barnes and Noble Nook and the Kindle and other ereaders. I chose the Nook because I can read .epub format books on it; something you cannot do on the Kindle. The Kindle only supports .pdf files and ebooks in the proprietary Amazon.com format. That severely limits the number and type of ebooks you can read.

With the Nook, I have borrowed free ebooks from my local library and within minutes downloaded them to my computer and then transferred them to my Nook. AWESOME! In addition, unlike the Kindle, I can read free ebooks available from Google.

The only thing I don't like about the Nook and the Kindle is that neither one of them has a back-lit screen so, at night or in the dark, you have to have alternative ample light. So I either turn on a lamp or use the small, clip-on light I bought at the local RiteAid for about $10. It works just fine.

So far, I have had no problems navigating my ebooks; everything works smoothly and the pages turn quickly. I'm enjoying the convenience of being able to travel with 30 books and audio-books at a time. I also have some music loaded on my Nook so I can listed to it while I read. Lastly, I'm glad I bought a case for it because I pretty much take it every place I go so the hard case prevents the screen from getting scratched or broken.

I'm very happy with my purchase.
1515 comments144 of 149 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 18, 2010
I have been an Amazon fan for a long time. My first attempt at owning a Kindle resulted in two failing devices for which I eventually obtained a refund.

My birthday is today; my brother asked me what I wanted two weeks ago and I told him the Kindle. Unfortunately at that precise moment Amazon was right in the middle of rolling out the new Wi-Fi only Kindle and all models were unavailable. So, I went for the barnes & noble nook Wi-Fi only.

Considering my previous experience with the Kindle, I tried not to get too excited. I went on the net to read reviews of the nook and was fearful. I read that it was buggy, that it lagged when you changed pages, that the touch interface was not all that responsive.

All of this was wrong; the page turns are quick and do not interrupt the flow of reading. The touch interface is very nice and I like seeing my book covers in color. When you choose the Cover Flow, your books slide by with the touch of a finger and you simply tap on the book you want to read at that moment. This was surprisingly helpful when I went to make purchases on the B&N Store. I know you don't judge a book by its cover, but how many times has a nice colorful packaging led me to a book I wanted to read, uhm; many times. I was really intrigued with the "swipe" page turn that you used the touch screen for, however this did not seem to function correctly on the store model or on my own nook. Strangely, after a period of time, it now works perfectly. A representative told me it simply had to adapt to my touch...I don't know how much I trust that statement, however when she turned a page on the display nook it responded to her very well. (Perhaps it was a learning curve?)

Side-loading documents: Wow, if you have any epub or pdf documents all you have to do is side load them and voila. I do recommend a free program called Calibre, which organizes your books, helps you edit the tags, add a color cover, or convert to epub. Pdf is not very easy to read on the nook, but if you convert to epub it goes smoothly, unless there are alot of photos or images, which lessens the accuracy of the conversion. Calibre has even converted files like, Word-Doc, Html, Palm, etc. Calibre will let you pick and choose books to upload to the nook directly from the program; in other words it 'sees' the nook.

Drawbacks to the nook: The battery life, that nifty little color touch screen eats the battery power like mad. B&N claim that you get 10 days, cut that in half. I do not know if this is because I use the touch screen to do my page turns or not,(the other option being the side buttons) but I am leaning toward, maybe? LCD screens notoriously use power; but using the page turn function does not require the back-light to be on, so I am not sure how it is eating up the battery so badly. It is honestly not that much of a problem for me. I am around my computer so much that it is unlikely a day will go by without it being attached to the CPU or an outlet next to my bed. I have gone almost four days with not re-charging; and I could see that little power icon decrease at least to slightly more than half in that time.

Oh - and that nifty little cover flow on the color screen. Don't expect it to work for Your Documents. (There are two libraries, the B&N purchased books and your side-loaded books or documents.) Also there is no way to sort your documents to your specification so you either sort by author, title, or the date you loaded them, very annoying if you build up a nice library; which is highly likely considering you can add an SD card to your nook and increase memory to 16 maybe 32 gigabytes. Speaking of which with that ability to increase memory, it would have been nice if the MP3 Player interface were a little more sophisticated. An interesting ability is to play an unabridged audio-book and read the book at the same time. I am not sure who would do that, but then again I understand spoken Spanish more than I am capable of reading it. This might be useful to me in that area, if I can find the matching audio-book/ Spanish-book. (Nuance in foreign language is often lost in English translation.)

Never having owned a functioning 3G eBook-reader, I never really missed it with my home Wi-Fi. I have discovered several places close to where I "haunt" which have AT&T free to my nook. I already have a huge collection of books lined up for me to read... so feeling a "need" for the 3G seems unlikely. I have always done this, collected books that line up, ready for me to read. (By the way... the in store B&N Wi-Fi connection has s*cked at every B&N store I have been to. Amazingly Border's free Wi-fi worked better, I just couldn't buy through the B&N store. I had to go to my smart phone, buy the book, and it uploaded.)

So how do I feel about my nook; I absolutely love it! To be fair however, had I received a functioning Kindle, I would have felt the same way about it, I am certain. I think the Kindle has deficiencies with the lack of a touch/color interface and the side loading documents ability. However, that screen kills the battery as I stated. The reason for liking the separate touch interface is that you don't want to touch your e-ink screen; I don't see how Sony's all touch interface e-reader is going to be popular when you are smudging your read screen all the time, though I must admit I would like to try one out.

The nook is comfortable in all sorts of positions, laying in bed, on the couch, holding it next to you; even laying it away from you and increasing the font so that you could read without holding it. I highly recommend a reading light, especially if you had grown accustomed to reading LCD screens in the dark (my kindle program on my Android phone.)

It is rather frustrating, I would have preferred a Kindle simply because I was impressed with Amazon customer service when my Kindle malfunctioned.

I do recommend the nook. It would be nice if they would lessen DRM restrictions so I could buy books from Amazon or any other place for that matter.

Sincerly
R
1111 comments161 of 171 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 9, 2010
I wish I could give this so many more stars than 5. I totally love this thing. I started with a Kindle 3, didn't like it at all, returned it and got the Nook. I love it so much. I actually have trouble putting it down. The touchscreen rocks and makes it's so easy to navigate, I have an iphone so I'm touchscreen spoiled lol. I think this was my main issue with the Kindle. I hated the Kindles buttons and struggled navigating on it then along came the Nook and it's color touchscreen saved me. Don't think twice, grab yourself a Nook and melt away in hours of pleasurable reading.

Also I saw lots of complaints that the Nook unit was slow, maybe cuz I have the 1.4 update installed? It seems fine to me, so I believe all the negative reactions are to the original unit prior to updates.

Edit: I left a 1 star review of the Kindle and got attacked by people calling me names and liar cuz I said I liked the Nook better. I deleted the review to avoid further harrashment.
22 comments33 of 34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 26, 2010
My journey towards owning a nook took kind of a strange path. I'd been excited to an e-reader, and when I was asked what I wanted for the holidays, my immediate response was a Kindle. I hadn't done any research, knew nothing about it other than it was the only e-reader I had heard of due to commercials, conversations, etc.

When I received my Kindle, I immediately fell in love. I purchased several books using an Amazon Gift Card and carried it everywhere I went. It was the perfect size, the screen was clear and crisp, and it took seconds to set up. I had heard that my local library had a lending library of eBooks, and day after receiving my Kindle I raced over there to renew my library card. That was where my love affair with my Kindle began to fray.

After getting my first book via email, I set about working to get it on my Kindle. Needless to say, this led to hours of frustration. I scoured the internet looking for a way to make it work, to get this ePub book to read on my Kindle. After an exhaustive search, I determined that without breaking dozens of international copyright laws are instantly learning how to hack or re-write script. I learned how proprietary the device truly was. In fact, if I wanted to read anything, I would have to purchase it from the Kindle store on Amazon.com. It was with a heavy heart that I deleted all my purchases from my Kindle, packaged it back up, and sent it back to Amazon. To their credit, Amazon's customer service made the return process extremely easy. Within days I had my complete refund, including for the books I had purchased.

Enter the nook. During my research, I had learned that the nook had the capability to do all the things the Kindle had lacked. It was specifically listed on my library's site as a capable e-reader, and allowed me the flexibility of purchasing from other sites, lending books to friends, or previewing books in store. I found a seller on Amazon who was offering the nook for its expected price of $149, not the ridiculous mark-up some of the vendors on this site are asking (in some cases $180???).the seller shipped the device quickly, and it arrived in the prompt fashion we have come to expect of Amazon purchases.

I am very, very happy with my choice. While the nook is slightly larger, and perhaps a bit heavier, it performs like a champ. The e-ink screen has the same clarity and crispness of the Kindle, and the page turning feels sharp and quick, no different than flicking a page in its ink and paper counterparts. Setup was quick and easy, I was able to connect to my WEP-encrypted Wireless network within seconds. I already had a B&N account, so registration was a breeze, and my first book purchase was quick and easy as well. You have the option of purchasing from the site on your PC or perusing the store right on your nook, and the books arrive within seconds. The reading experience is fantastic, my love of reading ha been renewed after years of growing stale while reading and re-reading the covers on my bookshelves at home. I recommend a cover, of which Barnes and Noble offers a myriad of choices for both practicality and style.

The only cons towards the nook that I have discovered thus far:

1) The touchscreen, unlike the e-ink screen, has a glossy finish. It took a little getting used to the first time I read my nook. There can be a slight glare, and I recommend setting the touchscreen time out to 10 seconds. After just a few hours of reading, however, I forgot it was even there. I use a book light at night, and all it took was setting up the light so that it didn't reflect off the touch screen.

2) The touchscreen is also not what we have come to expect with the advent and popularity of devices like the iPhone and Android. It can be slower than we are used to, but if you got this device primarily for reading as I did, this will be a minor annoyance.

And thats really the only downsides I have been able to find thus far. Its also exciting having a brick and mortar storefront to visit with my nook. My first visit to the store with it, I was able to get a free smoothie from the cafe using a coupon from the screen. In fact there are several offers from the store page, including discounts and other offers. Add to this you can read for free in the store, and it just makes for a great experience all around. I stepped into the store, turned on my Nook, and it instantly welcomed me into the store, connecting instantly to their local network and filling me in on current offers.

While the Kindle may be the more talked about e-reader, the smart choice is the nook. Until Amazon lifts the proprietary restrictions, the Kindle will always be an extraordinary device with ridiculous limitations on its capabilities. Go with the nook, you'll be happier in the long run.
0Comment32 of 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2010
I found the nook to be very easy to navigate and work with, downloading books was a breeze.

My issue with it is the touch screen - not only does it shorten the battery life considerably (compared to e-readers without an LCD display) it's also not an anti-glare surface. And although the screen goes into sleep mode, most of the time I was far too distracted trying to find the right angle to hold it in my hands in order to avoid having my reflection and/or the lights staring right back at me in my peripheral view. When I did find the right angle to avoid reflections it was either uncomfortable to hold or too angled to read comfortably.

This may not be a bother to everyone but in case you're peripherally sensitive like me you may want to think twice and consider another e-reader. I sold my nook on ebay and went for a different one after trying to give the nook a fair shot.
44 comments64 of 73 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2010
I had the sony reader before, brought it back, because I had problems downloading
books from the public library. I bought the nook, and I love it. It is easy to
download books from the library and it is much easier to read.
My daughter has a kindle. She is happy with it. But she cannot download books
from the library. That was very important to me.
on October 27, 2010
My wonderful husband treated me to a Nook (Wi-Fi version - not 3G) for my birthday just one month ago and I haven't put it down since. We spent plenty of time researching and reviewing other e-readers and decided this was our reader of choice - I'm truly happy about the decision. It was user friendly right out of the box, simple to connect wirelessly and quick to charge. There are so many options for loading books on the Nook and one of the selling features for me was that I can take it to any Barnes and Noble store for free in-store downloads and reads. I even love the fact that I'm able to download (check out) digital books from our local library online - what a bonus! I have NOT experienced any trouble with battery longevity or overall durability. I take my Nook everywhere and just toss it in my purse, complete with Nook cover of course. I take it to school (while waiting for the kids!), doctor's appointments and even to church (gotta look up those Bible verses!). My NIV Bible is loaded on the Nook which is wonderful - although it is a bit difficult to navigate through the books/verses in a pinch. So I'd have to say I like my faithful, printed Bible for quick reference, highlighting and notetaking. But, all other reading is done on my Nook. The screen is clear and crisp, bookmarks are easy to use, books and documents are easy to navigate - and many times I'm fighting for control of my Nook with my son (9) who always wants to read it! The only complaint is that the internet connection is a bit slow at times, but who really cares? I've got my laptop to do all that. And any questions I've had on the Nook - I just take it to the store for quick, reliable and friendly service.

Use Nook as your e-reader ... less paper / more knowledge!

"Reading is to the mind what exercise is to the body." - Joseph Addison
on October 10, 2010
I've had my nook wifi for several months now and I must say that I absolutely love it. I was an English major in college and I read tons of books so for a long time I went back and forth between the kindle and the nook. I love amazon, but the nook appealed to me more. I finally bought the nook just after I graduated because I had some leftover graduation money and I am so glad I did. The only thing I might have done differently would be to have paid the extra fifty dollars for the free 3g. I don't really use the web browser, but it would be nice to have since I don't get web on my phone. Anyway, the browser is actually not that bad, if you view a regular web page you have to pan side to side to see the whole thing, so for emails I just use the mobile version of yahoo and gmail since I just have to scroll up and down. The browser works well for basics, like email, checking movie times, and a quick wikipedia search.

The nook really isn't any heavier than most books (except maybe mass market paperbacks) and I find it to be very comfortable to hold (though usually I prefer holding it with a cover on so it's more like a book). I love the way the books can be organized in different categories. Usually I just organize them by date last opened though since I read more than one book at a time and can therefore have all the books I'm reading at the top of the list. I also love the touch screen it's not perfect (iPod touch and iPhone touch screens are much better), but I don't mind. The games that are included are absolutely perfect for me too. I love chess and sudoku and hopefully they'll add more in the future to be downloaded, but I'm happy with just those two. The screens contrast is great and while the new Kindle says it has better contrast, I honestly don't think I'd need it to be better. I can read perfectly fine and pictures look great on the screen. Another thing that I love about the nook is that you can personalize the screensaver and background (I know that's not really important, but I like having my favorite pics on my nook).

Anyway, I'm really happy with the nook and I think it was well worth the money. An ereader will never take the place of actual books for me, I still buy both. I usually read free classics and pay for the books that I know I won't really ever want to read again (like the paperbacks I used to buy from target or walmart). Other books that I know I will want to keep to reread, I buy the physical copy. I love the price of ebooks too. Usually they are either equal to or less than the cost of regular books and you can sometimes find them for super cheap! I've never tried the kindle, but honestly I'd say they're probably fairly equal when it comes down to it (I mean really reading a book on a screen doesn't vary that much). If you just go with whichever one sounds better to you, then you'll probably be happy, I know I am!
on January 2, 2011
First off, I want to start out by saying that I love my Nook. My friend is an employee of B&N so he was there to help guide me along in my selection and answer any questions I had. So, yes, I did have a little bias to the product to begin with. However, for what I need, this is perfect in almost every single way. In my review I'll compare the Nook to the Kindle ($139 version) and it's major differences, just so people know what I'm talking about in terms of other products as we go down the list.

The Bad (If you want to call it that):

1. The Nook is a little heavier than the Kindle. I'm not sure of the exact weight differences, but just by feel alone it is a tad bit heavier. Now, that can be a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it. I for one don't find it to be a deal buster, the weight is not catastrophically heavier and uncomfortable, but it is heavier than the Kindle. I do think, however, that the durability of the Nook is a little better compared to the Kindle. The Nook has built in paddles to turn the pages, while the Kindle has flappy paddles along the side that feel as though they could break if I dropped it on it's side or if I touched it to hard. My suggestion for anyone interested in buying the Nook is to also buy a carrying case for it so it makes it easier to read, almost as if you were reading a real book. The covers at B&N usually start around $30.

2. The Nook does have a touch screen that has a bit of glare to it. Some others have posted their reviews of how they dislike the glare when the touch screen goes dark. For me it is a bit distracting if you find yourself wandering away from the text. However, whenever I read a book I find many distractions around me while I read. It's not a huge deal in anyway and some have posted if you turn it to the right angle you won't see your reflection. Again, not a deal buster in anyway I wouldn't think.

3. The start up time is atrocious. I can't defend this one in anyway. Amish people can put up houses in a faster amount of time before the Nook would have a chance to get to your homepage. Ok, so not quite that slow, but you get the idea. I haven't timed it yet but I'm going to take an educated guess that it takes around 1-1/2 minutes to start up. That is something that should have been addressed from B&N to begin with. Again, I can't defend this one in anyway.

Ok, so what you have all been waiting for: The Good

1. The extra storage feature is superb. The Nook comes with a built in 2GB storage space. Enough for most people, 2GB will get most every book you want to read in your Nook with no problem. However, if you are a fanatic reader that has Newspapers and Magazines delivered to your Nook everyday or every week, this can begin to take up space if you don't free it up. But don't fret! The Nook comes with an extra storage slot for your SD card that can hold up to whatever the highest SD card space is out there. The great thing about it is, SD cards are a lot cheaper today than you would have found 3 years ago, so adding space is cheap.

2. The Nook has a featured called "LendMe". This is something that the Kindle does not have and I'm sure for competition sake will have in the future. This a great, great, great feature to the Nook! If you have any friends, family or co-workers that have a Nook and have a book on theirs that you would like to read, you can hook up wireless or through the computer and Lend them a copy of it for up to 14 days. If you're a fast reader then you can knock out a 500-600 page book in easily 14 days.

3. Your county library might be on the list of Nook rentals. In the county in which I reside in North Carolina, our county library is fortunate enough to have a system in which I can rent books for 14 days from the library. This also is something the Kindle does not have. Before I go off on how great the feature for renting books is, I should point out that the library is going to have a limited selection of books for you to rent. I'm a big Thomas Sowell reader and he has approximately 30 books out on the market. However, the county library that I rent from has only 1 book from his selection. So do you're research before you buy a book, your county library might have it already. The feature, as I have seen, is relatively easy to use. You do have to hard wire your Nook to your computer after you download some software, but it's really simple and the kind people at your local county library can assist you on how to do this. In fact our county library had everything we needed in terms of software and directions on their website.

4. Finally. You can take your Nook to B&N and read any book for up to an hour. Recently I went to grab some coffee at B&N and wanted to read a book on Ireland. Popped open my Nook, connected to the B&N network (already programmed into your nook for ease), selected the book I wanted to read from the list I searched on, and wam-bam I was reading a book. You can read lots of books on one Nook from their online selection without having to lug 20 actual books that you wanted to compare before you bought.

In closing on this review I would say first and foremost do your homework. Go to B&N or BestBuy and try out the Kindle, Nook and even the Sony Reader. Some will really like the touch screen of the Nook compared to the touchpad of the Kindle, but it's all in what you like. Some will like the fact you can Lend books and some won't.

I'm sure I've missed out on something that others would like to know about the product before buying, so if you have any questions please contact me back here on Amazon and I'll try to get to you as quickly as possible.