5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Addition to Your Crossbow
I purchased this to go with a recently purchased Barnett Wildcat C5 when I found that I couldn't cock it by hand, despite being in good physical condition. It easily installs with 3 hex wrenches which are included, and can be mounted on either side of the stock as one prefers.

Since the windlass has a pawl to prevent accidental discharge, it makes a...
Published on May 25, 2011 by Mark T.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality but not for Ghost
I bought this thinking I was going to simplify cocking my Ghost 400 and not have to carry around a cocking rope. Here's my thought...

Published on June 30, 2012 by bwan

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Addition to Your Crossbow, May 25, 2011
Mark T. (California, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)

Since the windlass has a pawl to prevent accidental discharge, it makes a distinctive clicking, ratcheting sound as you cock it. Otherwise, it does not require any particular strength to use and requires about 20-30 seconds to deploy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple to use, March 25, 2010
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)
The item once installed is simple to use. You will need a little mechanical ability to install it correctly.

5.0 out of 5 stars The product is great and at a very good price., January 12, 2009
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)
The product installs very easily, performs flawlessly, and is $140.00 cheaper than if purchased a Gander Mountain. Great product.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality but not for Ghost, June 30, 2012
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)

Installation was pretty easy even though there is absolutely no reference to the Ghost 400 in the manual, manual inserts, or the Barnett Website. After installing this device and figuring out where I think the hook storage mount was supposed to go, I quickly decided I didn't like this setup. It did make the draw easier than a pull rope, but not too much in the practical sense. But, here's where it gets stupid. After you draw the bow string back, you have to pull the hooks back out and over the scope to get to the storage mount. As you do this, you have to make sure you stay clear of the handle that is spinning wildly as you pull it out, otherwise you can't pull it out. The hooks' lines get caught on the scope adjustment knobs. However, as I rolled in the extra line, it slowly came together to a nice little storage setup. Now hold that thought.

The picture on Amazon shows a nice finish to the butt stock around the handle, like the original cap was placed back on. Not on the Ghost. All internals are exposed to the elements (and it's ugly...the deer would be offended to be shot by this monstrosity). The handle hangs down loosely, swinging back and forth. The handle grip spins and has a big potential to be squeeky (it was right out of the box). I really thought the handle could be secured into the stock. Nope! My next guess was that after you cock it, pull it back out, roll it back in, and store the hooks, you are supposed to remove the handle with the thumb screw until you need it again. This kinda defeats the original purpose of not carrying a rope.

Now back to where I said hold that thought. In order to get the hooks back out from their tidy storage spot, you have to give some slack and pull the hooks out. The line gets kinked behind the cover on the side of the butt stock. Long story short, it's a pain in the...

Now picture all this movement, noise, and frustration while loading or reloading in the woods, on a hunt. I will stick with the basic cocking rope. If you NEED this device because of physical limitations, it WILL do the job. But, don't expect it to be smooth, pretty, and quiet. I am returning this item and will save my money until Barnett comes out with a better designed cocking device specifically designed for the GHOST. The rope works just fine. Just make sure (if you don't know better) that you shorten the stock cocking rope. You can actually store the cocking rope loaded on the bow string ready to go if you adjust it to the right length.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Barnett Cranking Device for Penetrator 17031, November 19, 2011
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)
Barnett makes a great optional cranking devise (17031) for select crossbows. Penetrator is one of them even tho it is not listed on the site, but it says it on the actual box and fits.

Great quality, solid build and fitment.

Bought it for my Barnett Penetrator. With 175 LBS of pull weight on the Barnett Penetrator your gonna need it eventually.

Wax the strings on this devise as you would the strings on the cross bow and oil the moving parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crank Adds Ease and Accuracy, July 26, 2011
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)
Needed a little friend's help to install, but I am useless when it comes to mechanics. However, once installed, made cocking the crossbow a snap. Better yet, because it pulls evenly on the crossbow strings, it improved my accuracy greatly. Am able to hit quarter size circle at 15 years consistently and with lines in crossbow scope, feel confident shooting out to 30 yards. Others will probably be comfortable shooting further but don't hold my lack of skill against the product. Did not see any string fraying as some others cited. Would recommend it to anyone who needs any assistance cocking their crossbow. it should raise your confidence and accuracy as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for my Penetrator, August 14, 2012
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)
I purchased this so I can cock my Penetrator while in my treestand. Works perfect. Much easier then using a cocking rope. Took about 15 min or so to install. Make sure you use oil on moving parts and thread lock on all screws and dont forget to wax every 5 shots.

5.0 out of 5 stars barnett crank cocking device, November 1, 2011
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)
I bought this product to put on a barnett penetrator crossbow. It works extremely well and is easy to use.I would reccomend this device to anyone buying a barnett crossbow.Amazon makes it easy to find and order. Thank you Amzon

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, March 12, 2013
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)
I bought this for my barnett wildcat C5 crossbow and it fit perfectly into the built in slot on the back of the bow...I would definitely recommend this for anyone with a wildcat. It works great. Easy to install as long as you have some mechanical knowledge.

5.0 out of 5 stars aaaaawesoooome, April 14, 2012
This review is from: Barnett Crank Cocking Device (Sports)
i gotta tell ya very helpfull product easy to install easy to operate.This crossbow crank really is a great buy with me being dissabled it makes drawing the bow very easy on the body if your a shooter then you should know that constantly drawing back a croossbow by hand is hard on the fingers and body.
But with this simple to use device you can enjoy your crossbow shooting experience all day long without the wear and tear on yourself and if your disabled like myself it really makes your life easier and you can enjoy things that you thought were lost.I would recomend this product to anyone i can say that barnett means great usa quality thats for sure thanks to all the good people at barnett and amazon im able to enjoy shooting again thank you all.

Barnett Crank Cocking Device