5.0 out of 5 stars Great Practice Book
Published on June 25, 2011 by scorpio

3.0 out of 5 stars Text good and well organized - M/C Questions too hard
Published 23 months ago by Michael Goldman

3.0 out of 5 stars Text good and well organized - M/C Questions too hard, February 25, 2013
By way of background, I have an MA in math and have taught math in college and HS. I was helping my son in his AP Calc B/C class and thought if the Barron's Calc was as good as their AP Stat book it was the one to own. I usually would favor the prep book with the harder questions but these are way too hard. I couldn't even figure out some questions when I read the answers. Some of the questions aren't really answered, they just refer you to some section of the text which is usually not much help.

The text part is extremely well organized and explains some topics better than some $100 text books

You can get two released exams for both AB and B/C from the College Board Store. The CB also sells the M/C questions for both A/B and B/C for 6 years selected from 1968-1999 as a PDF. The FRQs are available for free download from the C/B's web site so you don't really need any FRQs from a prep book.

The Princeton Review version is pretty outdated for B/C but is fine for A/B in terms of M/C tests. It might be a tiny bit easier than the real thing but with all the options available from the C/B, you should have all you need with just PR and CB.

My son got 5's on both the A/B and B/C parts by doing all of the PR and 4 of the CB M/C questions for each of A/B and B/C. He did about 5 years worth of FRQ's before it got to the point where they were pretty easy. He is certainly bright enough but no math whiz and only got a C and B in his HS class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Practice Book, June 25, 2011
This review is from: Barron's AP Calculus (Paperback)
Even though Barrons is expected to be harder than the actual AP test, it was the best book to study from. The material on the AP test was similar to the questions from the book- including the long response. My teacher had our class finish the entire book since it was very efficient for practice. However, do not buy this book to only learn the material... it is great for quick reviews and practice. Good luck

5.0 out of 5 stars A 'must' for any preparing for the AP Calculus exam, July 18, 2010
The latest review tests - some eight full-length AP practice exams in all for Calculus AB and Calculus BC - offers the latest subjects and test topics and includes two full-length practice tests on CD-ROM. This does more than provide test structures: it offers extensive subject reviews of all test topics and calculus applications, making this a 'must' for any preparing for the AP Calculus exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars very good, July 4, 2013
This review is from: Barron's AP Calculus (Paperback)
when my family purchase item for AC tast. the book help her more. and more value to used .i think will help high school studen

2.0 out of 5 stars dont buy, May 6, 2012
This review is from: Barron's AP Calculus (Paperback)
this book was not that helpful, it did not separate the most important information for the course from all the extra information it provided

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, December 12, 2014
Excellent condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Everthing is good, February 23, 2013
This review is from: Barron's AP Calculus (Paperback)
My son's teacher suggested me to buy this book for my son. So I bought it. I got the book very quickly. My son felt that it is very useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what we needed, December 4, 2011
This review is from: Barron's AP Calculus (Paperback)
The book is in perfect condition and has been a tremendous help. I bought it as a second copy so the tutor could have her own copy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent Review, August 4, 2011
Rei (California) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barron's AP Calculus (Paperback)
I didn't take AP Calculus BC, so I can only speak for the AP Calculus AB students.

I actually didn't like this book because the questions are super difficult in comparison to the AP exam, and the answer explanations are only decent at best. Some students actually like practicing with harder questions because it'll make the actual exam look easy. However, there are errors in this book, which could make it even more frustrating.

However, I do agree that this book does provide the great multiple-choice practice questions in comparison to the other prep books out there. I didn't find the free-response questions as helpful. I also found the Princeton Review to be a great source for practice Calculus questions. If you can excel while doing these problems, you know you'll do excellent on the exam. I would still practice with actual released multiple-choice and free-response questions from the Collegeboard though. This book would be a good supplement to another prep book or a class, but it's hard to use it to self-study, if you're looking to do that. This book is better for students who are already good at Calculus. For those that are struggling and want to clarify concepts, look for another book.

I would also not use this book for the conceptual explanations though because it's a bit convoluted and unclear. The concepts are too textbook-like, and it could've been explained better, especially since students are looking for additional help when purchasing prep books. I found The Calculus Lifesaver: All the Tools You Need to Excel at Calculus (Princeton Lifesaver Study Guide) and the Peterson's guide to be more helpful for concepts.

3.0 out of 5 stars good notes and review but so HARD, May 2, 2011
This review is from: Barron's AP Calculus (Paperback)
Okay so, I was using this book for pretty long time and got really sad when I scored so low.
But when my teacher gave me 2008 and 2003 real AP exam it was so easier than this!
This book will discourage some students if they see this book before they see the real exam.
However, the notes and reviews are wonderful and neat.

Warning the test is actually easier according to 2008's test that I took.
Wish me luck on Wednesday's test!

Barron's AP Calculus
Barron's AP Calculus by David E. Bock (Paperback - February 1, 2010)
Used & New from: $1.90