5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a resource!, September 6, 2008
S. Siepel (Cincinnati, OH United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 2009 Barron's Profiles of American Colleges 28 Edition with CD-ROM (Paperback)
We are in the process of looking at colleges for our son. A friend recommended this book and I am so glad she did. The amount of information on thousands of colleges and universities is unbelievable. The CD that comes with the book really helps to narrow done your choices. On the CD you can enter different search catagories like: major, location, size of student body, cost, etc. The program then produces a list to fit your criteria.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barron's Is The Best!, January 13, 2009
It's been a few years since I graduated college but I needed to do some research on colleges for a book I recently wrote. I remember using Barron's many years ago but when I saw it on the bookstore shelf, it was like seeing an old friend. I looked at a couple of other reference books on colleges but this one was organized the best. It's amazing how much information there is at the beginning of the book before you even get to the individual colleges. Barron's organizes schools by tuition costs (from lowest to highest), by admissions competitiveness (Most Competitive to Noncompetitive), and it contains an index of majors. There's also a chart for median SAT and ACT scores for every school.

Once you actually get into the individual colleges, there's a ton of information, pretty much everything you would need to know without actually visiting the campus. I like how the states and colleges within each state are organized alphabetically which I would assume other reference guides would do but I'm not so sure. I think the only thing missing from this book are pictures of all of the campuses, but that would create a need for a Volume II. I haven't even used the CD that's included in the book but you can't go wrong using this great reference guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book of colleges, November 29, 2012
Grandma (Danbury, CT) - See all my reviews
It may be a few years old, but not that much has changed except cost. Great gift for a high school student to begin
thinking about colleges.

2009 Barron's Profiles of American Colleges 28 Edition with CD-ROM
2009 Barron's Profiles of American Colleges 28 Edition with CD-ROM by Barron's Educational Series (Paperback - July 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01