5.0 out of 5 stars A complete lifesaver.
Published on December 4, 2012 by abooksnmore

3.0 out of 5 stars Could of been better
I bought my Ap psychology book about 2 month before the Ap exam. Honestly, the book helped me review a lot and broke down things somewhat well. I gave this book 3 stars because other books are better. I have friends who bought other brands and they seemed to know more about psychology than i did. I thought Barron's would be the best review book but it actually depends on...
Published 6 months ago by Giselle

5.0 out of 5 stars A complete lifesaver., December 4, 2012
Okay, so I will make this short and concise. I am a Junior in high school, but I took AP Psychology as a Sophomore. I have to be honest, throughout the year I really did not pay attention in class. I studied for the tests and quizzes but forgot the material days after. I guess it was encoded in my short term memory (AP Psych nerd!)? Anyhow, the end of April arrived and I realized I wasn't ready for the test. I took a pretest exam before actually going over the Barron's, to see how much I knew, and, not surprisingly, I didn't know a heck of a lot. I bought the Barron's, and started using it as soon as I received it. I started highlighting and making annotations. I did this for a full week, and read for about 3-4 hours every day during that week. It got to a point where I actually enjoyed the material in the book; the author(s) made it fun to read and many times they even included humor and personal experiences that related to certain psychological terms.

After I read the book for about a week, I took 3 actual released AP Psychology tests from College Board (you can buy these on the College Board website). In all of the tests, I never missed more than 5 questions. I was surprised and impressed. I actually knew the material. When the AP Exam came, I breezed through the test! I finished the exam and still had 10 minutes left! That's something you don't see a lot in an AP exam.

July came, and I was excited to get my score. I was worried, too. However, when I saw my score report, I wasn't worried anymore. I got a 5 in my AP Psychology exam.

This is what I call, the Psychble (the Psychology Bible). With this, I guarantee that you will receive a 4 or a 5 in the test. That is, if you read it, of course. That's coming from a student!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Prep Book, July 1, 2012
This review is from: Barron's AP Psychology, 5th Edition (Barron's AP Psychology Exam) (Paperback)
My daughter bought this book the beginning of the year she was going to take the AP Psychology class. Her plan was to use it as a resource in addition to her teachers notes and the textbook. The book is very thorough and explains concepts in an easy manner. Whenever she had a hard time with a concept she would read the corresponding chapter in the Barron's book and that really helped her. It was her teachers first year teaching AP Psychology, so he wasn't very good at teaching the subject and there was a lot of concepts that the class did not cover by the time of the AP exam. She spent 3 days completely memorizing this book, and because she had already been reading it throughout the year, it was easier to understand. She also bought the AP Psychology Barron's flashcards, which were basically as same as the book, but it was an easy way to visualize the information and test the knowledge. She felt she had done well on the exam and when AP results came in, she got a 5 on the exam! It is an excellent prep book and works great in unison with the classroom textbook and notes. I would recommend it to everyone who wants to get a 5 on the exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars All You Need, June 8, 2012
Prabha Gopinath (Minnetonka, MN USA) - See all my reviews
I used this book to self study for the AP Psychology exam. While the scores have not been sent out, I feel that this book was really quite good at preparing me. If you use it in tandem with the Barron's flashcards, almost all of the topics that show up on the actual exam will be covered. The practice exams are also very realistic. Even if you haven't taken the actual class, this book will help you pass the AP exm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for AP Reviewing, July 12, 2012
I used this during my month of studying for the AP test. It's like my Psychology book was condensed into a few pages that were easy to read and understand. The tests at the end of the book helped as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, January 27, 2013
I like this book for detailed concepts. This book was recommended to me by my friends. They loved thiis book and got good grades

5.0 out of 5 stars It's what it says it is, May 14, 2013
It's a review book that gives you the nitty gritty of what you need to pass the test. It's a great refresher for those who are actually in the class and goes by quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prepares well for AP Exam, May 12, 2013
Having not tried other review books as points of comparison, I cannot say Barron's is the best. However, I can attest to the fact that it is a fantastic preparation tool for the official AP Psychology Exam. I used this book to study instead of sifting through my text book again and felt like I was breezing through the test after doing so. No psychology textbook can hope to cover everything that could appear on the exam, but using this review book after taking the course will probably fill in any gaps in understanding. It includes no information that you definitely won't need to know, explains concepts thoroughly, and highlights the information most relevant to the exam. The guide includes a list of the most important studies and researchers, many of which actually appeared on the exam, and there were several questions that I only knew the answer to because I used the practice tests provided in this review book. The greatest benefit of these practice tests (of which there are three, one diagnostic and two real) is that they are a little tougher than the actual exam questions, so if you do well on them you know you're prepared for the real thing. It's also good just to have a perspective on psychology other than the one you've been studying all year from your textbook's author. I'd say using a review book like this for psychology gives you the best shot at a 5 on the exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT review book AND book/notes companion, September 4, 2013
This is everything you need. I was the only sophomore that took this course last year (currently a junior) and I just got my results back in July, and I got a 5!!!! I pretty much had a 98/99 average for the year (we took it as a full year course- it's technically a half year course i guess?, had a GREAT teacher (we learned everything in this review book, so I can attest to the fact that this, if well learned/reviewed, has the likelihood to earn you a 5), read my text book, but I probably could have gotten a 4/5 with just this book (like self study). On test day I felt like I practically had the test memorized!

One MAJOR THING is that I DID NOT take any practice tests or essays from this guide. This is purely based on the information in the book (but the 10 or so questions after each chapter I did).

I feel that studying for the essays with ONLY this book will really hinder you. This is PERFECT for multiple choice and the essay TERMS (Essays are pretty much using specific terms in a hypothetical situation or experiment), but if you REALLY WANT A 5 you MUUUUUUST go on the college board web site, get all of the past test essays(40-ish?) and try to do as many as possible. This is what we did in class along with taking a lot of great notes.

LONG STORY SHORT

- PERFECT for essay terms and all of the multiple choice
- IFFY (possibly) on the practice tests and essays.
- Do at least 10 of the past essays from the college board site over the year (timed like the test) and get your teacher to grade it and give you tips on it.

Definitely recommend.

If you need any study tips/particular questions about the book or flashcards (I also bought the matching flashcards) COMMENT and I'll try to answer them (It's been a few months since I've had the course so bear with me)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for anyone who wants to do well on ap exam, July 6, 2013
I highly recommend this book because it has a lot of good information quickly summarized. I also liked how there were multiple choice reviews at the end of each chapter along with full length tests. It took me about one week of good studying to look through and memorize the key information, and by the time the ap exam came around I felt confident and ready. Needless to say I got a 5 on the exam with the help of this book. I would recommend this to anyone whether taking the exam or not, as it is a good supplement to help with taking the class.

5.0 out of 5 stars Significantly marked my self-studying for the AP exam, May 11, 2013
This text was my primary tool for self-study for the AP exam, recommended to me by a friend who used it for 6 hours and yet got a 4 the prior year. I managed to recognize significant portions of the material on the exam from my neer-memorization of the book. From my experience with AP review books, I would conclude that this is one of the better books out there; this book could even be the best one for the AP Psychology exam, as my friend specifically said.

Barron's AP Psychology, 5th Edition  (Barron's AP Psychology Exam)
Barron's AP Psychology, 5th Edition (Barron's AP Psychology Exam) by Allyson J. Weseley (Paperback - February 1, 2012)
Used & New from: $0.03