Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on December 26, 2008
Before I purchased this dictionary I had only a paperback pocket dictionary, but because I was getting more serious about Spanish, I purchased this. It is a full-length dictionary, with a thin but durable, glossy-coated cover. The dictionary goes both ways -- Spanish to English and English to Spanish. It has all the phonetic symbols and pronunciation, along with extras: verb conjugation, prefixes and suffixes, etc. I find two things particularly valuable. One is the examples, included with the definitions, that illustrate Spanish usage, language structure, and idioms. The other is the indicators of regional variation. So often, a Spanish speaker does not understand a dictionary word because it may be used only in certain countries/regions. The Barron's dictionary translates "straw" as "pajita," "popote," or "pitillo," but it indicates the Mexican version is "popote." So, I have used this word in my conversations with some Spanish-speaking people of Mexican descent in the United States when I mean "straw," and it works just fine.
VINE VOICEon March 19, 2011
This is a small dictionary, literally. It's much smaller than a regular paperback dictionary. But, what it lacks in size is very easily made up for in so many ways!

First, tackling the issue of size... bigger is not always better. I teach middle school Spanish. At this age, my students aren't certain if Spanish is a language they're going to continue to study. They do, however, need resources to which they can turn. This is the dictionary that I recommend they consider purchasing. It's small and easily portable in girls' purses, or for guys to carry around. It doesn't weigh down their already overstuffed backpacks. Plus, I can see that this would make a nice travel dictionary.

The next feature that I love about this is the word selection. It's extremely well-done and pertinent to the way in which we really speak. Most of the more common words can be found here, without all of the excessive, rarely used stuff that normally fills dictionaries. Along with the word selection, the fact that nouns are labeled with the part of speech as "n." instead of "s." helps my students, but, it's having the gender also labeled that truly makes it priceless. Imagine my surprise when the dictionaries I inherited for my students only labeled the nouns as "s." without the gender being mentioned at all!

These dictionaries are also affordable, as well. If a student hasn't truly decided which language he or she will study, then the $9.00 price tag is very reasonable. Dictionaries can cost several times as much. In the long run, it's not a dictionary that will support their continued language study, but for a beginner or a traveler, I'd highly recommend this one.

Lastly, the dictionary is encased in a plastic slipcover to protect it. I put two of these in with the rest of my classroom dictionaries and they are the only two that I have that have not yet had the cover ripped off. So, I'm thinking that they rate pretty high on the durability scale as well. Because of all of these features, I have given several of these out as gifts to students each term. I think they're all as pleased with them as I am.
on May 5, 2013
I have a small nephew who just recently found out that people speak differently from himself. At the time we were at the National Zoo in Washington DC, when he heard somebody speaking another language other than English. He was fascinated. I explained to him that there are many different people, that speak many different languages. So now when he hears a foreign word, he asks, "Uncle Bill What does that mean? Or he asks, How do you say this word in French, Spanish or German." I open my Spanish dictionary and I look up the word and the question is answered. I love the Barron's Foreign Language Guides. They are very easy to read and they have many more entries that other foreign language dictionaries. Thank you for a wonderful product.
on July 13, 2015
I am currently in a Spanish language school in Guatemala, and purchased this book prior to coming here. I contemplated getting a Kindle dictionary, and also looked at reviews for other paper dictionaries. After using this book regularly for four weeks, I have found nothing to make me disappointed with my choice. It has outperformed some other pocket dictionaries here. Every word, or idiomatic expression, that I needed was there. I am also happy with the plastic cover; despite frequent use, and being tossed into a backpack daily, the book still appears new. For those looking specifically for a pocket dictionary, this is a perfect choice! (I am about a 2nd year Spanish student, so I don't know how the dictionary would perform for an advanced student)
on September 9, 2012
I started Spanish last year and was required to get this book along with another one and I have to say that even if it wasn't required I would still get it. The words have color and a nice font to them which brings them off the page. There are helpful tips in the front and back of the book. The book is divided into two sections: one that goes from Spanish to English and English to Spanish and in between there is a grammar section. This book has helped me in homework and study in more ways than one!

If anyone needs any information about the book, just leave a comment and I would be more than happy to help!
on June 30, 2009
If you visit South American you need a book that translates English for that region. Spanish varies tremendously by territory. My wife speaks Spanish and can understand Spanish spoken in Mexico, Puerto Rico, Spain but she is lost in New Mexico, Argentina and Chile. Get the right book for where you will be.
on January 5, 2012
Unlike the Oxford and Vox dictionaries, this is a complete but easy-to-carry guide to everyday Latin American Spanish reading and conversation. It includes words and explanations missing from the otherwise-excellent Learn in Your Car: Complete Language Course: Spanish.
on January 28, 2015
It's OK. Better than some, not as good as The New World Spanish/English, English/Spanish Dictionary by Salvatore Ramondino. And if you are REALLY serious, you need the Velazquez Spanish and English Dictionary (Spanish Edition) (Spanish) by Mariano Velazquez De LA Cadena (Author), Edward Gray (Author), Juan L. Iribas (Author)
on January 1, 2012
Handy pocket-size dictionary for when the occasion or need arises. It'll work for you. Despite the availability of expensive calculator models with x no. of words, (of which I use to own one,) this pocket dictionary is what I wanted and chose to buy instead.
on June 2, 2014
This book is very comprehensive and also easy to use. It is quite thick though and not as easy to pack around as you might think. I think this is a small inconvenience though and not enough to make one avoid buying it. Inconvenience does not outweigh the content which is awesome.