5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid book for self-preparation
This book contain valuable material that not only gives a student an idea of what exam is actually about but really helps to improve the score. It does not replace a regular textbook or a good teacher, but still can help a lot. It is better tool for preparation to the math part of SAT then any general "all-in-one" SAT preparation book.

The book contains 18...
Published on May 30, 2008 by kievite

3.0 out of 5 stars TOO Detailed
My recommendation:
If you're a math person, this is the book for you.
If you're not a math person, do not get this book (unless you have a ton of time on your hands; and as long as you don't get too down on yourself when you're receiving 100-150 lower on practice tests than you will on the real thing)

Going into the real exam, I figured I was going to...
Published on December 19, 2008 by R. Kemp

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid book for self-preparation, May 30, 2008
kievite (Budd Lake, NJ) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barron's SAT Subject Test Math Level 1 (Paperback)

The book contains 18 chapters which cover most topics well and three model tests. Those tests are very important preparation tools and are well worth the money.

Chapter 2: "Tactics" is a really valuable chapter. It covers eight very useful approaches to solving SAP math problems. Exercises (with solutions) are good and as far as I can tell are pretty realistic. Three model tests are the real strong point of the book. Each of them is worth the price of the book alone.

Shortcomings are few. IMHO ideas of chapter 2 are not sufficiently reinforced in other chapters. The geometry section can (and should) be enlarged as this topic usually creates for student the most problems.

Also topics are treated as isolated without pointing to bridges between them (for example between trigonometry and geometrical problems).

Some neat tricks possible because a graphic calculator is allowed on the test (and it is IMHO a must ) are not covered. This is an area that needs another book and a lot of dedicated self-study as few high schools use it. Usage of HP graphic calculator can improve your results considerably. But the problem is that you need to master it. Other things equal it is better to use the calculator that you know well and get used to.

Highly recommended as an additional book to a good "all-in-one" SAT preparation book because math part of the test is the most important and most difficult part of SAT test. It can help to improve the score and at the same time save the family some money if (and only if) the student has adequate motivation to study himself/herself.

3.0 out of 5 stars TOO Detailed, December 19, 2008
My recommendation:
If you're a math person, this is the book for you.

Going into the real exam, I figured I was going to get around a 650 because I had miserably failed all of Barron's tests. Luckily, I am not a nervous person going into exams, but if I was, I would have been VERY nervous about this test because Barron's terrified me. Not being a math guru, I did not understand some parts of this book initially. It certainly covered all the topics, but I think it went too detailed into some parts--distracting from the main points. I was very happy to get my 720. I am sure my relatively high score was due to my becoming accustomed to the difficult material in Barron's.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Comprehensive, June 7, 2008
This review is from: Barron's SAT Subject Test Math Level 1 (Paperback)
Covers all the topics of the Math I, I just took it today and this Math book sufficiently prepared me for the questions I faced. As with all Barron's books the questions the questions in this were harder, so I was relieved as compared to the Math I test. The chapter reviews are very helpful and it dicusses each topic, although some are rarely even tested, this is a full comprehensive guide, and possibly one of the best guides you can purchase. If only I had had enough time to complete the entire book, it is a very helpful teaching and reference guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful Study Tool, October 5, 2008
This review is from: Barron's SAT Subject Test Math Level 1 (Paperback)
I used this book in conjunction with the Kaplan Mathematics IC and IIC study guide and the Real SAT Subject Tests and I thought it worked really well. The tests in this book are invaluable and though a bit hard, give very good preparation for the test.

I just took the Math IC test yesterday and I didn't encounter any questions I didn't know so that to me says this book was a success.

3.0 out of 5 stars Eh..so-so, June 26, 2009
This review is from: Barron's SAT Subject Test Math Level 1 (Paperback)
I did every practice question that review book had to offer, and then some. I was hoping for something in the 700s, but, of course, I just missed the mark by 10 pts. 690. A so-so review book. I would recommend purchasing the book of released exams by college board because the practice tests in the back of the Barron's is inaccurate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Helpful!, July 5, 2009
This review is from: Barron's SAT Subject Test Math Level 1 (Paperback)
This was a very helpful book when I sat down to study for my SAT math 1 subject test. Each chapter is very detailed and includes example questions, explanations, and practice questions. There are also full practice tests in the back of the book, which really helps when trying to get acquainted with pacing and time. This book was a great success overall, and I really recommend it for anyone wanting to take the math 1 SAT subject test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, November 28, 2011
Great book, easy and fast to go through yet with the good amount of challenge in order to swiftly complete the actual tests. Much better content wise and revision than the college board one. Tests are harder than the actual tests though this probably ends up benefiting you.. Get it!

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent book., June 22, 2011
I'm not crazy about the organization of this book or the presentation of the material, but it got me a 700

1.0 out of 5 stars Overpreparation to a level of being useless, October 24, 2010
Barron's is considered a solid book, but truly it's just a waste of time.
I used four different books to prep for this test. Barrons by far was the hardest, and not because it is best preparing you, but because it is preparing you for stuff much much more difficult than the real test, for stuff not even on the test!
The organization of the explanations etc are poor, and I'm really disappointed in this book.
The practice tests do not represent the real test at all!
I used the college board book and took the actual test. It is very different.
I recommend the Princeton Review and the college board book.
Don't buy this one.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Waste Your Money on This., March 5, 2011
I just received this book and it is a waste of money. I would not have bought it, except because of the free shipping I got half of it paid for by going over $25 on another book.

I am helping my daughters prepare for the SAT and I wanted some more practice problems to work, so I got this.

I have an old copy of Barron's "How to Prepare for the SAT I" test prep guide I bought from Amazon's sister used book company. It is a far better buy than this test prep book. First of all, they have all of the same test tips, and many of the same example problems; so by buying the regular SAT prep guide you get all the same math information, three times the problems to solve, and all the info on the English part of the exam including an excellent list of 3000 words with short definitions. Second of all the type in this book is huge, the margins take up one third of the page and the answers are listed up and down. In other words, half of each page is blank space.

I would return it if the shipping did not cost me so much.

If you are looking for extra problems to use for the SAT, look somewhere else.

Barron's SAT Subject Test Math Level 1
Barron's SAT Subject Test Math Level 1 by Ira K. Wolf (Paperback - January 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01