5.0 out of 5 stars Delivery problems....
Just downloaded the "9/20" edition and got the cover, but a complete deja vu copy of the 9/13 issue instead of this week's. Delivery here is not ready for prime time.
Published on September 19, 2010 by hm austin

3.0 out of 5 stars They will not leave you alone
I tried the two week free trial and really enjoyed the magazine. I would like the convenience of reading it on the Kindle, but 10.99 per month is too expensive. I'm thinking about subscribing directly to the online version at $79 per year.

Published on November 7, 2009 by William Underwood

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars They will not leave you alone, November 7, 2009
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)

1/30/10 update: I just subscribed to an offer in the mail for $52 for the online and print editions for a year. I suspect that I got this offer because I signed up for the free trial and then cancelled.

6/29/12 update: I cancelled the subscription about a year ago. The company has been making annoying daily phone calls to my house to get me to resubscribe. We have repeatedly said that we weren't interested. We finally gave up and blocked the phone number.

2.0 out of 5 stars Buggy, Bad Formatting and No Barrons.com Web Access, November 1, 2010
M. Krohn (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)
I've experienced multiple bugs when reading Barron's issues on my Kindle. Sometimes advancing to a "page of death" in the issue is enough to cause the issue to become unopenable until the issue is downloaded again -- inconvenient when on the subway to say the least. I routinely notice HTML encoding bugs (e.g., "S& amp;& amp;& amp; & amp; & amp; P 500"). The formatting is often poor, with missing line breaks or section headings making interviews difficult to parse. The graphics, charts and figures are usually illegible; they're not sized properly to view on the Kindle. Unlike a paper subscription, a Barron's Kindle subscription does not entitle you to use the Barron's website. As of a few months ago, customer service informed me such an option (Kindle + Web) was not available.

As for the content, let me briefly comment that when Barron's writes on sectors that I know pretty well (technology / Internet), I am sometimes struck by the shoddiness of the reporting --- competitors they forgot to mention, bad understanding of the business at hand, failure to ask key questions. I often worry that sectors I know less about (let's just say everything else) are getting the same treatment.

2.0 out of 5 stars Frequent delivery problems., August 14, 2010
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)
When it works, the Kindle edition is a perfectly pleasant way to read the magazine, especially if it's the commentary and not the tables you're after. Trouble is, it often doesn't work. I've subscribed for about four months and I've either received very late delivery (meaning several hours after I complained) or incomplete delivery (a partial edition with just a few articles and no functional index) on at least half a dozen occasions. That's a pretty high failure rate. Buyer beware.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quality Writing, but Overpriced with Poor Formatting, September 11, 2010
vix "Vix" (Long Island, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)
Barron's has fantastic, thoughtful and often insightful articles and interviews. However, the formatting of the Kindle Edition content is often poor, meaning that graphs, charts and other graphics are often too small to read or not aligned properly. Also, subscriptions for the print edition with internet access included are available for close to half the price on a yearly basis. I hope Dow Jones & Company takes note and makes some adjustments...then they will be on their way to a five-star review, in my opinion.

3.0 out of 5 stars The Price of Convenience, November 17, 2009
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)
This is a decent publication to keep you up to date on the markets. The timeliness of the issue and availability of instant data is the reason I only give it 3 stars. I believe it is becoming less relevant each year, unless you are so out of touch that you don't have access to a computer...and some people are, which is fine. Others, like myself, don't care about the numbers and read it for the articles. By and large, however, it isn't so riveting that I feel bad when I don't get to it by week's end.

The price concerns me since I subscribed to the print version last year for $50/year. I will not purchase the Kindle edition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivery problems...., September 19, 2010
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)

1.0 out of 5 stars Barrons shows up Amazon Kindle distribution errors, March 26, 2010
abulaafia (Taipei, Taiwan) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)
Like no other publication on Amazon, the new Barron's shows up the idiocy and greed of Amazon's international Kindle distribution model. Amazon charges international users of the Kindle about USD 2 for every item delivered, allegedly to cover 3G charges. But nowhere in the world does the download of 181 KB (latest Barron's edition) cost USD 2. Where I live, the cost is USD 0.03. I'd happily pay that to Amazon.

To make things worse, and ridiculously so, Amazon removes pictures and graphs from publications to save on wireless delivery cost. In Barron's, that means a segment called "CHARTING THE MARKET" ... with NO charts! Accompanying text is there, with direct references to the charts, but the charts are not delivered. No other publication makes Amazon's greedy wireless model look more obviously idiotic.

As for the publication itself: it contains fewer articles than the print edition and no graphics. It has the same shortcomings as the print publication: USA-centric shortsightedness, frequent factual errors especially about non-USA issues, illiberal slant to policy discussions, lack of grounded research. But it is no worse then the tree-killing cousin.

2.0 out of 5 stars What? E-reader cannot read the fine print tables?, September 19, 2012
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)
OK I have been reading Barron's since the 70's on and off, depending on how obsessed I was with the stock market. Barron's may not make you rich, but it may keep you from making a really dumb mistake such as buying Facebook at the IPO.
The problem is that on my Kindle E-reader, the text is nicely variable but the tables are illegible. And of course, the tables are where your brain wants to go to see the details side by side. In fact, there are none of the huge data lists that occur in the print version.
OK so if I am going to only get the article-text out of the Barron's, it should run at a discount to the print version. But at 10.99 a month, where is the discount?
I really do like my E-reader, and really do like Barron's, but the way Barron's is served up on my b/w Kindle is not worth paying 11 bucks for. It might be worth 5 bucks a month, just for the timely delivery on Saturday morning.
I will have to try some other mags like IBD I guess.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rediculous price, December 24, 2012
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)
Not worth the price with all the charts taken out. You can get Barrons online for less. All of the Amazon kindle books are getting too expensive. Pricing themselves out of business.

1.0 out of 5 stars No statistics, September 6, 2012
This review is from: Barron's (Kindle Edition)
The electronic edition has all of the articles but NONE of the statistics of the print edition. If you don't want statistics the electronic version is great, but it ought to be discounted.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Barron's
Barron's by Dow Jones & Company, Inc.
$10.99