5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!
Update June 2014: After almost 3 years, this adapter is still going strong. I'm still using this and I like it so much I'm thinking of getting another one so I don't have to switch it back and forth.

--------------------

Published on August 30, 2011 by John B. Goode

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what the other reviewers made it to be
I'm a bit disappointed with my purchase of the Baraska bino tripod adaptor. I made my purchase based heavily on the reviewer who said it felt like anodized aluminum (and/or it had a heft and texture to it that made it feel very high quality).

Published on January 26, 2009 by A. Colace

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, August 30, 2011

--------------------

Mine just came in the mail today and I can equivocally say that mine is made of metal and is not flimsy. The top 2 reviews here who say theirs is made of plastic are dated from 2009 so it's possible that in 2009, the Barska tripod adapter was made of plastic, but in August 2011, the Barska tripod adapter bought from Amazon is made of metal.

It is a very nice tripod adapter, very sturdy and solid. It looks bigger than in the picture and is more than 4 inches tall. It's made of metal, probably aluminum because I tested it with a magnet and it's not magnetic. I tried it on two tripods and two binocs and it fits well on all 4 items. For the price Amazon is selling it at right now, it's a steal. You can't get any other tripod, metal, at this price - I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A detailed description, all metal tripod adapter, July 17, 2014
Errol (Trinidad West Indies) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor (Electronics)
Yep this is really all metal, except the knob to attach the binoculars which is a solid plastic or rubber and all metal threaded screws, it is very sturdy and strong. Received it in great condition July 16, 2014.

After inspecting the tripod adapter it really seems to be made with as one person said in his review "pot metal". The underside has a rubber pad seated within a countersunk area of the base and its flush so that it will not scratch the tripod attachment surface. If dealt a severe blow with a hammer or something similar across the shaft it will snap and not bend.

The full length from the bottom of the base to the top of the knob that tightens to the binoculars is exactly 4 1/8 inch long.
The thickness at its thinnest point along the shaft is 5/16 inch and 1/2 inch at its thickest close to the base.
The width of the shaft at the top is 7/8 inch going down to the bottom it widens to 1 1/4 inch.
The base is 1/4 inch thick and triangular, at its widest on the base 1 1/4 inch and narrowest 3/4 inch.
If you were to measure from the bottom of the base to the top of the screw its exactly 3 7/8 inch vertical.
The knob is 3/4 inch thick and 3/4 inch long. The screw is 1/4 - 20 thread
The hole to screw the adapter onto the tripod is 1 inch deep and 1/4 - 20 thread. I took a toothpick and measured it to determine the depth of the threaded hole.
The extended thread on the knob to attach the tripod adapter to a binoculars is exactly 1/4 inch long.

When attached to the Celestron 15x70 Binoculars its very strong and firm.

All in all its a great buy for me. Its definitely stronger than the tripod adapter supplied with the 15x70 Binoculars. Take a look at the images I've uploaded.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy Mount, March 14, 2013
This review is from: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor (Electronics)
Got this to replace the mount that came with my Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 binoculars. These are, indeed, made of solid metal and sturdy enough to work with heavy binoculars. Well worth the money for a stable image.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not what the other reviewers made it to be, January 26, 2009
A. Colace (Palo Alto, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor (Electronics)

Well, either that review was an outright fabrication, or they didn't purchase this tripod adaptor. This thing is unmistakably made of plastic and is not textured at all and is not particularly solid. To elaborate a bit on this, it is made of hollow form plastic that is about 3-4 mm thick. It uses the extruded form to try to give it some strength but this is a cheap adaptor - It only cost 8 or 9 [..] - probably worth more like 3 or 4 but, heck, at this level it's about the same.

I wish I had purchased one of the solid aluminum adaptors which are available for under $20. This one moves and causes your binos to oscillate (as expected with plastic) if you touch your face/forehead/whatever to your bino's eye piece during viewing. Very frustrating.

Again, I guess I thought I was getting a bargain when I bought this based on the the other positive reviews, but instead I got what I paid for - oh well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but for the price it's great., January 31, 2012
David Zemke "Dave" (San Mateo, CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor (Electronics)
I don't understand the people that disparage this product. For $11 what do you expect? I still think it's a great deal. It feels substantial, like it's made of metal (aluminum, maybe?). It affixes to my tripod easily, and my only complaint (-1 star) is that it allows the binoculars to move axially around the screw (that attaches to the binoculars) if you twist them a bit. However, for the $11 that I paid I can go out and get a star washer for $.05 at the local hardware store to fix that. I'm very happy with my purchase overall!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real one from Barska., June 29, 2011
This review is from: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor (Electronics)
I bought from the Barska website. They were having a sale. Around 8 bucks with 6 something shipping, under 15 total.
Made of METAL, as advertised. I screwed it onto my Gladiator 10-30x50, and when I disconnected it, I can see bare metal where it wore some of the flocking off. So it is some kind of cast metal. I can see a small casting spot just below the screw. Also, it feels cold to the touch. Like metal should.

So if you want the real deal, go to the websight.

4.0 out of 5 stars So far, so good, November 29, 2010
This review is from: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor (Electronics)
I had bought this for my roommate as a birthday present, in combination with a moderately priced tripod off this site. He has a Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binocular which is a pretty hefty beast. But, with the metallic design of this adapter, he held it up pretty well so far on the tripod. We have tried it a couple times with the new tripod on our roof, and so far, no wobbling factor which gives credit to its sturdy metallic build. So, I'm quite satisfied with the purchase so far.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barska Binocular Tripod Adaptor, November 27, 2008
This review is from: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor (Electronics)
This is heavy plastic, not metal. It is very solid. I like the finish. This is a good choice if you are looking for a tripod adapter.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as shown, December 27, 2009
G. Slusher (Eugene, Oregon) - See all my reviews
This review is from: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor (Electronics)
I ordered this directly from Amazon, so this review applies only to the item they sell. Other sellers may sell a different item.

The adapter I received was NOT the one shown in the photo. It was in a Barska box, but the shape was different. It didn't even match the picture on the box! The "real" Barska adapter should have a T-shaped cross-section, with the crossbar on the T closest to the binoculars. Instead, the one I received had a H-shaped cross-section, like many other molded plastic adapters. The upright arm was also narrower than shown. Altogether, it was quite different. Also, the screw was too long--it bottomed out in the socket on my Barska binoculars (Yes, same brand as the adapter was supposed to be)--I wouldhave had to use some sort of washer to take up the additional length.

I don't know what happened. It's possible that Barska changed the design but didn't change the box & photo, but it's also possible that there was some sort of misrepresentation involved, perhaps on the part of the vendor who sold the adapters to Amazon.

1.0 out of 5 stars tripod adapter totally different from the sample displayed, March 3, 2009
This review is from: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor (Electronics)
totally disappinted with my purchase. the box and packaging that came with it showed the same model displayed here but the adapter inside was a totally different model! Some cheapo and flimsy adapter. Ridiculous.. to cheat buyers this way.. BUYERS BEWARE. i would return this damn thing if i could

BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor