Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BARSKA Binocular Tripod Adaptor
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on July 17, 2014
Yep this is really all metal, except the knob to attach the binoculars which is a solid plastic or rubber and all metal threaded screws, it is very sturdy and strong. Received it in great condition July 16, 2014.

After inspecting the tripod adapter it really seems to be made with as one person said in his review "pot metal". The underside has a rubber pad seated within a countersunk area of the base and its flush so that it will not scratch the tripod attachment surface. If dealt a severe blow with a hammer or something similar across the shaft it will snap and not bend.

The full length from the bottom of the base to the top of the knob that tightens to the binoculars is exactly 4 1/8 inch long.
The thickness at its thinnest point along the shaft is 5/16 inch and 1/2 inch at its thickest close to the base.
The width of the shaft at the top is 7/8 inch going down to the bottom it widens to 1 1/4 inch.
The base is 1/4 inch thick and triangular, at its widest on the base 1 1/4 inch and narrowest 3/4 inch.
If you were to measure from the bottom of the base to the top of the screw its exactly 3 7/8 inch vertical.
The knob is 3/4 inch thick and 3/4 inch long. The screw is 1/4 - 20 thread
The hole to screw the adapter onto the tripod is 1 inch deep and 1/4 - 20 thread. I took a toothpick and measured it to determine the depth of the threaded hole.
The extended thread on the knob to attach the tripod adapter to a binoculars is exactly 1/4 inch long.

When attached to the Celestron 15x70 Binoculars its very strong and firm.

All in all its a great buy for me. Its definitely stronger than the tripod adapter supplied with the 15x70 Binoculars. Take a look at the images I've uploaded.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
TOP 500 REVIEWERon August 30, 2011
Update June 2014: After almost 3 years, this adapter is still going strong. I'm still using this and I like it so much I'm thinking of getting another one so I don't have to switch it back and forth.

--------------------

Mine just came in the mail today and I can equivocally say that mine is made of metal and is not flimsy. The top 2 reviews here who say theirs is made of plastic are dated from 2009 so it's possible that in 2009, the Barska tripod adapter was made of plastic, but in August 2011, the Barska tripod adapter bought from Amazon is made of metal.

It is a very nice tripod adapter, very sturdy and solid. It looks bigger than in the picture and is more than 4 inches tall. It's made of metal, probably aluminum because I tested it with a magnet and it's not magnetic. I tried it on two tripods and two binocs and it fits well on all 4 items. For the price Amazon is selling it at right now, it's a steal. You can't get any other tripod, metal, at this price - I highly recommend it.
on January 31, 2012
I don't understand the people that disparage this product. For $11 what do you expect? I still think it's a great deal. It feels substantial, like it's made of metal (aluminum, maybe?). It affixes to my tripod easily, and my only complaint (-1 star) is that it allows the binoculars to move axially around the screw (that attaches to the binoculars) if you twist them a bit. However, for the $11 that I paid I can go out and get a star washer for $.05 at the local hardware store to fix that. I'm very happy with my purchase overall!
on March 14, 2013
Got this to replace the mount that came with my Celestron SkyMaster Giant 15x70 binoculars. These are, indeed, made of solid metal and sturdy enough to work with heavy binoculars. Well worth the money for a stable image.
on August 8, 2015
Just tried this out. Blows away the Celestron metal tripod adapter -- which still had twist & wobble but not as much as the plastic one. This BARSKA is rock solid and doesn't twist/wobble at all.

Attached is a photo comparing the two. You can see how much thicker the BARSKA (on the left) is compared to the Celestron (right).
review image
on June 29, 2011
I bought from the Barska website. They were having a sale. Around 8 bucks with 6 something shipping, under 15 total.
Made of METAL, as advertised. I screwed it onto my Gladiator 10-30x50, and when I disconnected it, I can see bare metal where it wore some of the flocking off. So it is some kind of cast metal. I can see a small casting spot just below the screw. Also, it feels cold to the touch. Like metal should.

So if you want the real deal, go to the websight.
on May 22, 2016
I have a pair of Celestron 25x70 binoculars. They are 3 lbs and HEAVY! So the plastic tripod adapter that came with the binos was okay but not very solid. So, I purchased the CELESTRON Metal Binocular Adapter but I HATED the FLAT screw and it could NEVER get it snug enough to the binoculars.

The Barska adapter is PERFECT. It is ALL METAL, the SCREW HEAD is LARGE and coated with RUBBER. The adapter is nice and tight when it is attached to my Celestron 25x70 binoculars. So much so, there is no shifting or wobbling at the point of contact as there was with the Celestron Adapter.
review image review image
on December 21, 2014
A month or so ago I purchased a set of Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 astronomical binoculars. The binoculars come with a fairly flimsy tripod adapter so you can attach these4 large binoculars to a camera tripod to steady them when viewing. The Celestron adapter is made of plastic and wobbles when they have the binoculars attached to them making them almost useless. So after reading the reviews for the all metal Barska tripod adapter I placed my order for one and it arrived today.

It is indeed all metal (except for the screw knob to attach it to the binoculars. For the price it seems to be very well made. It attached easily to my old tripod and was _much_ better than what came from Celestron. The larger knob was much easier to grasp and turn to attach the adapter to the binoculars and they held the binoculars steady without any wobble. What motion you do have, however, is the tilt (yaw) of the binoculars which is not a problem as it does allow you to angle them to suit your needs. I also attached it to my new monopod and it was perfect for what I wish to use it for. I am very happy with this purchase.
on October 10, 2014
It looks sturdy enough, and I'm sure it would do the job. If it fit. The thread on this adapter is 1/4-20 and it turns out the socket thread on my Barska Blackhawk 9 X 63 is not. The binocular socket has a finer thread, more like 1/4-28 or, more likely, a 6mm metric thread that's close to 1/4-25.4. The result is it jams about halfway in. There's nothing in the product listing, or even on the Barska web site that suggests this wasn't a match. (It's possible it will fit the current models - I did buy mine quite a few years ago - but I would suggest checking with a 1/4-20 bolt before you buy.)

I'm deducting two stars for lack of information, but giving it three because it appears to be a sturdy, well built adapter. which would work well for other brands, and some of the Barskas - just not mine. (And, I happen to have a 1/4-20 tap which I can use to "encourage" a reasonable thread match up - it's not like there is anything else I'd screw into that socket.)

One last minor quibble: As others have pointed out, it can be a bit tight, especially on the Blackhawk with their larger tubes.
on November 22, 2014
I use this adapter for two different sets of binoculars. One is a traditional Sears Discoverer 8X-17X 40MM, but the other is a heavier and over-sized Celestron Skymaster 15 X70 binoculars that are just too uncomfortable to hold for any length of time without a tripod. This Barska tripod adapter works well even with the heavier Celestron binoculars. Good value for the money. Still, for anyone using heavier Celestron binoculars might want to consider a more robust adapter like the Oberwerk Heavy Duty L Adapter which you can also get thru Amazon. I'm using this Barska adapter mainly for my Discoverer binoculars.