Bart is a well known 'web game' designer and has a web site at bontegames(dot)com

As for this game:

A simple premise: change the color of the squares while figuring out the logic by which to do so.

Published 5 months ago by Thom Bone

3.0 out of 5 stars frustrating
OK, you have to turn colors by tapping until all colors are one.
It's ok but I miss instructions. Real ones.
Not bad, just needs better instructions.
Published 5 months ago by Praetorianus_65

4.0 out of 5 stars A Bart Bonte original that is SO close to being great but JUST misses the mark, February 1, 2014
Thom Bone (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

As for this game:

Well, I have to ask, why? What's my motivation to even do so? I mean, there is no real penalty for just randomly clicking until you 'win' and no real reward for when you do. It just feels so.... unfinished. But! I truly LOVE the concept of figuring out the pattern to make them all 'flip'. It just needs.... more.... more game.

The game is written in C/C++ and packaged with the Adobe Air runtime (which requires the network socket permission for reasons only known to Adobe-- in this case it is no big deal as it is benign. I checked for network activity and found none). There are NO addons, no adware or spyware. This app is SAFE to download if you want to try it!

I will keep it around in the hopes that this quite clever developer makes a real game out of it. Simple is difficult to pull off and it can be brilliant, but this is just TOO simple. -1 star due to that lack of 'polish'. So, 4 stars. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely keeping me entertained, December 21, 2013
M. Fregia (Houston, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: furiosity (App)
This is kind of an odd little game-I find myself either trying to figure out the logic of each level (which I assume is the point!) or just treating it like whack-a-mole until it works. There's no penalty for random clicking or reward for using the fewest possible moves, so either method gets the same results eventually. I kind of like that I can be as logical or illogical as I feel like being at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars getting a bad rap, February 2, 2014
This review is from: furiosity (App)
This app is getting too many one star ratings because it seems like random tapping. It's not random! There are patterns to how the squares change color. Figure out the pattern and solve the level. It's fun! Similar to other great apps by this developer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to learn, engrossing to play, difficult to master, entertaining for all ages, nothing "bad", February 2, 2014
This review is from: furiosity (App)
It's pretty much in the title. :)

The rules are simple... tap squares so they all change from one color to another. That is simple enough until the difficulty increases as you progress through the 144 levels. This simplicity makes it playable by young kids. I haven't run into any toddlers yet and imagine that when my daughter was younger she would have been entertained just watching the colors change.

There are NO questionalbe permissions, no ads, no in-app purchases that sneak up on younger players. Nothing in the game but... the game.

Certainly worth the small price to purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great Bart Bonte game!, November 17, 2013
This review is from: furiosity (App)
As I searched for a new game to occupy the time, I recalled seeing some games made by Bart Bonte a while ago, so I checked to see if there were any of his games for kindle and, as it turned out, there were! This one in particular got my attention, but I had some doubts seeing as it had no reviews. But, to my exitement, the game did not fail to keep me entertained for a long time. Each layer has its own unique gimick to it making each level its own experience. I definitely recommend furiosity.

4.0 out of 5 stars first app review, February 2, 2014
This review is from: furiosity (App)
I'll say up front that I've never played other games from this developer before; this review will be based solely on my experience with furiosity.

It seems simple at first. All you do is activate (tap, touch, or click, depending on what device you're using) a square in the 6 by 6 grid. This might change the color of the square you touch, of a different square, or of multiple squares. The aim is to go from all squares being the first color on the board to being the second color. The responses of the squares you activate change in each level. Some are easy to figure out and some, not so much. On average, the levels get harder as you go on. After the first few levels, you may find that activating one square, DEactivates another square you had hoped would stay filled in.

There are icons at the top reminding you that you're going, say, from yellow to purple, in case you forget what the first color is. It might sound like it would be hard to forget the first color, but if you're stuck and you start randomly activating squares (the temptation to do so is great), you end up with 50% of the squares one color and 50% of the squares the other color, and you might need a reminder of which was color 1 and which was color 2.

The controls are simple. In the main play screen, there's a pause button. There's another button that resets the level to the beginning. The first couple of levels, it's very easy to just hit squares randomly and get to the next level without figuring out the pattern. If that's all there was to the game, it wouldn't be a very good game. But stick with it for a few levels, and it gets more difficult. I'm stuck on level 16 right now and I'm getting a little frustrated (in a good way -- I consider this a challenge, now), so I stopped to take a break. I'm hoping for some inspiration when I go back in a minute or two. I'm sure I'll have a few more moments of frustration before I get to level 144.

Things I don't like: there's no way to track your progress. Say you finally figure out a level, and you want to get your time or number of moves down. Well, you can't. (There's an option in the menu to restart at any level that you're currently on or have already completed. You can't skip ahead, though.)

I don't mind the lack of instructions. I've covered pretty much all you need to know up above. I don't think it would be feasible to explain the pattern for every level in a manual, and anyway, part of the challenge/fun is figuring out the rules for each level.

For anyone considering using this in the BlueStacks Android emulator, it works very well (in the Mac beta version, at least).

5.0 out of 5 stars Frustrating Fun, February 2, 2014
This review is from: furiosity (App)
A most enjoyable game. Downloaded it because I enjoy several other games by the developer. This game does not disappoint. Seems simple enough. Change the screen colour by pressing blocks on the screen. The enjoyable but frustrating part is figuring out the pattern that will clear the screen.

The first few levels are simple. Then, just when you think, "okay too easy; gonna put it down now.", the patterns become more challenging and it takes several tries to clear a level. And you're hooked!

Great faotd. Give it a try.

3.0 out of 5 stars frustrating, February 2, 2014
This review is from: furiosity (App)
OK, you have to turn colors by tapping until all colors are one.
It's ok but I miss instructions. Real ones.
Not bad, just needs better instructions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Low ratings from people with low IQ. Someone had to say it!, February 2, 2014
This review is from: furiosity (App)
Level 22 is where it really starts to get fun. I thought that the game froze on me. Seems like all the low ratings are from people that haven't even giving the game a chance. This is a great thinking game. If thinking is not your thing, then just move along and don't give it low marks. Some people are asking for instructions, geez i got to level 26 before taking a break and reading them. 4 stars is about my highest rating unless a game has no room for improvement. I wish you could change it to portrait mode since that is the way i was playing it. I can't wait to see what level just totally kicks my butt! I hope it doesn't come for awhile. Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars Not sure what I am doing but I am having fun., February 2, 2014
This review is from: furiosity (App)
It seems the object of each level is to fully change the large square to another color by changing the color of all of the smaller squares. Each level had a different logic in how the squares change color. Truthfully you can be all logical and figure out the pattern or you can just push a lot of squares until it just works. Either way will count towards a solve and since there isn't a point system for using fewer guesses or anything, I say poke away if you get stuck. I think it said it has 144 levels and I got to level 15 in a couple of minutes of play.

Worth a shot. It can be mindless fun or a real challenge, your choice.

furiosity