5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing but before you buy
I've been tutoring my dyslexic daughter (age 12) for about a year using this system and she has improved tremendously. She even made honor role this year. You need to be aware of several things:

Published on June 27, 2008 by Andrea R. Snyder

1.0 out of 5 stars Pre-school level system
Published on February 24, 2012 by hmccown

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely amazing but before you buy, June 27, 2008
This review is from: The Barton reading and spelling system: An Orton-Gillingham influenced simultaneously multisensory explicit and systematic phonics program

1) The system has 10 Levels; each level builds on the last one. (I think Susan Barton, the system's developer, estimates that each level takes 3-4 months with regular tutoring, but you can set your own pace)

2) Do not be tempted to skip levels. Level One seems inconsequential, but it is absolutely crucial that the dyslexic student learn how to distinguish sounds by deliberately listening for them. This is the only program of which I'm aware that specifically focuses on helping the student break sounds apart and then blend them back together, a skill that most dyslexic kids do not have.

3) The DVD training tapes are extremely easy to follow; even a novice tutor (i.e. mom) can learn how to effectively teach the system.

4) Each level, when purchased new, comes with only the tiles needed for that specific level. YOU ABSOLUTELY SHOULD HAVE THE TILES TO TEACH THIS PROGRAM!!!

I hope that this is helpful. I know the frustrations of being a parent of a dyslexic child who believes that she is dumb. These kids are not dumb; they are extremely gifted in other areas. I wish all dyslexic kids could get the help that they need. In my opinion, Barton suits this need very well.

You can Google the product name to find the site that sells all the levels of the program. Susan Barton also has very useful information about dyslexia on her site.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy counterfeit illegal copies, September 1, 2009
This is from Susan Barton, the Developer of the Barton Reading & Spelling System.

Some people are starting to list illegal counterfeit copies of the Barton System on eBay and Amazon and Craigs List.

You can tell they are counterfeit because the manual is in a 3-ring binder (not the original coil binding with a professionally printed cover in full-color), or the tiles are not included, or the tutor training DVDs are not included, or the Barton Linen storage box is not included.

We do not sell individual components (so do not buy a level that is not complete), and we will not provide any support to people who purchase illegal counterfeit copies.

If you are not sure if a listing is legitimate or counterfeit, please contact me. I'll take a look at it and let you know.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars Barton Reading and Spelling System is a great program!!!, December 1, 2008
I have personally tutored my son in Level I and II of the Barton Reading and Spelling System and I love it! My 8 year old son is very bright, but couldn't seem to grasp reading. After two years of struggling to understand and help him, we discovered the Bright Solutions for Dyslexia website explaining Dyslexia symptoms, etc. I read every word on the site and watched the videos produced by the Barton creator, Susan Barton. I was so excited. Her website read like my son's resume. But would it work?

A little skeptical, I ordered Level 1 and started right away. You use "letter tiles" very similar to scrabble letters, and the first thing my son did was build a huge tower and say "I'm gonna like this program!" However, the first few lessons were traumatic for teacher and son. He cried and was so upset we were doing "something else." I admit to feeling frustrated too. But, Ms. Barton's reminder on the videos to be positive and reassuring helped me be patient with him. And it paid off. My son is FINALLY grasping the fundamental concepts of reading!!! He is no longer frustrated. He was so excited when he read his first "chapter" novel last month..a BoxCar Children mystery. My younger son, who is not dyslexic, kept begging me to tutor him. And so I did. And within 2 months, he was reading too. I truly can see where this system could work for teaching ANY child to read, dyslexic or not.

I'm a homeschool mom and have tried several curriculums for phonics and reading. This program is very thorough and systematic. Ms. Barton is a true teacher. She teaches you what to do in the DVD's included in your materials, and then you teach them to your child. (Don't skip the videos!) The videos and the first few lessons might seem overwhelming at the start. But there's a structured, systematic method to her program that works!! Both sons took spelling tests last week and made 100. I was one proud mom!!!! I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars You do not need a professional, You may do this at home., May 18, 2007
Janet F. Guisbert (Mifflintown, Pa. United States) - See all my reviews
I have used this product at home for my daughter. It has increase her ability to spell, read, and sound out words. Before using the Barton Reading and Spelling program I paid $25.00 /hour for a tutor, if I could get one. This product really works!

5.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied Customer, December 25, 2008
Tutoring Mom (Northern British Columbia) - See all my reviews
I have been tutoring my dyslexic 9 year old boy (who happens to have a variety of other learning disabilities and issues to complicate matters)since June 1st of 2008 using this system. His progress has been exceptional. We are finding it is taking us 3-4 sessions to get through one lesson (in level 4) so it is fantastic value. I think that any kid would benefit from this program. I know that I have really learned alot too and I don't have dyslexia. I know I was desperate by the time I found this program. I sleep alot better now knowing that my son will be achieving well beyond initial expectations. He couldn't write a simple sentence when we started now I can dictate rather complex sentences with words that he may not even know the meaning of or seen before and he knows how to write the sentence.

I have recommended this program to other parents I know. It is not for the non committed parent though. We do 4 sessions a week and never miss one. It really is fun but it needs to be taught regularly.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Have for Dyslexic Students!!!!!!!!!, August 9, 2008
I have been working with my dyslexic 10 year old using the Barton Reading and Spelling System: An Orton-Gillingham influenced simultaneously multisensory explicit and systematic phonics program and I will tell you that it feels as though it was custom made for her! The progress that she is making is tremendous!!!! It is definately a "must" if you have a dyslexic child!!! My daughter started with the FastForWord program first which allowed her to get her sounds down. She then started the Barton Reading and Spelling System which is the perfect system to apply the sounds that she had learned from the FastForWord program!!! I can't say enough about this program!!!!! Get it!!! You won't be sorry!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Dyslexics learn phonemic awareness, January 13, 2009
Barbara Weber (Myrtle Beach, SC USA) - See all my reviews
I have used this program to tutor dyslexic students from ages 8 through 67, beginning at level 1. As long as a parent or tutor can pass the tutor screening test [...] he or she will be able to use this book with any student who can pass the student screening test, also on the same website. The level 1 kit comes with training dvd's for the tutor, the lesson book, and a set of plain, colored tiles, which the students touch as they say each sound.

Each lesson is so easy to follow, and the lesson pages provide extra material for repeat lessons. The Barton method is an Orton-Gillingham based, multi-sensory method, which dyslexic students must use in order to learn to read and spell. It has 9 levels, and I am currently using level 4 with my students. When students have phonemic awareness, they can hear individual sounds in words. The lack of this skill is why many dyslexic students omit letters when they write words. Book 1 of the Barton Method is used to teach phonemic awareness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Trust the Process- It works, February 8, 2013
All I can say is trust the process. I recently began homeschooling my 8 year old boy. He tested in the severe-profound range for dyslexia. Since using Barton (starting with level 1) his spelling has improved immensely as has his ability to sound out words rather than guess them, which is key. We went through level one quickly, but I think it was essential. Really level one is about getting used to breaking down sounds and associating that with the colored tiles (neuro trick). More about laying the foundation for the rest of the program than anything. So I would say it was worth it. We paid for level 1 out of pocket but now that we homeschool, the local homeschool enrollment program provides the Barton system with their site license. Where there is a will there is a way and if you are committed to helping your child read fluently I would research your local homeschool options. There may be a part time enrollment option that would give you access to their Barton materials. I live in a rural Alaskan village and I was able to find it, if you put your mind to it you can figure out a way to get it funded. It's worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars good program, December 23, 2013
This is a very thorough program, however it is not very kid friendly. It would be nice if the dvds were updated and if they made the program a little more fun to keep kids better engaged.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pre-school level system, February 24, 2012
My daughter was recently diagnosed with dyslexia and is in the second grade. I purchased level one of this system from a different source and was extremely glad they would exchange it for level two once I saw what was in the level. I'm trying to get level two exchanged for level three now but I am loosing hope with this program. I truly think that we will be half way through the tutoring program before we find anything useful. Here are the pros and cons of the system as we have experienced it:

Pros- great for early reading developement for preschoolers or students that are struggling with basic sound awareness. (we were teaching these techniques to our daughter at a preschool level)

Cons- Expensive for what you are getting. Mrs. Barton isn't consistent with her letter sounds (all letters except r must be pronounced correctly but r is pronounced "er" instead because there is little difference between the two sounds. We say erace not race... I always thought they were two different words [erase] but appa(e)rently I'm w(e)rong). Most concepts in this program are common knowledge and common sense. Our daughter's speech therapist was doing many of these exercises with her in preschool and kindergarten.

Overall I am extremely disappointed with this program so far. I have always been involved and a part of my daughter's learning process and I wanted to find a way to help her with her dyslexia but I fear this isn't it. Maybe I'm just to pro-active and so I've already taught my daughter most of these but honestly it is all basic common sense tips that you can get from anywhere without paying the rediculous price this program is usually sold for. The first two levels combined might be worth $50 total in my opinion.

Rate and Discover Movies