Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon March 19, 2012
For years Baseball America was pretty much the unchallenged leader when it came to minor league and prospects coverage. That has been challenged by talented others like John Sickels, as well as numerous impressive prospect websites, but BA still ranks as the best and most comprehensive. This year's edition of the handbook should help to maintain that standing.

Each team is given their own section where there are writeups for their top 30 prospects, including both stats and a fairly lengthy analysis. There is also about a page worth of general discussion about the organization's prospects, including how they've succeeded/changed over the past few years. It's interesting not only to read about past successes or failures, but also to browse the top draft picks for each organization over the last decade and to shake your head at some of the outrageous signing bonuses given out over time ($10 million to Travis Lee? Ouch).

One really nice addition to the BA Handbook is the addition of numbered scores and risk factors for each prospect. All prospects are scored on a scale from 20 (none in this book) to 80 (Bryce Harper), which allows you to at least guess the ceiling for each player. I found the risk factors more interesting, since they essentially tell you if a guy is a can't-miss (safe or low) or if you're dealing with a player who may just crash out before the majors (extreme). As a fan it's exciting and worrisome to see one of your team's prospects scored as a 65/medium, meaning they could be an All-Star but still have lots of work to do.

I think this book has wide appeal for baseball fans. For fantasy players, it's the best single source for digging out those prospects who may help you not only in 2012, but more likely in 2013 or 2014. And for fans of a particular team or just the game in general, this is the best way to find out whose coming along to help a team, and how bright one team's future might look versus another. This should be kept within arm's length during the season. An invaluable resource.
on June 1, 2012
I have gotten this Prospects book for years now and wouldn't feel the preseason is complete without it. It covers every MLB team and has the top 30 prospects for each. I find it to be an invaluable tool for my fantasy league picks and to let me know how players I haven't heard of yet are doing. I often find myself doing some research in past editions of the book to see if the prospects have risen or fallen during the current seasons. If you're a baseball fan, this book is a great one.
on March 26, 2012
I love the individual scouting report and grade on each player. There is a good organizational review for each major league team. The book is very informative. I only gave it 4 stars, because it came out in Mid-February, and there were trades that were in December that were not included. Players were in the wrong organization consequentially.
on March 16, 2012
This is the "Bible" for those who want to win your Fantasy Baseball Leagues.I buy it every year and it helps me win many of my Fantasy Baseball League's on ESPN.Or its a great book,if you just want to keep up with the top 30 prospects of your favorite team.It gets better every year.It also lists the top 100 high school players and the top college players that will be drafted in the Free Agent draft in early June.It lists the top players drafted in the past couple of drafts,and how much their bonus was..It also allows me to keep track of the trades that happen every year as teams trade prospects for players already in the majors.I HIGHLY reccomend this book for all Baseball fanatics.
on June 1, 2012
I buy the Baseball America Prospect Handbook every year. The main reason I do this is because I live in a city with a minor league team. I have all the players I see coming through here sign by their write-up. It is great to look at and collect autographs in.

For those of you reading this who don't know much about the book, it lists all 30 major league teams and has detailed descriptions of each major league club's top 30 prospects. It shows stats from every year of that prospect's professional career, as well as lists their strengths and weaknesses. Starting this year they rank each prospect on a scale from 20 to 80 with the potential amount of risk factor for each player ranging from safe or low to extreme. Extreme ratings are usually given to young players signed from the Dominican Republic and low risk players are ones who have been in the minors for a few years and done well and had September call-ups from their big-league club.

This is a great resource for pretty much any baseball fan to have. The only drawback is that the prospect world of baseball is forever changing. This book is printed in January every year and will not reflect trades made after its printing (an example is Anthony Rizzo being traded from San Diego to Chicago). It will also not reflect significant injuries that happened recently (such as Tommy John surgery).

As a whole, it is a very interesting read for people interested in fantasy baseball or minor league fans. I would strongly recommend this book as the general go-to guide for baseball prospects. This is coming from someone who has bought this book for many years in a row.
on March 3, 2012
I purchased the 2011 edition as well last year. Both books came in a protective package. This years (for the purpose of this review) came in excellent condition. Perfect. As if you would want a brand new book to be. This book (for those not knowing) is a listing of the top 30 prospects from each of the 30 MLB teams. An excellent guide.
on December 15, 2012
I won't say much about this product other than, BUY IT! It was a great read. It's always nice to read about tomorrow's MLB stars and see how they're progressing through the minors. Baseball America does a terrific job scouting each team's prospects.
on October 9, 2013
Great book, all the information provided that one would need to make picks for their fantasy team or just to learn about who's who coming into the professional lime light. This book is designed for the hard core baseball fan.
on June 22, 2012
Any person who is in a fantasy baseball league that allows you to retain players from one year to the next needs to get this book. It is the bible for understanding minor league players, where they rank, who is going to be the next superstar and who is over rated. I have been buying this book for almost 10 years and it always uncovers a hidden gem or two that I end up drafting.
on January 15, 2013
The print was so small that I couldn't read it. I thoroughly enjoyed last year's edition. But this year it was useless- unless I wanted to read it w/ a magnifying glass. I guess they tried to cram too much infromation into too little space.
I was on vacation, so I couldn't return it within the proper time. I had no trouble reading anything else, so the problem isn't me. I won't be buying it next year.