5.0 out of 5 stars The usual good stuff, and this year it has an index!
Published on February 18, 2010 by Hal Jordan

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe they had a bad year?
At the end of the season, I checked their projections vs. the actual stats. I won't rebuy. I put way too much stock in this book/their projections on draft day and my team finished dead last. This year I relied on my own analyses, I had more fun doing the analyses all winter, and I finished 3rd (half a point behind 2nd).
Published 9 months ago by J. Dietel

5.0 out of 5 stars The usual good stuff, and this year it has an index!, February 18, 2010
I'm giving it five stars, but my feelings are mixed. Given how much I look forward to it and how quickly I read it, and given I think it is the best guide out there to players and teams, five stars are merited. But, as always, I wish they took another couple of weeks and gave the book a thorough editing. Although I didn't find any errors as gross as last year's omission of the index, there is an unevenness in the writing that indicates that they are publishing what is essentially a first draft. For instance, consider this comment on Travis Ishikawa: "someone whose threat to right-handed pitching rated up there with a girlfriend's mom: inconvenient but unavoidable, so don't slip while she's in the room." I've read it four times and I have no idea what it means. Is he trying to say that Ishikawa (who bats left) does or doesn't hit right-handed pitchers well? If the book had an editor that sentence would never have made it to publication. Maybe the rush to publication has something to do with the timing of fantasy baseball drafts. Whatever the reason, year after year the Prospectus is less professional than it should be.

One other beef: Steven Goldman contributes a preface celebrating the Prospectus's fifteenth year of publication. A significant milestone, I guess, so some horn tooting is in order. But for a group that is so hard on the people who run major league teams, some acknowledgement of the Prospectus's own fubars would have been nice: The year they published on really low-grade paper and the print was smeared, the year the adjusted ERAs were totally bollixed up, the year the data on comparables had no relation to the text discussion, last year's omission of an index, and so on. And then there's Goldman's evaluation of Bill James. Now I understand that many in the analyst community are tired of genuflecting before the altar of St. Bill. But Bill James created the business these guys are in. Before the Bill James Baseball Abstract there was no market for this kind of commentary. It wasn't that the market was small or underdeveloped, there simply was no market for this kind of commentary published by a major firm and sold at places like Barnes & Noble. James created that market. Here is everything Goldman has to say about James in his discussion of the pre-Prospectus world: "Bill James came out with a book once a year, but skipped 1989 and then experimented with various flawed formats before disappearing altogether after 1995." This is roughly the equivalent of summing up Babe Ruth's impact on baseball by saying: "Ruth hit a lot of home runs for awhile, but then he got old and fat, his production declined, and he retired." If you read the whole of Goldman's preface, he is claiming for the Prospectus the role that was actually played by James's Baseball Abstract.

Ok, no more carping. If you like baseball enough to be thinking of buying this book, then you should buy it. You won't find a more complete or entertaining evaluation of players and teams. The book could be better, but even as it is, it's the best out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great resource to start a new season of Major League Baseball, February 20, 2010
Steven A. Peterson (Hershey, PA (Born in Kewanee, IL)) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Each year, I buy a Bill James book and this volume to prepare for the new major league season. Both provide a delicious array of statistics. This volume surely stands on its own, though.

The book is, for the largest part, an analysis of each major league team. One of the most intriguing statistics developed is PECOTA, the projected statistics for each position player and pitcher for the upcoming season. Lots of fun when a season is over the check out the predictions! Consider these predictions: Batting average leader--Ichiro Suzuki; Home run leader--Prince Fielder; RBIs--Prince Fielder; Pitcher wins--C. C. Sabathia; Pitching saves--Joakim Soria.

My second favorite team in baseball is the star-crossed Chicago Cubs. They are fated, according to projections, to finish 82-79, so--by this book's predictions--another year without a World Series championship. My favorite team is the Pale Hose, the Chicago White Sox. Dreary news. They are predicted to finish 80-82. Looks like we won't be having an "el" series.

Let's take a look at the White Sox in greater detail. The section begins with a three and a half page narrative. Then, the player by player record (the past three years of performance) and the estimate of the 2010 record. Gordon Beckham had a nice season in 2009--.271 batting average, 14 home runs, and 63 RBIs. For the coming year? PECOTA numbers: batting average=.273, 16 homers, and 69 RBIs. Another feature is an estimate at what will happen--12% of a breakout year, 42% chance of improvement, 1% chance of attrition, and 14% chance of a collapse in performance. Paul Konerko is aging. His PECOTA scores indicate continuing decline. 23 homeruns, .251 average, 72 RBIs. Long gone are the 30 homer and 100 RBI seasons that once characterized his productivity. Another key player is the relief ace with the bulging belly, Bobby Jenks.34 savers and a 3.50 ERA, a decline from a handful of years ago.

Just to provide another example. . . . The New York Yankees are projected to finish first in the American League East with a record of 101-61. Derek Jeter is projected to hit .286 with 11 home runs and 58 RBIs. 26% chance of a collapse and 37% chance of attrition. A-Rod? .276 average, 31 home runs, and 92 RBIs.

So, another fine volume. If I can, I will crab at the rather snide comments about Bill James, who, as another reviewer notes, helped create the market for books like this. That said, this is a must read for baseball's figure filberts.

5.0 out of 5 stars best annual baseball publication, February 24, 2010
The annual Baseball Prospectus is, IMO, the single best annual baseball publication available (and there's some dynamite competition - thank you Bill James and other sabermetricians). Lots of information and articles for the baseball junkie to read and digest here. Mine arrived the other day and I've been reading it non-stop!

1.0 out of 5 stars Maybe they had a bad year?, October 4, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Gift for Fantasy Baseball Loving Dad, March 11, 2011
... Especially if you're like me, a student on a budget. Last year's stats are readily available, so it's not so bad having those absent. The commentary is good and it's a great reference my dad doesn't mind making notes in since I only paid around $3. Between this book (I've gotten him the '09 and '10 books when they become dirt cheap) and ESPN's website, he always has teams that win, show, or place in their league. These books have also been a fantastic resource for my father to teach me about baseball history. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great reading, even for a novice, April 9, 2010
This is my first BP so I can't compare to previous editions, but so far I've been absolutely glued to it for the last four days. The writing is superb, and the information is concise without being overwhelming. I would not only purchase it again, but I will likely purchase future editions as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Different Way To Look At Things, April 7, 2010
This book looks at the up coming 2010 season from a different way. It not only predicts a teams fate, it also predicts individual players performance for the up coming season. I like this different point of view.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mind-Boggling Baseball Bible, March 30, 2010
N. Bilmes "bookaholic" (Vernon, CT United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
BP 2010 delivers the goods. Projections for every player based on the famed PECOTA scores; mini-essays on each player of relevance in the majors and most from the minors; mega-essays for each major league team that delve into the philosophy and player development programs of all the teams. Even, better, the list of the top-100 prospects in the game at the back of the book.

I read the entire book over the course of 3 weeks, as there is too much information to be absorbed from a fast reading. The book has been on the desk next to me during all of my fantasy baseball drafts, and when I need to go looking for upside in the late rounds, that prospect list is invaluable.

This year's version has far fewer typos than last year's!

5.0 out of 5 stars Book for the casually serious fan, March 25, 2010
If you are serious about baseball, this book gives an insiders look with strong statistics but is readily accessible to someone who is not a math geek.

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Book of it's Kind, March 19, 2010
If you're a fan of the game and don't read BP, you might be misinformed, if not ill informed, about baseball. Great stuff, as usual. Highly recommended and thankfully there's an index this year.

Baseball Prospectus 2010
Baseball Prospectus 2010 by Baseball Prospectus (Paperback - February 22, 2010)
Used & New from: $1.98