5.0 out of 5 stars All of the books in this series are wonderful!
My son is 6 but can read at a 5th grade level, and he loves all of these books. The color photos and the way they explain things, is perfect to grasp the attention of both children and adults. I wish I had these when I was in school.
Published on April 4, 2011 by rain4

2.0 out of 5 stars Good content, not practical for any age group.
I don't know what age level these are for. The language is complex enough for maybe an 8-10 year old, but then there's no pictures of real things...it's all cartoons. I don't know why.
Published 4 months ago by Chelsea Richter

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars All of the books in this series are wonderful!, April 4, 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars Love this series of books!, October 13, 2011
I came across one of the books in this series in the gift shop at the Franklin Museum and thought it would be great for my son who just started college. He has some tough classes that require a lot of memorization and these books are perfect for that... takes tough topics and breaks them down into terms easier to understand. They have great visuals too. Ended up buying 3 of them "The Period Table", "Chemistry" and "The Human Body". His study partner loved them and I bought a set for her too. Great books!

4.0 out of 5 stars Buy this book despite my reservations, December 18, 2013
guitar geek (near Boston, MA) - See all my reviews
This review applies to MOST of the Basher books as they all seem to share the same mix of excellence and failure.

First, these books are GREAT in that they present some of the terminology/jargon of the subject matter in a way that seems to interest small children! (in my experience, ages 4-7 seems about right) This is actually a BIG DEAL, as the books reliably deal in wonderfully important subjects. For this, I highly recommend them and thank the authors and publishers for their effort!

However... there are two ways in which I find these books to be terribly disappointing:

1) The attempts to make each entry clever and fun raise the effective reading level high above the target audience. Clever puns and delightfully descriptive diatribes do not go over so well with young children just beginning to read. My six year old is completely ready for the subject matter, but struggles to the point of giving up (!!) trying to manage the prose.

2) IMHO, the attempts at fun language and clever characterizations often work to obscure the simplicity of the subject matter at hand. As a scientist who understands many of the concepts under discussion, I often find myself marveling at how these descriptions express an opaque and incomprehensible version of what are fundamentally simple ideas.

*sigh*

Basher Guys... I LOVE what you are trying to do. IMHO, if you can find a way to simplify the prose, and not let "characterizations" get in the way of "simple explanations", then you will be changing the WORLD!!

So despite my reservations... BUY THESE BOOKS!... I think that as long as they use it to try to do better, these guys have TOTALLY earned our income!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Only Basher Can Make a Gallbladder Super Cute, August 19, 2012
I love Basher's illustrations, and I think it is great that he illustrates children's introductory science books. I recently read this to get a brush-up on my knowledge of the human body. I quite enjoyed it. Each chapter builds on ideas and concepts introduced in previous chapters, and rather than organizing each chapter by organ system, it starts with the basic building blocks of life (cells and other microscopic organisms) and progresses to grouping systems that work together in subsequent chapters. It is a fun read for kids because each organism "narrates" its own story of how it functions. Human Body is actually part of the Basher Science Books series; Basher has also illustrated a number of board books and picture books for toddlers that present early concepts such as Opposites and Shapes. They're really cute, and the kids at my bookstore love them. I highly recommend them for young reluctant readers or budding scientists 8 or 9 and up who want to read a basic science book without being overwhelmed by sophisticated details.

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating to My 9 Year Old, July 21, 2012
My son recently brought this home from the library and is reading it almost every night. He loves it! Every morning he tells me new things that he is learning, and we talk about it together because he is learning fascinating things--such as the liver which sorts the old red blood cells. I see my six year old looking through it too. The sense of humor that the writer has and the cartoon illustrations are really interesting to boys!

5.0 out of 5 stars My 14 year old thinks that this is the best biology book he's ever read. Small in size and easy for slipping into a backpack., May 20, 2013
All the books in this Dan Green series are great -- cartoonish but full of information -- a great way to make science accessible and appealing (and portable) to kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, Amazing, Amazing!!!, September 24, 2014
This entire series is absolutely amazing! I have a three and five year old who love looking through the pictures on their own. With the five year old, I read some of the actual text and with the three year old I just talk about the main ideas. I would say that the independent reading level is really geared for a 4th-8th grade level. This is a great way to introduce younger kids to higher level concepts in a fun and entertaining way. The illustrations are too cute, each definition is limited to one page and written in a personified and humorous voice. I am currently trying to collect every single book in this series.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, August 11, 2014
In my view, this book is well layed out with nice pictures and explanations that are not too long and provide just the right amount of information. My six year old son asked for this book and we are reading it one chapter a night. He has a lot of questions about the meaning of some words, but he still seems interested. He also asked for the Basher Science Biology book. I have a feeling we will collect many if not all books from the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these books!, May 26, 2012
I started buying these books for my son when he was 4 years old, the first one was the Periodic Table and within months he knew every single element and it's properties. I then got him the Biology and Physics books and he talks about Entropy and Schrodinger's Cat like an expert. Both me and my son are ADD and struggle with reading comprehension, but the pictures and the characters in these books make it so easy for him to retain what he is reading. He is now 6 years old and on his way to being a total science nerd like his Mommy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, July 8, 2014
A surprisingly in depth look at the human body. My daughter was fascinated with this book.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Basher Science: Human Body
Basher Science: Human Body by Dan Green (Paperback - 2000)
Used & New from: $7.12