Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Basic Butchering of Livestock & Game
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eli Paperboy Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 4, 2015
While it does put the steps into words, it could be so much better. Many of the details in the butcher process are vaguely described leaving the reader to figure it out for themselves. Pictures are grainy black and white or line drawings. It's ok for an overview, but at the end of the day it just identifies what you don't know and what to look for in a better instructional book.

"Basic" is an understatement. I would not recommend to someone that actually what to butcher an animal.
on March 25, 2014
This book appears to be quite informative and in depth. However, without an extensive prior knowledge of skinning and butchering animals, or having your kill right in front of you at the time, it's somewhat hard to follow. I would consider this book not so much as a "reader" but more of a guide.
on September 2, 2014
This is a basic book, just as the title describes. John Mettler does a good job of describing and illustrating the processing of butchering livestock and game. This book, by no means made me a butcher, but it did get me through butchering my first hog without incident. For your average person interested in processing your own meat I would recommend this book. I loved most that the author wrote on a level that a basic novice such as myself could grasp. Take a look at this book before your jump head first into processing your meat. You will appreciate the knowledge.
on September 15, 2008
Great reference guide for the beginner butcher. Using instructions from this book I processed my own pig from the kill to the freezer in about 3 hours.
on October 21, 2013
I would think twice about purchasing this book if you are mainly interested in step-by-step info on butchering poultry. The sections for larger animals (deer, cattle, etc.) seem very thorough and have lots of illustrations, but the section on chickens is about 5 pages with very few pictures.
on May 2, 2011
In the hopes of being on a farm within the next few years and raising some basic livestock for meat, eggs and milk, I bought this book to see how difficult it would be to process my own meat. I honestly believe I'll be able to do it myself. Granted, I'm not one to have ever carved a turkey but the details and diagrams given in this book appear to be very straight forward and accurate. I guess I won't know until the first time I have to step up to the plate but at least I know I have a good reference point to start from.
on October 19, 2010
Overall I found this book informative - particularily the chapter on beef. It appeared to me that the author had either lost interest or got tired doing the last half of the book. The content for the last half of the book seemed "thin" but then how many people have an interest in processing squirrels and racoons?
on April 27, 2012
When I took Basic Butchering at Princeton, there was really no standard text. We relied heavily on meat folklore and, inevitably, trial and error, or "trial and terror" as Dr. Asinusall used to say. Somewhat ironically, this was not the case with Advanced Butchering, where any number of texts, some more readable than others, have been and remain in vogue. For the budding butcher in your family or even the casual hunter, "BB" makes a great Christmas gift. You might also include the standard companion in the series, "Basic Refrigeration of Livestock & Game." These days both certification and continuing ed exams place considerable emphasis on meat temperature and, more recently, basic meat air and vent filtration systems.
on November 8, 2015
In our uncertain world we have all lost a lot of basic knowledge of how to "process" food for ourselves. Used to be lots and lots of people understood how to handle meats. Even all the hunters today don't know how to cook a pigeon breast wrapped in bacon on an open fire - now that just how to get the breast from the bird, but how many know it? Dad and grandpa taught me a lot and I know what I can do. Break a chicken's neck and drain and cook for dinner? Yep.
on June 22, 2016
The book makes a decent attempt at teaching meat processing: stunning, slaughtering, gutting, skinning, quartering and butchering. It uses a fair amount of diagrams to illustrate the process, but some stuff is inevitably left to paragraphs of un-illustrated instructions. I have the kindle version and many of the diagrams don't match exactly whats being discussed in the preceding paragraph. Ofcourse I think that its impossible to learn such a skill by reading a book alone ... I would recommend people to view some videos on youtube for learning the crude outline of how to do things, and then read this book as a reference to hone your method and learn expert tips etc. If you just rely on this book you'll likely be lost.